Retro Gamer Gaffes - Issue 27

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sandinista

Re:

Post by sandinista » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:03 am

boyo wrote:Gary Whelan and Nick are the other way round in the picture in my interview - thanks Daz btw :D
Beat me to it Chris :D My Space Harrier skills would soon show I am NOT Nick Hutt :lol:
Good Luck with Retro Fusion mate . i`ll be there .

sandinista

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:32 pm

And on to today's.......

I'm not 100% sure if this is really a mistake or not (I'll explain in a mo) but I think it's open to interpretation so I'll list it anyway.

Page 6: In the 'Hero Of The Month' section, bottom left corner, it says that the Japanese name for Ghosts 'n Goblins is 'Makaimura', which roughly translates as Demon World Village.

Now, I realise you only said 'roughly translates', but this has been niggling away at me all week as it didn't seem right, so earlier today, I finally went and checked my instruction manuals for 'Capcom Generations' on the PS1 which lists the Japanese titles for the earlier Capcom Games.

Ghosts 'n Goblins is actually referred to as 'Satan World Monster Village' :shock: Ghouls 'n Ghosts is referred to as 'Big Satan World Monster Village' and I can provide scans of the pages, if needs be.

As I say, I think it's open to interpretation as to whether using the teminology 'rough translation' makes it technically a gaffe or not, but I know what I think :wink:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:56 am

And one for Sunday :D

In Darran's editorial on Page 3, he talks about something that eagle-eyed readers may have noticed last month.

But within the same section, eagle-eyed readers this month may have noticed that Sega's Mega Drive receives a comprehensive six pages starting on page 42, not page 48 :D :wink:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:14 am

I'd like to know where the sodding Sonics list is. I still haven't found one of the little sods.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Devin

Post by Devin » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:44 am

Good idea for a thread! Perhaps I can finally put my pet hate of RetroGamer to rest :wink:

Third time lucky, here goes! This mistake is found in the Retro Price Listings for Philips CD-i.

Here's a corrected version...

----------------------------------
CD-i 450/500
Year: 1994
Rarity: 2
Price £30 (more with DVC)

Consolised version of previous models with the latter 500 series featuring an integrated DVC.
----------------------------------

Notice the 490 and 740 have been dropped. The former 490 was used in the professional market such as schools and institutions for training with VCD films. The other 740 is ultra ultra rare (5 Star Rating!) and is said to have been selectively distributed to preferred customers as a high end CD-i player. Thus very expensive! One other minor annoyance, it's supposed to be CD-i and NOT capitols with CD-I. It was CD-I originally but some bright spark replaced the I with an i later on!
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:42 pm

Cheers for pointing out all the errors, we (notice the we and not the usual I) will endeavor to diminish these as the month's go by.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:48 pm

I would like to point out an incorrectly positioned apostrophe in your
last post
:wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:50 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I would like to point out an incorrectly positioned apostrophe in your
last post
Sod Off!!! :lol: