IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR SUBSCRIBERS/RENEWALS

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:12 pm

Good luck finding it in a shop :(

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:39 pm

Its in loads of shops...

I was also hit by the subscription ending thing, but bought it locally.

Don't back issues run a month behind normal issues? I always assumed the back issue stocks were made up of unsold returns from shops and wholesalers. I can't see why else the shops would faff about doing returns otherwise. If that assumption is correct, issue 28 will be available to buy in a month's time, so you lucky people will have two unread issues to entertain you.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

waeberd

Re:

Post by waeberd » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:10 pm

CurlyJ wrote:So I rang wanting to get issue 28, to be told I need to go find a shop that sells it!
Same here! With the tiny little difference that there is no single shop in Switzerland selling RetroGamer. Great mag & lousy subscription handling... big shame! :(

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:22 pm

It's not lousy subscription handling, it was an accident. I've had emails from plenty of people saying they're glad that they've been notified that their next issue will be running out.

It was a simple mistake that's upset some people, but I won't accept that it's because of general lousyness

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:14 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Don't back issues run a month behind normal issues? I always assumed the back issue stocks were made up of unsold returns from shops and wholesalers.
It depends on how the publisher deals with returns. A lot of the time these days, shops/the distributor just tear of the covers and send those back, as proof of unsold issues, otherwise the publisher may become liable for the returns cost, which may not be outweighed by the potential sales via the back-issues route.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:02 am

CraigGrannell wrote:shops/the distributor just tear of the covers
:shock:
Sacrilege
:x
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

waeberd

Re:

Post by waeberd » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:25 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's not lousy subscription handling, it was an accident. I've had emails from plenty of people saying they're glad that they've been notified that their next issue will be running out.
Sure, if you live in the UK the notification will arrive in time. Sorry to rant (and sorry if "lousy" sounded harsh, my english isn't always good enough to judge the "harshness").

Chaps, I love the mag and I'm pissed that I've definitely missed one issue. Isn't that just another way of saying "retrogamer is great!" ?
Please make it friendlier for non-UK users!

Regards, Daniel

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:05 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It was a simple mistake that's upset some people, but I won't accept that it's because of general lousyness
Being told to go and find your own copy when you have been and tried to continue to be a loyal subscriber is a bit lousy in my eyes. Not general lousyness, more like a specific lousyness from the people handling the subscriptions.

But I really shouldn't butt in. I get mine by DD sub, so have no problems.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:00 am

waeberd wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's not lousy subscription handling, it was an accident. I've had emails from plenty of people saying they're glad that they've been notified that their next issue will be running out.
Sure, if you live in the UK the notification will arrive in time. Sorry to rant (and sorry if "lousy" sounded harsh, my english isn't always good enough to judge the "harshness").

Chaps, I love the mag and I'm pissed that I've definitely missed one issue. Isn't that just another way of saying "retrogamer is great!" ?
Please make it friendlier for non-UK users!

Regards, Daniel
Many UK subscribers did not receive notification in time either. Mine didn't, I've had to source a copy of the current issue myself. Its not just an overseas issue, but it should be a one off problem and Darran did warn us it might happen on the forum as soon as he was made aware of the issue.

mr.zzapback

Post by mr.zzapback » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:12 pm

Argh, another victim here...why!?
Subscriber since issue 2 and now I have to hunt down eBay for my missing copy. Nyaagh!
*Creator of the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64* www.zzapback.com*

waeberd

Re:

Post by waeberd » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:38 am

mr.zzapback wrote:Subscriber since issue 2 and now I have to hunt down eBay for my missing copy. Nyaagh!
Same here. Just bought issue 28 on eBay for £13.21.... what a bargain!
:(

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:29 am

I only got the letter after the new issue had been sent out to subscribers - Anyway I've renewed so at least I should get Issue 29 early! :wink:

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:40 pm

I managed to get Issue 28 in WHS today. :)

Madjock

Post by Madjock » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:26 am

For the love of it, I can't seem to track down 28 in the shops, since I'm still reading 27 and have a GamesTM to go, I'm not too fussed, just seems odd to miss one.

waeberd

Re:

Post by waeberd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:53 am

got issue 28 today by ebay. Happy again! :-)