From the forum question for issue 28

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:52 am

Yes, I agree about that, but I don't remember Discworld 2 had any of those obscure puzzles. They seemed logic to me, after I solved them. However, Discworld 1 was really too difficult for its own good.

But to be fair, obscurity kinda belong in Discworld.

Cornelius

Re:

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:26 am

StarEye wrote:
Dell_Zincht wrote:Completing Broken Sword without looking at a single walkthrough.

At the time, all my friends were miles ahead of me on it because they'd cheated, but I refused any help as I loved the game so much. I can of course, now simply breeze through it, but it took me months to complete it for the first time, and when I finally did, it was a big achievement to me at least!
I completed Discworld 2 without using a walkthrough or hintbook. I hate using walkthroughs, you feel like you've accomlished something if you don't.
On the GBA version of Broken Sword I had to use a walkthrough because I was stuck and didn't know why. Upon consulting I found that there was a horrible horrible bug in this version which happens roughly halfway into the game where you get stuck without a clue as to what to do and you have to start the game all over again. I was raging!

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:59 pm

StarEye wrote:Yes, I agree about that, but I don't remember Discworld 2 had any of those obscure puzzles. They seemed logic to me, after I solved them. However, Discworld 1 was really too difficult for its own good.

But to be fair, obscurity kinda belong in Discworld.
That's why I said (possibly) DW2!

But the worst solutions are those where even when you solve the puzzle,you don't understand WHY that was the solution
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

khisanth

My proudest gaming achievment

Post by khisanth » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:52 am

Managing to stay awake long enough to go through all of Gauntlets levels on the Amstrad only to find the tape ran out at level 110 !

LinkoVitch

Post by LinkoVitch » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:30 am

A couple I can think of:

From the distant past of being about 15 and entering a gaming competition in local WH Smiths. Rules were each person got 2 goes at each of the 2 games, the highest score in 5 mins per go wins.

After 2 minutes into the 1st game the organizer turns to his collegue and says "I don't think we should let him have another go, he has already beaten all the top scores by a long way" :)

I owned on that day :)

-- or --

Completeing Golden Axe JAMMA arcade board on only 2 credits with a normal skill level :)
--
/
/_inkoVitch

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:17 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:Beating Ghostbusters on the C64 for the 1st time.........last month, 20 + years after I first got the game :oops:
Was it the article in RG last month that made you try again?
It sure was. Since Retro Gamer mag started they are responsible for costing me time and a blinkin' fortune. New Saturn, Megadrive, Mega CD(WHY?!?!), copious amounts of games for all my old systems, and my Sunday lie in as I now HAVE to go to the local car boot just in case there are any bargains! :oops:

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:34 pm

same here!

getting to the point where i am looking japanese versions of all the consoles i just bought!

LinkoVitch

Post by LinkoVitch » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:24 pm

me too.. I just ordered me a copy of Boulder Dash for my GC and also put a bid in on the Atari tape copy of Boulderdash IV :)

Need to find me a 1010 for my 800XL now :)
--
/
/_inkoVitch

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:12 pm

I also remember one-crediting (is that even a real phrase?) Insector X in the arcade. Man, I got some Kudos for that. I need to convert that to PGR 3 points. :lol:
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:39 am

The Last Ginja wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:Beating Ghostbusters on the C64 for the 1st time.........last month, 20 + years after I first got the game :oops:
Was it the article in RG last month that made you try again?
It sure was. Since Retro Gamer mag started they are responsible for costing me time and a blinkin' fortune. New Saturn, Megadrive, Mega CD(WHY?!?!), copious amounts of games for all my old systems, and my Sunday lie in as I now HAVE to go to the local car boot just in case there are any bargains! :oops:
Say it with me. Em-U-Lashe-On.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

LinkoVitch

Re:

Post by LinkoVitch » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:53 am

revgiblet wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:[quote="paranoid
Say it with me. Em-U-Lashe-On.
HERRATIC!!!
--
/
/_inkoVitch

thrashpig

Post by thrashpig » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:23 am

Figuring out how to use that stupid f***ing bit of red plastic that came with Elite on the speccy to enter the protection code !

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:54 pm

Beating my mate's long standing fastest time trial time on the first track in Mario Kart on the SNES... Only for him to come back and beat me again within a couple of days! That's it...

Farmer

Post by Farmer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:01 pm

Finally colouring in all the bloody squares on the Jet set willy, protection grid. Sorry Mr Smith, I owe you 70p - Is pay pal ok?

Farmer

Post by Farmer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:02 pm

Finally colouring in all the bloody squares on the Jet set willy, protection grid. Sorry Mr Smith, I owe you 70p - Is pay pal ok?