Official feedback thread for issue 27

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:18 pm

Which reminds me, I think mine ends on this issue as well...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:58 pm

Hmmmm - did we ever get an answer to the 'Do we get notified when our subs are coming to an end' question?????

Would love to know when mine runs out :roll:

RetroTrader.Com

Post by RetroTrader.Com » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:33 am

Nice again guys dropped through the letter box this morning , had a quick flick through , only minor gripe from me is that Gamex from Jonathan Cauldwell is given a good review , which is great , but it only mentions that it is coming our on a tape version from cronsoft , when in fact it is also coming out in the real shops soon via us (Alten8 / Retro-soft) as well , this happened the other month to , with a mention of Bloodwych which is making an appreance on Spectrum Allstars Volume 1 , which should hit the shops on the 1st August (images etc of cover and menu driven emulator system over on the RT forum) , a list of games signed to us (which is not complete as not all JCs listed for example etc. is over at -
http://www.retro-soft.co.uk/games2.htm - and of course it does not mention the retro remakes , Mr Beanbag etc. coming soon , or that we are working with the C64 rights owners , the Amiga rights owners , etc.

Of course you guys are not telepathic about what we are doing (but after some vicious comments and feedback on some other forums - not here) I do not now announce products till heading for the shops 101% - but we are about to burst onto the commercial scene finally after a slow start - (cue the other companies letting us down , production costs , PEGI ratings , distribution into the shops etc etc) but we are here now , and we hope to give a whole new generation , as well as the existing retro game lovers a chance to play some of these classic games , and all new classics like GameX , which brings me nicely back to the original point , Gamex is a top top game for the spectrum , but of course the bulk of people are not going to buy the tape version , but fear not as it will be making an apperance on one of the discs ASAP - not forgetting , once the range (which is only £4.99 a disc) hits the shops with the first three releases on August the 1st (again Spectrum Allstars Volume 1 , Shokrok Throwdown , Space Tanks) we are then aiming to bring out a new release every two weeks , and we have about 30 titles lined up so far ! So minor gripe and small plug over , other than that nice issue guys !
Thanks

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:16 am

Well i was the one who gave Daren the information about GameX. I wasnt being spiteful about Retro Soft or anything, just i had no information on your website when Game X is coming out. I looked all over the site, not one word about it anywhere. I had to quickly email Daren the info as the deadline was approaching. I searched your site everywhere but not even a preview or 'coming soon' etc which is quite poor. Thats all it was, no malicious stuff from me at all even though we've had disputes on WOS. I want GameX to do well and sell lots for JC but when i looked for info there was not one word about it.

GameX is excellent and i hope it does well on the cassette version and on a single download if Retro Soft do that.

GameX is probably J.Cauldwells best game yet but theres no mention of that game whatsoever on your site. With the cassette release lots of people are waiting to get the emulator image as the hypes been great but it looks like its one of those 'deals' where you cant buy the game on its own but instead have to pay 4.99 just to get that one game you want. Surely putting some info about it, screenshot teasers etc would be great ? Over on Cronosoft you can now view an online flash movie showing screens of the game etc which is an excellent preview of the game.

You say "the bulk of people are not going to buy the tape version " which i agree with, a fair few people still buy the tape version but more the image. But instead people will have to fork out 4.99 just to play JC's latest game which is bad. I never normally play cassette games anymore but i've had to to play GameX, such a shame i cant get this to play on an emulator. If the games i want to buy from you were on their own i would buy them, bit miffed i have to buy the 4.99 cd just to get my hands on one or two games. Same with other deals in shops where it says 'this game is free *' but then the * explains you have to spend 50 pounds or whatever. I emailed Daren to tell him about GameX as i thought it was brilliant and wanted some exposure for JC. I wasnt aware of any emulator image. Any great new games you have then email RG, i dont think they'll be able to get all the news themselves without people emailing them.

Why cant you also sell GameX on its own ?
Last edited by psj3809 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:20 am

If we're not made aware of different versions of games, or the games themselves, then they don't get mentioned or covered. Simple really...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:33 am

Just got my issue through the post just now.

Love the new article - 'Why you must play....'. As the article says with so many games on so many systems its so easy to miss a lot of classics on various machines.

Look forward to seeing this article every month

Not normally into the Far eastern games but gonna try out that PC Engine game for sure. As the article says the PC Engine seems to be so underrated despite being a brilliant machine

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:39 am

psj3809 wrote: Not normally into the Far eastern games but gonna try out that PC Engine game for sure. As the article says the PC Engine seems to be so underrated despite being a brilliant machine
:D

Don't forget that Gomola Speed is quite cheap too...so it's a great way to start a PC Engine collection.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:55 am

Sadly for me my days of collecting home computers/consoles are far gone due to not enough space/wife etc !

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:09 am

WOW! Beautiful cover!

bolda

Re:

Post by bolda » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:28 am

markopoloman wrote:Hmmmm - did we ever get an answer to the 'Do we get notified when our subs are coming to an end' question?????

Would love to know when mine runs out :roll:
I phoned up the subs helpline last week as I needed to change my address. I aksed if I would be notified when my sub runs out and the girl said "yes". She was also able to tell me that I have one issue left on my current sub, so presumably I'll get a letter with Issue 27, or shortly after... will let you know.

Andy
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

RetroTrader.Com

Re:

Post by RetroTrader.Com » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:53 am

psj3809 wrote:Well i was the one who gave Daren the information about GameX. I wasnt being spiteful about Retro Soft or anything, just i had no information on your website when Game X is coming out. I looked all over the site, not one word about it anywhere. I had to quickly email Daren the info as the deadline was approaching. I searched your site everywhere but not even a preview or 'coming soon' etc which is quite poor. Thats all it was, no malicious stuff from me at all even though we've had disputes on WOS. I want GameX to do well and sell lots for JC but when i looked for info there was not one word about it.

GameX is excellent and i hope it does well on the cassette version and on a single download if Retro Soft do that.

GameX is probably J.Cauldwells best game yet but theres no mention of that game whatsoever on your site. With the cassette release lots of people are waiting to get the emulator image as the hypes been great but it looks like its one of those 'deals' where you cant buy the game on its own but instead have to pay 4.99 just to get that one game you want. Surely putting some info about it, screenshot teasers etc would be great ? Over on Cronosoft you can now view an online flash movie showing screens of the game etc which is an excellent preview of the game.

You say "the bulk of people are not going to buy the tape version " which i agree with, a fair few people still buy the tape version but more the image. But instead people will have to fork out 4.99 just to play JC's latest game which is bad. I never normally play cassette games anymore but i've had to to play GameX, such a shame i cant get this to play on an emulator. If the games i want to buy from you were on their own i would buy them, bit miffed i have to buy the 4.99 cd just to get my hands on one or two games. Same with other deals in shops where it says 'this game is free *' but then the * explains you have to spend 50 pounds or whatever. I emailed Daren to tell him about GameX as i thought it was brilliant and wanted some exposure for JC. I wasnt aware of any emulator image. Any great new games you have then email RG, i dont think they'll be able to get all the news themselves without people emailing them.

Why cant you also sell GameX on its own ?
Well to sell a single download , because of the paypal / credit card fees is not worth doing to be honest if it is not charged at least 99p for it , anything more than that and its not fair on the buyers , we would rather give people more value for their money, so instead we are doing - 50 - games on the discs , complete with covers and DVD case , for just £4.99 ?? I really dont get what the beef is with some retro fans , when we are bringing back for people to play on easy to use menu driven systems for current PCs , and doing it for such a cheap price ??

Whats better 50 games for £4.99 , or one for 99p ?? For info , the newer downloadtrader.com will sell packages of downloads , when there is a moment to finish it , but the current time scale means that will be done when the first batch of discs start hitting the shops , and we have room to breath - I agree , as per my first post , unless Darren is told about releases how can he print about them , but as in my post until I have firm things to say I cannot either , for example a last minute change to Spectrum disc 1 , is the removal of JC's Super Fruit Machine , as until I did the PEGI rating forms , I did not think twice about the fact that with it on , under the rules like it or not it becomes an 18+ release which is madness , as no gambling simulations can be sold to under 18's - so it is being swapped and the cover art having to be changed - Cronosoft does not have to go through the PEGI rating system , as they do not sell in the shops , and so they can put out what they want , we WANT these to be in the high street (and will be) so we have to act within the law by going through the rating systems etc etc. there is huge expense in getting these things rolling , from art , to pressing , to programmers , to licensing of the games , to writing instructions , printing , everyone and their dog getting a cut down the line etc. it is far from removed as can be , as sticking it on a tape and selling it of a web site.

The only point I want to make to you guys , like the lynch mob over on WOS is that you dont know the full story , so please judge us on the final products , not rumour and spiteful words from some quarters. I admit we made a few mistakes back at the start , as we were promised things which did not happen ourselves which I announced and then could not deliver on at that point , hence why not announcing things till in the bag now , even though we have some stuff going on which will blow your socks off .

Give me a few weeks and then judge if we have done a good job for just £4.99 ok !
Last edited by RetroTrader.Com on Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:00 am

The 'beef' is i simply want to play GameX on an emulator. The point isnt that 4.99 is a lot of money when it isnt but do i get an emulator image ? If i brought the cd can i only play that game on the CD emulator ? Or is it an image file i can copy off and then use in the emulator i wish to ? I personally have no interest in the other games, its not a problem with the 4.99, i just want to play GameX. Previously i could play all of his games and would have been equally annoyed if Cronosoft said 'you can only get JC's game if you spend 3 quid on other titles' thats all.

Bit like when you can only get a special cd from the band you like ONLY if you buy two other cd's first.

The 'lets make money from old games' argument is a very very tough one and a lot of people wont ever agree. All i see is a retro boom and then some people jumping on the bandwagon trying to make money from it.

I purposely didnt withhold information about Retro Soft selling the image, i looked all over your website, did searches and didnt see anything about the game whatsoever. Being a fan of JC's games i bought the tape version and then thought it was so great i emailed RG to tell them. I'm sure once the cd comes out they'll also do a review of that.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:23 am

Let's keep this on topic please guys. Both parties have now made their points...

RetroTrader.Com

Post by RetroTrader.Com » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:26 am

Thats what you will get on the disc , GameX played on an emulator - plus 49 other emulator images , some from JC , some from all different people , see just some of the titles lined up here - http://www.retro-soft.co.uk/games2.htm - I am not going to open up the fight again in here , but still cannot see anyones problem with us selling the games and PAYING the authors , just like Sony is doing with the PSP etc Nintendo with the DS / Wii , Capcom with their games etc. plus by definition also Cronosoft , as they are selling the tapes (which as a matter of fact when they had a stall next to us at the last CGEUK - they wanted to take up the offer we made to them to be able to release the various retro licensed games we have on tape again , like the Scott Adams ones for example etc. but they never took us up on the offer when in the real world instead now just make comments about us on other forums which is so strange as we were happy to work with them not against them ), but anyway they must be cashing in as well then by your rules ?

Both retro-soft and retrotrader both have mentions of GameX on the front pages.

Emulator image of single game = 99p
Tape of game = £2.99 plus pp
CD of 50 games = £4.99 from the high street - tell me how we are jumping on the band wagon and ripping people off ?

And yes I am looking forward to sending RG a copy of it in a week or so's time.
Last edited by RetroTrader.Com on Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetroTrader.Com

Post by RetroTrader.Com » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:42 am

Sorry Darren most have posted at the same time as you - I agree - matter closed :0)

Regards