Hot Topic - Best Geoff Crammond Game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best Geoff Crammond game

Aviator
No votes
Stunt Car Racer
44%
REVS
3%
The Sentinel
18%
Formula 1 Grand Prix
35%

Total votes: 68

Hank Splendid

Re: Hot Topic - Best Geoff Crammond Game

Post by Hank Splendid » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:39 am

For me it's definitely The Sentinel. Being spotted by the Sentinel, and desperately attempting to move to a safe position whilst being drained of energy induced a sense of panic that no other game before or after has made me feel.

Zzap! 64 reviewed it and didn't score it as it was a 'unique experience' that didn't deserve to be judged by the same criteria as other games! (The review can be read here - http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzap20/senti.html)

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:59 am

Not a big fan of Sir Geoff (as Amiga Power liked calling him), I think Stunt Car Racer is pretty over-rated to be honest - but certainly I did get quite a bit of enjoyment out of F1GP (despite not being an F1 fan at all). A rather groundbreaking game for its time.
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:14 pm

F1GP on the Amiga for me.....used to love smashing up the other cars as a kid!

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:39 am

F1GP has been the very first and last racing sim game that I loved. Really, it was the only time I actually tried to understand car's tuning and spent whole hours on a single track to beat my best lap time. But not being a fan of racing sims, my laziness quickly took the lead and the passion wore out.
That's why I am choosing Stunt Car Racing (Amiga version) as the top game. It was spectacular, an exhilarating arcade; it required both driving at platform jumping skills. I never got tired of it and it's one of my favourite Amiga games.

redballoon

Post by redballoon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:12 am

I can remember when I got F1GP for my ST. After practising for ages I decided to do a full race IN REALTIME.
4 hours later I finished in first bursting for a pee and deciding never again to do that again.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:40 am

Yeah F-1GP wins for me, many many hours spent on this game, not only obviously is it great for single player but we used to spend hours having four of us playing multi-player games where you all have a car each in the race and after a few laps each you pass it on to another player while the computer takes control of your car, genius multiplayer and surprised it really hasn't been done again since not to my knowledge.
Stunt Car Racer was also a stunning game, really fun to boot, trying to stay on while scraping on the edge while on 2 wheels, the pressure!
Both games were way ahead of their time and deserve a place in my top 100 games of all time.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:47 am

F1GP. No contest. It was simply a joy to play plus it looked spanking, as well.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Well I had to Google him to find out who he was... but I had to vote for 'The Sentinel,' as it's just one of those something-special games that don't come along very often.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:26 am

this was a tuffy!.... Formula 1 or Stunt Car...hmmmm...

Formula 1 had all the thrill minus the wind blowing in hair and the smell of burned tyres on the track, but was unforgiving when you derailed off the track and pushing frame rate a decence pace with all the other cars on the track as far simulators go, this was the bomb.

Stunt Car from the outset, allowing a Nitro Boost to rocket you ahead of the other players when needed and to over come tricky jumps with a crazy track loyouts and smooth handling of the car, They are both incredible games, but I opted for Stunt Car Racer, simply because , your dropped into all action from the start, and hoping your chasie will hold from a blow out getting over the last hump jump ( :?: ) in a bid to make it to the finish line... just brilliant.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

stiggy

Post by stiggy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Stunt Car Racer all the way. It was worth the four mile bike ride every Saturday afternoon to my older brothers carrying my A500 and null modem cable.

Maybe if there was a jump or two in F1, it might have got my vote :D

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:56 pm

I'd of voted for GP3 if it'd been there - really underated now, but the F1 game which occupied the most of my time, I even did a full season at full length. Awesome game, although F1GP2 was close too.

(possibly not very) Interesting fact - F1GP2 was one of my first PC games, and when I had to do work experience I sent a letter to Microprose, who at the time had a building about 3 minutes walk from my House in Chipping Sodbury, I put down that my love for the game, plus Star Trek TNG a Final Unity and a couple of other Microprose games, meant that I was ideally suited for a Work Experience job there. Bastards never replied :(

As it is I voted Stunt Car Racer, although technically I shouldn't of as I only ever played the speccy version. My brother went through a stage of getting me 'big box' speccy games rather than the small budget ones I could afford at the time, and SCR was one of them. Adored it, still do now. Although I know the speccy version wasn't programmed by mr Crammond...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:23 am

Stunt Car Racer for me 100%, played that tons on the Amiga, superb game, so playable.

Never got into the Sentinel as a kid and all these years later it still doesnt interest me. Should try once more as i do hear good things about it but hmmmm !

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:57 am

I'll go F1GP as it was a game that I played to death on the ST back in the early 90s.

All the others are great though and even Aviator deserves at least one sympathy vote.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:08 am

Stunt Car Racer, without a doubt. The first time I've ever felt vertigo playing a videogame. Such an immersive experience.