New Vs Old Wolfenstein 3d V Wolfenstein

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

New Vs Old Wolfenstein 3d V Wolfenstein

Wolfenstein 3D
62%
Wolfenstein 2009
38%

Total votes: 39

kiwimike

Re: New Vs Old Wolfenstein 3d V Wolfenstein

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:18 pm

Lol, can we vote for the original Castle Wolfenstein? Played it to death on the Apple IIe :lol:

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:21 am

RTCW is one of my favourite games of all time.
Never new/wasn't told by anyone/never read anything about it's supernatural element so it came as a complete shock.
Never had any interest in FPS's before this (well, maybe the original Unreal).
I appreciate Doom, Wolfenstein 3D for what they are but don't enjoy playing them.
I also have no interest in multi-player FPS's in the mold of UT or Quake.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Wolfenstein 2009 is just a mere update... it adds nothing to the ground-breaking original! :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:09 pm

Old Wolfie for me! Music & then speed of which you would run through the corridors was awesome!

Mein Leiber!!!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Old Wolfenstein 3D for me...just completed the XBLA version for about the 20th time :D

Flat Eric

Post by Flat Eric » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:37 am

Off course the old Wolfenstein.
PSN: FlatEric81 Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/retrostage

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:12 am

The latter for me ! I normally always go for the original but when i first got a PC i was playing Doom non stop, was never really into Wolfenstein, dont get me wrong shooting germans is always fun but i dont know, back then i just loved Doom tons and didnt give Wolfenstein a chance.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein i really loved and like the look of this new one a ton

richyrich

Post by richyrich » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:55 am

Shoot me down if you like, but I could never stand the original. No idea why, because I got stupidly addicted to Doom. I'll go the latter on that basis alone, but the Apple original certainly had a charm to it (if I'm thinking of the right game).

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:57 pm

richyrich wrote:Shoot me down if you like, but I could never stand the original. No idea why, because I got stupidly addicted to Doom. I'll go the latter on that basis alone...
pretty much the same here, I remember playing (or just not beable to get into) Wolf way back when it was released, with garish colours and poor story elements, it sux.... to be honest its was a demo for the DOOM to become =) although Woldenstien claims 3D its not, when compared to DOOM where you hve levels up and down, stairs etc, wolfenstien does not. its a 2D shooter dressed as a FPS. (yes you could argue that DOOM was not much different but please note, you had stairs and levels etc)

so Wolfenstien 2009 for me =) a much better game, removed are the farcicle commic elements and now its a REAL game to add to the wonderfull game of RTCW!

but gimmie Q4 / Doom3 / Unreal 3 anyday =D

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:30 pm

I was never a fan of the origonal, but I voted for it because the new one just looks like Generic Shooter Number ####

Zetr0 wrote: its a 2D shooter dressed as a FPS.
To be fair though 'FPS' wasn't realy invented at the time.

The origonal was a new type of game, the most recent one is just the same-old-same-old... On that basis I voted for the origonal.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:56 pm

I am going for the original. Wolfenstein 3D was the first game giving me the impression of virtual reality. I had tried the VFX flight simulator some time before, and Wolf 3D, with its smooth scrolling, gave me a similar feeling.
I've played Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I liked it: it was a huge step forward in terms of graphics and immersion. Unfortunately, the soldier's IA hadn't improved that much since its predecessor. Looking at the demo/interview on Gamespot, it seems that there has not been any improvement even now:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... stage-demo
Look at how the player stands IN FRONT of a firing minigun and survives.
Since it's going to be a game for both PC and consoles, I guess that ID tweaked it a little on the easy side to let players handle it with a joypad.
Sigh.
The best Wolfenstein game ever made, after Wolf 3D, was Enemy Territory. That was a serious game.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:56 am

It's got to be the old one. I've played every level umpteen times and know most of the maps like the back of my hand. I even did stupid things like try to get through a scenario using only the knife as a weapon; it's just about possible, but you can't really deal with the bosses properly. It wasn't just about the novelty either; I'd previously played Hovertank 3D and Catacomb 3D from which it was obviously derived; it just finally put the icing on the cake with better graphics, improved gameplay and a more fully realized concept. That it was subsequently eclipsed by Doom only really matters if you came to it late.

As for the new game, well, I just can't see it having the same impact. The genre has so utterly been done to death now that it'll probably be forgotten in about six months time. Certainly, there's nothing that'll turn the heads of the people that grew up on Halo and Call of Duty. I'd imagine their attitude towards it would be pretty similar to those of the Doom generation towards Wolfenstein 3D; i.e. wondering what the fuss was about.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:05 am

It has to be the original. I've not played 2009 but from what I've seen it offers nothing we havent seen a million times before.

Popcorn

Post by Popcorn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Played both to death.. LOVE the original.. the new one was just a fun but generic 1st person shooter.. instantly forgotten upon completion!

Original Wolf 3d has character and is still playable today! a true CLASSIC! :D

vanhelsing

Post by vanhelsing » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:12 pm

found the new wolfenstien to be more like an Indiana Jones adventure but like the lost/very ancient civilisation references