Official feedback thread for issue 27

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sabreman

Re:

Post by Sabreman » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:11 pm

pottyboy wrote:And it's nice to get a mention in the 'From The Forum' section!
Darren, quote this in next month's issue and let's sit back and watch the fabric of reality unravel...

rich

Post by rich » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:28 am

My issue never arrived (I subscribe obviously) so I called them this morning, having read that various people here had received their mags days ago, and was told my sub had ended!

No notification, nothing in writing :(

So obviously I paid for another year, but was told I'd have to try and find Issue 27 in a newsagents because they didn't have any in stock.

Pretty arse if you ask me.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:39 am

I think Daz mentioned there had been teething troubles what with the office move and all, so I doubt this is usual Imagine procedure.

EDIT: Read about it here:

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1821

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:58 am

rich wrote:
Pretty arse if you ask me.
You're right Rich, it is pretty arsey, and I can only apologise for it.

As I've explained though, the subscriptions aren't actually handled by Imagine and we were just as upset as everyone else when we found out the information.

Hopefully you won't hold it against the actual magazine and if anything, it will allow you to take a sub out at cheaper price.

Darran

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:01 am

It's probably also worth repeating the obvious: if you're in doubt, call (or at least email) the subs dept, to make sure your sub's not done. Sure, you shouldn't have to do this, but mistakes do happen, and a quick two-minute phone call or single email could save people having to hoof it into town to find the latest issue.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:04 am

Sorry to ask another subs question, but...

If I chose the 6 month Direct Debit option, will it auto renew after 6 months or do I still have to sub again? I'm not desperate for an answer so can't be bothered phoning (I have 2 months left on mine).

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:07 am

Thanks for the spoiler warning on the last page, guys! Totally ruined a great twist! :wink:

Seriously, I love any mention of DD. The Megadrive feature was spot on too (I loves me 16-bitters, me), and the top ten MD games were nearly perfect too, loving the mention of Thunderforce 4.

Great issue.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:24 am

I love the megadrive feature. Much better than the snes one a few months ago.(proof that ye lads love the former more perhaps? ;) ).

I don't agree with the top 10 list though.

Except for the first two positions of course. Then again I haven't played half those games so I can't really say. My personal top 10 currently includes ''Ristar'' and my favourite version of ''Pac-Mania".

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:35 am

SirClive wrote:Sorry to ask another subs question, but...

If I chose the 6 month Direct Debit option, will it auto renew after 6 months or do I still have to sub again? I'm not desperate for an answer so can't be bothered phoning (I have 2 months left on mine).
Every direct debit I've ever had auto renews, so I'd imagine this one will do the same. I'll doulble check for you though.

Darran

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:39 am

Cornelius wrote:I love the megadrive feature. Much better than the snes one a few months ago.(proof that ye lads love the former more perhaps? ;) ).
You'd be surprised what an extra two pages can do for that kind of article. ;)

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:30 am

Quick question - Stuart suggests we play the original Outrun on MAME and even tells us what the ROMs are called.

People like us appreciate this kind of information, but is it crossing a legal line?

I assume not, or you wouldn't have printed it. I've just never seen ROMs named in RG.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:38 am

revgiblet wrote:Quick question - Stuart suggests we play the original Outrun on MAME and even tells us what the ROMs are called.

People like us appreciate this kind of information, but is it crossing a legal line?

I assume not, or you wouldn't have printed it. I've just never seen ROMs named in RG.
He's simply explaining the difference between the two sets. It's not as though he's actually telling you where to download them from...

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:45 am

SirClive wrote:Sorry to ask another subs question, but...

The whole point of DD is that it auto renews. They make a lot of money out of people who actually want to cancel, never being bothered to phone and do so.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

romanista

Post by romanista » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:11 am

okay, my comments

- darran, the 2 first issues were so fast in holland, now they are again 15 days late
- back2the eighties.. don't like the new random month thing, it misses the continuing story
- magic moents is fun, hope ,more strange things, where was hunter (amiga) though, with windsurfing etc..
- special offer, still not possible outside the uk? why not with a pound more sending costs
- lucasarts, nice article, though they stayed lucanFilm to well into the amiga period though
- megadrive.. it's a good story, but the conclusion when you see the games i cannot avoid is: when you take away gunstar and sonic, is it's importance as catalyst not more important than the games you can play now (amiga ports, old games in sport franchises etc.) .. i don't see a reason to buy it now..
and beats of rage should have been mentioned..
- zelda: great research again john... don't really understand your start.. was it so hard to get a CDi? (you could have borrowed my brother's)
- outrun, the definitive remains a favourite feature of mine, even though stu not really likes the series until outrun 2, good that mame is mentioned in the correct way
- actraiser.. nice find, thoguh the mode 7 stuff seems not really addinbg anything to the article, amiga demo logo's were 100x more impressive at the time
- gomola speed.. i want a pc engine.. great to read about new things
- magic knight - don't know i'm missing what the game was really about for some reason
- hard drivin' - was a crap coinup
- retrorated, darran, can't believe you're reviewing Gunstar at this moment in time, and didn't read all the discussion there has been about the longevity, mainly a question of using the correct mode (Stu can tell you all about his discussions with eurogamer about it)
-robotron: bit skimmy feature to deserve a mention about on the frond page, still waiting on the definitive on the series
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:40 pm

To be honest, I agree with Stu.

Outrun was never that great a game.

Outrun 2/2006 are superb at what they are.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com