IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR SUBSCRIBERS/RENEWALS

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:16 pm

Just looked to take out a sub online, and was disgusted - can anybody tell me that if I want to pay a 13 issue sub by credit card I am going to be stiffed to the tune of £15.50 (ignoring 1 extra issue) over doing it 6-monthly? That's shocking!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:40 pm

So you've got the option of only paying £2.50 an issue, yet you're deciding to pay by credit card for an entire year (which is £15 more expensive) and are complaining about it?

People complained about a yearly sub, so we gave them the option of six monthly direct debit (which apparently enables us to offer the magazine at a lower price) and people are still complaining.

We just can't win :?

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:40 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:So you've got the option of only paying £2.50 an issue, yet you're deciding to pay by credit card for an entire year (which is £15 more expensive) and are complaining about it?

People complained about a yearly sub, so we gave them the option of six monthly direct debit (which apparently enables us to offer the magazine at a lower price) and people are still complaining.

Hey, a year's sub is 50% less than buying single issues here in Norway, so I'm quite happy with the price :D

Gabe

Re:

Post by Gabe » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:04 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:So you've got the option of only paying £2.50 an issue, yet you're deciding to pay by credit card for an entire year (which is £15 more expensive) and are complaining about it?

Well I didn't actually go through with it in the end, as I couldn't be arsed. But to charge more for a yearly sub (just because it is a different method of payment) is pretty shocking, really. And I didn't complain before about a yearly sub, so there. :P

I presume it's an auto-renwening DD then?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:36 am

It's a standard direct debit, so yes it would auto renew ;)

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:27 am

Gabe wrote:Well I didn't actually go through with it in the end, as I couldn't be arsed. But to charge more for a yearly sub (just because it is a different method of payment) is pretty shocking, really. And I didn't complain before about a yearly sub, so there. :P
It's because paying via credit card incurs a charge to the company you are paying (which then goes to Visa or whomever) whereas direct debit... does not or it's far less of a fee.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:41 am

Mayhem wrote:It's because paying via credit card incurs a charge to the company you are paying (which then goes to Visa or whomever) whereas direct debit... does not or it's far less of a fee.
For the record, I know there are various business reasons why this is the way it is, but I'll have to say it anyway...

It is somewhat depressing that when you (that being a mainland European) subscribe to a US magazine, you basically get it for free (or at least so incredibly cheap that it might as well be free), while UK companies charge significantly more than the combined cover price would be - though admittedly Retro Gamer is slightly less guilty in that regard compared to e.g. Edge. Ah well...

But let me add my voice to the choir asking of whoever is responsible for that particular task to keep more copies of recent back-issues (inlcidung the current issue) in stock. It just doesn't look very good when the editors (who, I am aware of this, are not at fault for the problem) only can refer potential buyers (who obviously are also not at fault for missing said issues more often than not right now) to e.g. Ebay to get them.

PS: The subscription website is a good thing to have, didn't know it was there until my renewal notice showed up (including a non-functioning login code unfortunately, but the one on my re-subcription letter does the job)

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:45 pm

Weblaus wrote:It is somewhat depressing that when you (that being a mainland European) subscribe to a US magazine, you basically get it for free (or at least so incredibly cheap that it might as well be free), while UK companies charge significantly more than the combined cover price would be - though admittedly Retro Gamer is slightly less guilty in that regard compared to e.g. Edge. Ah well...
The cover price of RG is 5 GBP. You can get it in the UK via direct debit for half that price in subscription. I don't think you can really level anything at Imagine for not offering magazines at less than cover price via mail.

As for US mags, well we've mentioned it many times here already but I'll reiterate... a lot of magazines in the US get HEAVILY subsidised by outside interests, meaning they hardly need to charge people anything in order to be in profit. That doesn't happen here in the UK.

