Issue 67 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fred83

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by Fred83 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:26 pm

great present to recieve today it was :)

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:01 pm

Yep, got my copy this morning too. I've read the Retro Radar section which was a bit long to be honest and the second part of the Hudson article which I really liked. I was quite surprised to find my name in the mag once again with a rather generic quote where I was too lazy to look up what one exactly had to do in Phantom Hourglass. I only vaguely remembered it ;)

Btw, did no one else noticed the switched screenshots for Might & Magic VI and Heroes of Might & Magic in the time line?

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Stuart@retrogamer wrote:Glad people seem to be enjoying the new Op Wolf/Coin-Op Capers feature
I might go as far to say that its the best thing thats been in the mag for quite some time!
The content was great, design was good, lots of screenshots and a decent section on the conversions.
The bar is raised now - all arcade game features need to be like this - and it would be great to have one every month!!
I also think it's a brilliant feature and the best thing thats been added to the mag for ages.

Would love to see one on Double Dragon but to be fair there are tons of classic arcade games that could be done.

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:39 pm

I just got mine today. I haven't really had a chance to read in it yet. Lots of stuff that looks good though - looking forward to the Apidya article and part 2 of the Hudson one.
Oh, and I just ordered an extra copy - my mum wants a copy because I'm in it. :mrgreen:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:30 pm

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:Glad people seem to be enjoying the new Op Wolf/Coin-Op Capers feature as it took quite a bit of work to pull together. Special thanks to Rudy, Colin, David and Chris (I know at least one of them visits here) for their invaluable input into the article. We’ve more on the way if we can ever get the stars to align again.
Here's hoping you do.

After reading through it, I want to echo the comments of everyone else on here by saying it's a fantastic new feature & a very very wise choice of game.

I'd love to see a full low down on Missile Command - didn't Archer MacLean do a cool restoration project on that?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:54 pm

Utterly superb so far!

The extended coin op capers is just wonderful. I'm not even that big on Op Wolf but the way this article is set out is brilliant with interviews from both programmers and fans... It's just one of the best things I've seen in a while.

And finally, Apidya and SEUCK get the recognition they so richly deserve! (Massive thank you to Craig Grannell especially!) These are two of my favourite things ever and to read making ofs on both in the same issue was like my Birthday all over again! (Though I would have liked some mention of the "missing" stage in Apidya. Good story behind that one).

I never did quite managed to finish anything on the C64 version of SEUCK but I did a few games on the (sadly cut down) Amiga version. Me and a mate once collaborated on a Space Invaders clone with another battle going on the background! I should try and find the disc and get it uploaded some time... Was well chuffed with that and have longed for a SEUCK update since forever (I can't program for toffee but think I'm quite able at graphics and level design).

Now I need to order one of those Salamander T-Shirts (Darran actually has good taste!)... Though I quite fancy the Space Harrier one advertised in the back too!

And I haven't got round to the Bomberman feature yet but so far, this is a massive thumbs up from me!
Last edited by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:57 pm

@the_hawk: I've been trying to get Dave Theurer to do an interview for a while now. No luck so far, sadly.

@Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0: Glad you liked the SEUCK piece.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

CraigGrannell wrote: @Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0: Glad you liked the SEUCK piece.
Tell you what though, RG should encourage readers to start new SEUCK games for possible inclusion (if they're any good). I might have to boot up an emulator and work on something...

vic26

Post by vic26 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Did I dream it or does the Operation Wolf article say that light gun games have been around since the Thirties? is that correct?

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:48 pm

Read it through today, another stonking issue. Some great articles, like the OpWolf feature The Complete Bomberman and the S.E.U.C.K article, in particular.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:04 pm

vic26 wrote:Did I dream it or does the Operation Wolf article say that light gun games have been around since the Thirties? is that correct?
Probably read it right, if it was referring to those Wild West shoot-out things. Lots of fun, they were :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:27 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:@the_hawk: I've been trying to get Dave Theurer to do an interview for a while now. No luck so far, sadly.
I asked Tim Skelly about Dave Theurer when I met him several years back, as the topic of our conversation progressed onto people I was still interested in speaking to (this was... 2003 I think). His words were of the effect that if you get an interview it'll be a miracle. Here's hoping for a miracle then...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:20 am

CraigGrannell wrote:@the_hawk: I've been trying to get Dave Theurer to do an interview for a while now. No luck so far, sadly.

@Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0: Glad you liked the SEUCK piece.
That would be awsome!

If you could pull that off don't forget to ask him about the time he caught that hit & run driver on independence day!

Hopefully I don't sound like too much of a SEUCK up what I say that the SEUCK piece made for great reading, cheers!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:24 am

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 wrote: And finally, Apidya and SEUCK get the recognition they so richly deserve! (Massive thank you to Craig Grannell especially!) These are two of my favourite things ever and to read making ofs on both in the same issue was like my Birthday all over again! (Though I would have liked some mention of the "missing" stage in Apidya. Good story behind that one).
Cheers Steve, glad you liked the Apidya piece - I was dead chuffed that all three ex-Kaiko members agreed to be interviewed (that kind of thing doesn't happen often!) and it's one of my favourite features I've done for RG, so kudos to Darran for kindly letting me get it in the mag. I was considerably pushing the word count as it was, so unfortunately coudn't go into covering the hidden levels or 'Miss Honeybee' spin-off that never was. Frank sent me some work-in-progress sprite/background artwork which also unfortunately coudn't make it into the feature but I'll try and post at some point for you to have a look at.

Like others I also really enjoyed the SEUCK piece, and also the Bob Flanagan DID - great to see Paul's been effectively given an extra page for the feature by tidying up the reader QA into a boxout, any extra DID content is a very good thing in my book as its always been one of my favourite bits of the mag. And as others have said, great to have John back writing for RG too!

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:50 am

Szczepaniak wrote:Anyway, from what I read of the mag, Damien M. has quite nicely taken up the role of covering Japanese and slightly obscure subject matter - good man! I know Darran will say it's not that popular, but keep twisting his arm.

I'm looking forward to reading Damien's stuff when this issue arrives in the post.
I'm flattered you think that mate, glad you like my contributions! :)