Issue 67 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

hydr0x

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by hydr0x » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:17 am

GarryG wrote:
hydr0x wrote:What I really noticed though is the Bomberman feature. Why does it start on a right page and end on a left one? This looks horrible and as it has an even number of pages it wasn't necessary at all :(
Eh!?
Are you serious? Why whould that even occur to anyone... never mind seem a problem?

I read all that, and never once thought about how it was printed over the pages!! :roll:
Maybe its because I couldn't read it yet and only could look at the design rather than the text in Darran's video. But, the glory of the 2-page spread opening of such an article is completely lost here. Usually the left page is basically filled with some graphics and a headline and not much text. Iirc its the same here which means you basically skip the first page of the Bomberman feature. In short, having 3x2 pages looks way better than 1 page, 2x2 pages, 1 page again.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:33 am

Mr_Staypuft wrote:Great to hear John S has been found alive n well!
(I was worried he was doing a "Global Gaming" article on the depths of the Amazon, and just took a long time to return. :D )

I used to find his "pick a country" articles really interesting, and he kindly answered a few of my noob writer's questions back in the old "Live" RG days.

Looking forward to reading his article when my "67" arrives. 8)
John.S has a great knowledge of games and its good hes back in the mag. Must admit i was never a fan of 'retro gaming in Zimbabwe' write-ups, personally had no interest in those but its good to see a familiar face on the mag again.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:50 am

Im really enjoying this months mag (haven't finished it yet)

Operation Wolf feature was amazing - the content (inc the conversion stuff) was perfect and I hope that all arcade game features are based on that template going forwards.

SEUCK - another fantastic feature, just left me wanting more so I wish it could have been a little longer.

Jap computers - very interesting even though it was a little technical at times - there was reference to a game called "*****" - was that a swear or was that really the name?

Cover - just don't like Bomerman much and think that an Op Wolf cover would have been better.

Bomerman - as I said, just don't like the games much so it was a little too long.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

merman

Post by merman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:20 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Im really enjoying this months mag (haven't finished it yet)

Operation Wolf feature was amazing - the content (inc the conversion stuff) was perfect and I hope that all arcade game features are based on that template going forwards.

SEUCK - another fantastic feature, just left me wanting more so I wish it could have been a little longer.

Jap computers - very interesting even though it was a little technical at times - there was reference to a game called "*****" - was that a swear or was that really the name?

Cover - just don't like Bomerman much and think that an Op Wolf cover would have been better.

Bomerman - as I said, just don't like the games much so it was a little too long.
The reference to the "******" game comes from the original article it is quoting - read the piece again and you'll find out what it was.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:51 am

psj3809 wrote:
Mr_Staypuft wrote:Great to hear John S has been found alive n well!
(I was worried he was doing a "Global Gaming" article on the depths of the Amazon, and just took a long time to return. :D )

I used to find his "pick a country" articles really interesting, and he kindly answered a few of my noob writer's questions back in the old "Live" RG days.

Looking forward to reading his article when my "67" arrives. 8)
John.S has a great knowledge of games and its good hes back in the mag. Must admit i was never a fan of 'retro gaming in Zimbabwe' write-ups, personally had no interest in those but its good to see a familiar face on the mag again.
John's Global Gaming articles are still my favourite that the mag has done.

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:47 pm

Interesting issue, but the best article for me was 'The Making of Lands of Lore'. This was the best (and one of the last) Dungeon Master inspired RPGs before everyone went 3D, and as is stated in the article the artwork in the game graphics was excellent.

A few extra snippets of info that LOL fans might be interested in. I played-tested the game for Virgin Games in the UK and I'm fairly sure we spotted the 'key' bug mentioned in the article. I'm trying to access my old bug reports (which I have archived away on a DVD-ROM) but my new laptop doesn't like reading the disc at the moment so I can't verify my recollection. I think it only went out with the bug in the US version.

I also wrote a UK version of the game manual for the first LOL game, as it looked for a while as if the manual wasn't going to be forthcoming from the US. I wrote it, was paid for it, but in the end the US manual was used. I never did find out what all that was about!

It is a terrific old-school RPG though. I never saw the 2nd or 3rd parts though, and they didn't look anywhere near as good IMHO from the screenshots.
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Just got the new one today, love the cover!

After the standard flick-through:

-Hudson Soft are probably the 3rd best developers ever, so it's great to see the 2nd half of that thing. Should make for a good read.
-Wonderful to see John Szczepaniak has returned, my favourite RG writer and all that.
-But Iain Lee's still there! He has nothing to say! "Blah blah, I've got a Vectrex and you haven't".
-And the Retro Booty rubbish has been extended to THREE PAGES???
-I like the look of the Operation: Wolf article, one of my favourite games on the Master System, that was.
-Never played Apidya, but from those screenshots, it looks a bit "essential".
-Let's All Play is in there too, great :D
-Loads of reviews this month.

Seems like it's going to be my favourite issue since that one with all the Mega Drive sprites on the cover, nice work.

Oh, and next month there's stuff about the game.com. I LOVE the game.com!
Can't wait for that, hope it doesn't get ripped into too much.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Finished reading it today, had to double check back through..... collectors corner and the price guides/ebay bit has gone! glad to see the back of the price guides, but always liked collectors corner.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:20 pm

bensonrad wrote:Finished reading it today, had to double check back through..... collectors corner and the price guides/ebay bit has gone! glad to see the back of the price guides, but always liked collectors corner.
You guys read quick! :lol:

When I read the mag I take a good two weeks to thoroughly read it cover to cover. I guess I just savor it as I read it. :D
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:30 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:And the Retro Booty rubbish has been extended to THREE PAGES???
bensonrad wrote:collectors corner and the price guides/ebay bit has gone! glad to see the back of the price guides, but always liked collectors corner.
I assume that the way its got to be - some form of standing copy needs to stay. For me, I like the 1 page of retro booty but didn't like the T-shirts - they were very expensive and not all that!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:47 am

Wow, my old account still works here! I logged in for the first time in 3 years, and found a whole bunch of really nice PMs I was sent after quitting RG all that time ago. Thanks guys, I apologise I never got back to any of you. :cry:

I'm also glad you're enjoying the feature - that's the result of living so close to Darran. Regular visits and persistent nagging finally paid off for him. ;)

Anyway, from what I read of the mag, Damien M. has quite nicely taken up the role of covering Japanese and slightly obscure subject matter - good man! I know Darran will say it's not that popular, but keep twisting his arm.

I'm looking forward to reading Damien's stuff when this issue arrives in the post.
Bub&Bob wrote: Jap computers - very interesting even though it was a little technical at times - there was reference to a game called "*****" - was that a swear or was that really the name?
Actually, it was Sega's interviewer "censoring" the original name of the game (for reasons I do not know - maybe licensing issues?). The original Japanese interview is still on Sega's website (the English quote is fan-translated, fairly accurately), and they've just got circles in place of the name. It took the fan community to do some detective work and track down the X1 title which most resembled Bangai-O. Along the way they mistakenly stumbled across Kagiri, which I actually think is the better title.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:58 am

Szczepaniak wrote:WowActually, it was Sega's interviewer "censoring" the original name of the game
Shame - I was hoping the game was called C*nts :lol:
Anyway, good to have you back in the mag

rolan

Post by rolan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 am

hooray that looks awesome! Can't wait! (makes mental note to head down the shops later) - is it me or have the issues been getting more and more interesting recently?

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:02 am

Glad people seem to be enjoying the new Op Wolf/Coin-Op Capers feature as it took quite a bit of work to pull together. Special thanks to Rudy, Colin, David and Chris (I know at least one of them visits here) for their invaluable input into the article. We’ve more on the way if we can ever get the stars to align again.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:15 am

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:Glad people seem to be enjoying the new Op Wolf/Coin-Op Capers feature
I might go as far to say that its the best thing thats been in the mag for quite some time!
The content was great, design was good, lots of screenshots and a decent section on the conversions.
The bar is raised now - all arcade game features need to be like this - and it would be great to have one every month!!