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Mayhem wrote:The cover price of RG is 5 GBP. You can get it in the UK via direct debit for half that price in subscription. I don't think you can really level anything at Imagine for not offering magazines at less than cover price via mail.
Well, for one I didn't level anything at anyone, I merely observed something. Then, you'll understand that for someone who's not a resident of the UK, that option doesn't really concern me (and to be pedantic, obviously they _can_ offer the magazine for significanty less than cover price after all, as you're pointing that out in said example). Anyway, I completely understand that European subscriptions have to be more expensive, though I'd be really curious how much more postage to e.g. Germany than inside the UK actually costs - since that would be my guess for the main reason for the higher pricetag.
As for US mags, well we've mentioned it many times here already but I'll reiterate... a lot of magazines in the US get HEAVILY subsidised by outside interests, meaning they hardly need to charge people anything in order to be in profit. That doesn't happen here in the UK.
That's why I wrote this in my post: "For the record, I know there are various business reasons why this is the way it is, but I'll have to say it anyway...". I'd like to think I do know a little bit aout the magazine business, working inside the field for close to 10 years now myself...

I'm well aware that the US is very different in that regard to the UK (or Germany, for that matter) and that we can only be envious of the advertising revenue they can pull in.

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:37 pm

Weblaus wrote:Anyway, I completely understand that European subscriptions have to be more expensive, though I'd be really curious how much more postage to e.g. Germany than inside the UK actually costs - since that would be my guess for the main reason for the higher pricetag.
Having checked the Royal Mail site (though it may change in two days time because they are altering the way magazines are sent via mail), the difference in price between sending the magazine first class in the UK and airmail to Germany is just over a pound per issue IF the mail to Germany was sent via printed paper rate. If not, and it's sent letter rate then the difference is over two pounds per issue (which seems the more likely given the actual difference between UK and Europe rates).

Gabe

Re:

Post by Gabe » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Gabe wrote:Well I didn't actually go through with it in the end, as I couldn't be arsed. But to charge more for a yearly sub (just because it is a different method of payment) is pretty shocking, really. And I didn't complain before about a yearly sub, so there. :P
It's because paying via credit card incurs a charge to the company you are paying (which then goes to Visa or whomever) whereas direct debit... does not or it's far less of a fee.
:lol: I very much doubt the difference in price is down to that in itself.

Going slightly at a tangent, the DD is in response to nameless people complaining about not forking out for a yearly sub again (after the previous scandal), but surely CC offers more protection if it were to happen again (given that potentially you can claim against the CC issuer)? So it isn't even a safer option, either. Strange decision.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:55 pm

Well no... though it's about 3% I believe goes to the credit card company.

Still, the prices are consistent if you consider the old 6 issue sub via credit card (£21) which is what I had before I just renewed. I guess by pushing for it this way, there is a super incentive for people to sub. Why this way and not via credit card? You'd have to ask those in charge.

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:47 pm

Mayhem wrote:Having checked the Royal Mail site (though it may change in two days time because they are altering the way magazines are sent via mail), the difference in price between sending the magazine first class in the UK and airmail to Germany is just over a pound per issue IF the mail to Germany was sent via printed paper rate. If not, and it's sent letter rate then the difference is over two pounds per issue (which seems the more likely given the actual difference between UK and Europe rates).
I take it that the magazine is sent via Royal Mail in the UK... For European deliverys, Imagine seems to use the services of other (private, I suppose) mailing companys, as there's usually three different stickers on the plastic bag, with the last one from a local company - it just would be interesting to know how much cheaper this is.

waeberd

Post by waeberd » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:20 am

Hi folks,

sorry to add some (more) ranting, but this is really bad news!
Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately your renewal was processed after the label print for issue 28. We therefore have no copies of issue 28 available to send out at this time.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.
I had no chance not to miss #28!

Maybe you could send the renewal letter earlier, especially for readers
that are not from the UK... (I'm from Switzerland)

I've renewed the subscription online the same day I got the letter.

Hope you can improve this, the mag is quite pricey for non-UK people, for this price, I expect that it's possible to get subscriptions without missing any issue.... :evil:

Anyway, keep up the great mag, but please improve the distribution for foreign countries!!

Regards, Daniel

CurlyJ

Post by CurlyJ » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:44 pm

Im not happy at all - I found out my subscription has run out today. So I re subscribed and they told me it will be from issue 29 on-wards. I left it at that until I found out my last issue was 27.

So I rang wanting to get issue 28, to be told I need to go find a shop that sells it!

I am not N O T happy at all - Damn angry in fact. :evil: