Official feedback thread for issue 27

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

KW

Re:

Post by KW » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:01 pm

romanista wrote:okay, my comments

- megadrive.. it's a good story, but the conclusion when you see the games i cannot avoid is: when you take away gunstar and sonic, is it's importance as catalyst not more important than the games you can play now (amiga ports, old games in sport franchises etc.) .. i don't see a reason to buy it now..
and beats of rage should have been mentioned..
Do you mean Streets of Rage? Beats of rage is a mod series on the dreamcast

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:23 am

romanista wrote:- megadrive.. it's a good story, but the conclusion when you see the games i cannot avoid is: when you take away gunstar and sonic, is it's importance as catalyst not more important than the games you can play now (amiga ports, old games in sport franchises etc.) .. i don't see a reason to buy it now..
Even with system exclusive titles that can be found nowhere else, like Ranger X, Comix Zone, Landstalker, Soleil, Beyond Oasis, the Phantasy Star series, Dynamite Headdy (sorely underated Treasure game), Alien Soldier, total seperate iterations of Konami classics, the Splatterhouse series, the rather nifty 007 James Bond game available, Shinobi 3, Quackshot, plus others?

Of course, as you can tell, I do like the MD (and all the other 16-bit hardware of that era), and so am a little biased. But I still find the MD worth owning and playing. Heck, I still sometimes discover a new game I'd never played much before. Only recently have I been really getting into Rolo to the Rescue for example.

There's plenty of reasons to buy one now... Though with emulation maybe not so much anymore.

EDIT:
Actually, Comix Zone was ported to GBA, so maybe scratch that off the exclusive list. And Landstalker is coming to PSP soon too.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:29 am

Wasn't Landstalker on the PS1..?

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:57 am

Nope, it was Megadrive only. You're probably thinking of Alundra, which featured pretty much the same lead character design.

Landstalker:

Alundra:

'Nigel' also appears in the rather disappointing Climax Landers on the Dreamcast:

Landstalker is currently being remade for the PSP - as John rightly mentions.

A called Lady Stalker was released on the SNES by Climax (published by Taito). It had the same isometric viewpoint and played very similar but it's nowhere near as good as Landstalker.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:23 am

Szczepaniak wrote: EDIT:
Actually, Comix Zone was ported to GBA, so maybe scratch that off the exclusive list.
Yes but the GBA version was rejigged to fit the screen. The view space is very limited and it loses the comic book page feel that the MD version has and therefore excludes the entire point of the game. The MD version is still the only one worth playing.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:25 am

duddyroar wrote:A called Lady Stalker was released on the SNES by Climax (published by Taito).
Lady Stalker? That sort of thing can get you in trouble.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

retroisland

Post by retroisland » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:20 am

This issue has to be one of my all-time favourites! I've been patiently waiting for ages on articles about LucasArts and Magic Knight and here they are! Also really enjoyed reading the boulderdash and outrun sections - well done you have surpassed yourselves this month and I'll certainly be continuing to buy the magazine!
:)
Visit my website at www.retroisland.co.uk

romanista

Re:

Post by romanista » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:30 am

Szczepaniak wrote: Even with system exclusive titles that can be found nowhere else, like Ranger X, Comix Zone, Landstalker, Soleil, Beyond Oasis, the Phantasy Star series, Dynamite Headdy (sorely underated Treasure game), Alien Soldier, total seperate iterations of Konami classics, the Splatterhouse series, the rather nifty 007 James Bond game available, Shinobi 3, Quackshot, plus ot
i was a bit cynical perhaps, but still, it feels that it's position was more important than itys games legacy..

still the article inspired me to buy the sonic mega collection for my cube today..
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

romanista

Post by romanista » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:32 am

oh, and yesterday tracked down gomola speed, what a great little game is that, thanx for pointing us to it..

anybody with NiGHts (excuse for the wrongly placed camel caps) expirience can comment on the similarities?
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:22 am

Been a while since I posted (Had a bit on my plate)

Pretty good issue. Outrun, MD, and Magic Knight were all good and the Zelda one was certainly an interesting read...
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:46 am

I'm so glad that people are actually looking for an enjoying the games we're covering. Whilst I can appreciate some readers are simply content to read about the games they've already played, it's great to see that there are just as many who are prepared to take a chance and try something new.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:45 am

Well the Gomola Speed article was excellent as i think the majority of us didnt know about that game. I hope that type of articles extended

I love retro gaming, its great using emulators to try so many different computers/consoles i never had as a kid, but with sooooo many games and so many 'cough' sites to download games from its knowing what ones to try apart from the big name ones everyone knows.

Finding a gem like GSpeed is great

yow

Post by yow » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:55 am

John S. and Darran, many thanks for the JagFest UK mention.

Cheers :)

flojomojo

Post by flojomojo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:51 pm

This issue has rekindled my interest in my GP2X, which is the modern equivalent of a Sega Nomad without the hassles of lugging cartridges or extra batteries. I love the Megadrive. Wanted to punt work today and stay home with F22 Interceptor ... :oops:

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:51 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:it's great to see that there are just as many who are prepared to take a chance and try something new.
Tell that to the leaguers - currently moaning that they'd rather be playing the Thrust they remember than Gravitar ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.