Retro Gamer Gaffes - Issue 27

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ToxieDogg

Retro Gamer Gaffes - Issue 27

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:30 pm

Now, this isn't meant to be a Retro Gamer Mag bashing thread....I really do like the mag.....but I'm really starting to notice some glaring (and unintentionally amusing) errors now and then. So, without further ado, this month's gaffes!

Page 15 (the second page of the Back To The Eighties feature): Read the screenshot captions.....that's a rather funny looking Jack The Nipper in that photo in the middle, isn't it? Still, I suppose he could use the Sword Of Omens to fight off evil in Sudocrem City, eh? :wink:

Page 82 (The Golden Axe Retrorevival) Right at the bottom there....'I love the smell of burning Black Adder in the morning...' Don't you mean
Death Adder? :wink: I'm not sure Rowan Atkinson would be too pleased about that comment.... :lol:

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:35 pm

Big mistake: It still doesn't say MSX on the cover. ;)

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:56 am

A few people on another forum have also mentioned the need for highlighting and correcting mistakes - such as the ones you've mentioned.

I think this thread is a good idea, especially for a historical publication. It should help us freelancers stay on our toes.

RG could always do like Time Magazine and other publications do, by having a small corrections box in a follow up issue, or maybe a combined group once every quarter, correcting any small niggles that made it in.

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:06 am

Szczepaniak wrote:RG could always do like Time Magazine and other publications do, by having a small corrections box in a follow up issue, or maybe a combined group once every quarter, correcting any small niggles that made it in.
I know what you mean but a small box in the next issue to say 'apologies but in the last issue there should have been a screenshot for Jack the Nipper' are all obvious etc. If something is factually incorrect big time then perhaps a small mention but the odd mistake on a screenshot with the wrong text/picture i can live with.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:29 am

I dunno PSJ. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a screenie and tracked a game down because it looked interesting/pretty. The wrong caption on a screenie messes that up.

Then again, I find it annoying when there's no indication of what a game is at all.

Perhaps an online errata? I'll get them to make use of the website somehow ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:29 am

Someone else mentioned maybe bringing back or reinventing the Trainspoter award from YS.
Maybe include it in a revamped From the forum section with the normal question, start publishing the forums top 100 games list in some guise and the Mistake spotting from a thread such as this..?

Just a thought...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:39 am

Good point actually, be great if they could use the same Trainspotter award. Forgot about that in Your Sinclair.

Will keep with the whole retro mag theme as well.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:48 am

Yes , it was me who suggested it!

Would also keep the subject light-hearted,and keep mistakes in their correct context-as simple mistakes

Probably make some people read the articles more carefully,in the hope of spotting mistakes and getting their names in the mag!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

golgo13

Post by golgo13 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:30 am

Can you bring back to life the Your Sinclair Trainspotter award?

Crown the wise, harness the talented and cherish the lucky.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:12 pm

Oh thank god, Toxie's not dead. Was gettin worried there. Since the fall of RS hadn't seen him around for ages.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Rev

Re:

Post by Rev » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:58 pm

Szczepaniak wrote:A few people on another forum have also mentioned the need for highlighting and correcting mistakes - such as the ones you've mentioned.

I think this thread is a good idea, especially for a historical publication. It should help us freelancers stay on our toes.

RG could always do like Time Magazine and other publications do, by having a small corrections box in a follow up issue, or maybe a combined group once every quarter, correcting any small niggles that made it in.
Would the subscription price go up with the big jump in page count?

/joke

ToxieDogg

Re:

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:32 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Oh thank god, Toxie's not dead. Was gettin worried there. Since the fall of RS hadn't seen him around for ages.
Yeah, not dead, just taking a break 8) I can't access forums or gaming sites from work anymore, damn new company firewall :evil: As I say, I don't want anybody to think I'm knocking the mag, I decided to check in on the forum because I'd just been renewing my subscription in fact. :D

I was thinking about the YS Trainspotter award when I started this thread so I'm glad that it's already been mentioned...hopefully somebody will revive it because I never won one from Your Sinclair back in the day... :(

Anyway, yet another one (I think)....

Page 26 (The Boulder Dash feature): Is that section in the bottom left corner correct? I'll take it on the chin if I'm wrong, but I had no idea that Peter Liepa was involved with Batman: The Movie, Combat School and Arkanoid on the Amstrad, C64 and Speccy! :shock:

Remember Retro Gamer, Toxie's watching..... :wink:

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:32 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Page 26 (The Boulder Dash feature): Is that section in the bottom left corner correct? I'll take it on the chin if I'm wrong, but I had no idea that Peter Liepa was involved with Batman: The Movie, Combat School and Arkanoid on the Amstrad, C64 and Speccy! :shock:
He wasn't, and that wasn't in my draft either. I suspect the designer has used RG 25's Target: Renegade feature as the basis for the Boulder Dash piece and left the "Developer Highlights" intact.

For the record, Liepa's entire run of games, according to him, is just the first two Boulder Dash efforts and "Brain Jam", his Windows-based card game.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:33 pm

Lol, I didn't think so, but thanks anyway. 8)

I'm also not so sure that Tails real name is actually Miles Prowler, as stated in the Sonic The Hedgehog 2 bit near the top of page 48.

It would've kinda shot the old 'Miles Per Hour' joke down in flames, don'tcha think? :lol:

'Retro Gamer Gaffes' is a topic that could run and run, until somebody sends me a Trainspotter award anyway!! :P

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:05 pm

Load up Sonic the Hedgehog 2 mate, Tails' full name is there in plain black and white ;)