Official feedback thread for issue 27

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

KW

Re:

Post by KW » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:43 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Have subs actually got their copy yet?
I dunno, but the flipping writers still haven't...

:evil:
They are going out today, I was told that this was the issue all your subs would be starting from. Obviously not...
Heh. I haven't got mine yet either.

This is a conspiracy against writers of the magazine :shock:

ToxieDogg

Re:

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:08 pm

Sabreman wrote:Another good issue, really I was interested in two features - Lucasarts and Magic Knight, and they certainly didn't disappoint :)
Magic Knight turning out to be female was a shocker of Samus Aran proportions!!! :shock:

sandinista

Post by sandinista » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Best issue for a while , and the first one I`ve bought in ages . The Funspot and the Retro Fusion articles are excellent . Funspot deserved much more space though :cry:

sandinista

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:16 pm

sandinista wrote:Best issue for a while , and the first one I`ve bought in ages
Hopw do you know the former considering the latter?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:33 pm

Genecyst the best MD emu?

Maybe in 1999.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

sandinista

Re:

Post by sandinista » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:19 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
sandinista wrote:Best issue for a while , and the first one I`ve bought in ages
Hopw do you know the former considering the latter?
Because I read the mag in the Newsagents first ...... soon tell whether there`s anything of interest . I`m not into console gaming . Arcade or MAME stuff and I`ll buy it . Unfortunately ( for me at least ) the new RG is very console biased ....

sandinista

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:27 pm

sandinista wrote:Because I read the mag in the Newsagents first
Several hours in a shop, just to save a fiver?

Of course if you're just skimming, then you can't really judge at all. You may see things that at first don't seem interesting, but it all needs to be read thoroughly to be sure. I've often found with RG that the 'worst' articles I read last are the best after the event.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:40 pm

I totally agree, sometimes i think an article is dull as anything but i'm often very surprised.

I can understand if its 1984 all over again and we're in WHSmiths reading the mag but nowadays a fiver ?!

Still think theres a lot of home computer stuff in it every month and not consoles

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:25 am

It's not even a fiver of course, it's £2.50.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:07 am

The definitive guide featues are the most exciting new addition to the mag in a long while. I am saving the Outrun one for when the young lady goes away next week, I think I will call Wednesday 'Outrun day'. I'm gonna take the phone off the hook, open a can or two, read the DG, then play as many of the games listed as possible. Surely that is the highest praise an article like this can get.

Just please don't start doing obvious ones like Tomb Raider.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:48 am

Dudley wrote:It's not even a fiver of course, it's £2.50.
You're supposed to buy 2. One to read and a mint one for the collection ;)

sandinista

Re:

Post by sandinista » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:00 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:

Of course if you're just skimming, then you can't really judge at all. You may see things that at first don't seem interesting, but it all needs to be read thoroughly to be sure. I've often found with RG that the 'worst' articles I read last are the best after the event.
:lol: Who said it was to save a fiver ? You presume much .. I check through the mag and buy it dependant on the content . Period . Retro Gaming covers so much ( and rightly so ) , but as my interest lies in the Arcade / mame scene , I pick and choose the issues I buy .
Next months looks interesting with an interview with Ralph Baer , and the return of the High Score article . Lucas Arts , Star fox , Lode Runner ? Not for me . This is my opinion . In The Feedback thread . Ok with you ? :lol:

sandinista

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:50 am

sandinista wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:

:lol: Who said it was to save a fiver ? You presume much .. I check through the mag and buy it dependant on the content . Period . Retro Gaming covers so much ( and rightly so ) , but as my interest lies in the Arcade / mame scene , I pick and choose the issues I buy .
Next months looks interesting with an interview with Ralph Baer , and the return of the High Score article . Lucas Arts , Star fox , Lode Runner ? Not for me . This is my opinion . In The Feedback thread . Ok with you ? :lol:

sandinista
Fine by me, I'm not the one who's missing out :P

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re:

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:01 am

sandinista wrote: :lol: Who said it was to save a fiver ? You presume much .. I check through the mag and buy it dependant on the content . Period . Retro Gaming covers so much ( and rightly so ) , but as my interest lies in the Arcade / mame scene... Lode Runner ? Not for me .
You may be more interested in next month's issue than you think. (Though there have been at least five Lode Runner arcade games, too.)

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:19 am

Just been reading the new issue. The quality is, as usual, very high. Lots of interesting features here!

The LucasArts, Megadrive and Magic Knight features were the best ones, although you didn't mention that Mastertronic re-released the first three games as a Spectrum +3 compilation :-)

But apart from that, a great issue. And it's nice to get a mention in the 'From The Forum' section!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood