Issue 67 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thevulture

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by thevulture » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:26 am

SirClive wrote:I have already suggested this to Darran by email, but if each of the main article types had their own subforum within feedback then the specific feedback could go in there and leave the main issue XX feedback thread for commenting on that magazine. It would stop the thread getting bogged down with the same arguments that the last one got bogged down with, but would still allow for that sentiment to be expressed.

What was his reply? he did reply............right? :wink:

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:15 am

Mine arrived Saturday, but saved it for my train commute this am.

Love the OP Wolf article, would love to see more on those that have lovingly restored Arcade Cabs to their former beauty, infact anything arcade is great :D

Still think Iain Lee needs to fill more his page with some text :wink:
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:22 am

takesages wrote:Positive feedback, especially online, often feels a lot like sucking up. It's also generally far less useful than negative feedback, providing that feedback is constructive.
Yep you cant win, you praise the mag and you get labelled as a RG fan boy, you criticise some parts and you get labelled as being Victor Meldrew ! I've been spoilt the last few issues as theres been a lot i like but i admit this one i'm not keen on BUT sometimes you are surprised when you read an article you think you might not like and are surprised.

But yeah just like many others i love getting the mag and its great flicking through that first time seeing whats in there. The back to the 80's/90's obviously bring back a ton of memories. Looking forward to the retro show in September and of course the next RG

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:24 am

thevulture wrote:What was his reply? he did reply............right? :wink:
:lol:

I only mentioned it this morning!

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:38 am

Sod the pint, I'll have a double-vodka and Red Bull :D
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 am

The Master wrote:Sod the pint, I'll have a double-vodka and Red Bull :D
:lol: Keep my seat will you.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:25 am

I wasn't going to post a reply, but it appears my original point has been blown out of proportion so I'll state it again now.

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH NEGATIVE CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK. It's a great way of evolving the mag and shows the readership that we're taking their points on board. I do however have an issue when the feedback thread is being cluttered up with the some rants every issue. I've done my best to always address these issues by moving them to new topics, yet they still get dragged up month after month and as a result the last three or four months of feedback have been a nightmare to wade through.

If I was ignoring the moaning then you'd have a valid point for raising the same tired argument, but I always try and address issues as quickly as possible. You might not like the answer but I do my best to always provide one. Therefore, bleating about it month after month when I've already explained things serves absolutely no purpose at all and judging by the pms and emails I've been receiving all it manages to do is wind up members of the forum.

I've never suggested that you can't leave anything but positive praise and i'd hate for you to do so, as it would make the feedback thread pointless. Bring up complaints about the magazine, and I'll address them within the actual thread - or move it, if the thread is in danger of being derailed - but what I won't do is give in to a few people who are trying to batter me into submission because a single feature in the magazine isn't to their liking. It's not hard to find the iphone thread or the let's all play thread.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:59 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I wasn't going to post a reply, but it appears my original point has been blown out of proportion so I'll state it again now.

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH NEGATIVE CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK. It's a great way of evolving the mag and shows the readership that we're taking their points on board. I do however have an issue when the feedback thread is being cluttered up with the some rants every issue. I've done my best to always address these issues by moving them to new topics, yet they still get dragged up month after month and as a result the last three or four months of feedback have been a nightmare to wade through.

If I was ignoring the moaning then you'd have a valid point for raising the same tired argument, but I always try and address issues as quickly as possible. You might not like the answer but I do my best to always provide one. Therefore, bleating about it month after month when I've already explained things serves absolutely no purpose at all and judging by the pms and emails I've been receiving all it manages to do is wind up members of the forum.

I've never suggested that you can't leave anything but positive praise and i'd hate for you to do so, as it would make the feedback thread pointless. Bring up complaints about the magazine, and I'll address them within the actual thread - or move it, if the thread is in danger of being derailed - but what I won't do is give in to a few people who are trying to batter me into submission because a single feature in the magazine isn't to their liking. It's not hard to find the iphone thread or the let's all play thread.
**gives Darren two thumbs up**

There's a huge difference between feedback (i.e. constructive criticism) and belligerent whining.

Constructive criticism is a good way to make improvements.

Incessant whining because someone didn't get their way is an annoyance and nothing but. I get enough of that from my kids at home. :wink:
Last edited by Jet Pilot on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:32 pm

Having spent some time reading the issue I think it's a really good one. The good points are:-

Operation Wolf article very interesting
The Japanese console thing I've forgotten the name of feature PC-98 or something (probably nothing like that), always enjoy reading about machines I know very little about - although the articles do seem to get shorter every issue.
Slap fight article good.
PSSST mentioned - always a winner
Clarance's C16 Retrobate review... I remember thinking this was a great review when I read it on the website.
Back to 80's/90's always entertaining
Lands of Lore thing
Bomber Man History good (although Hudson Soft feature a bit Hudson overkill in one issue)
... and the general standard of writing/editorial is very high as ever.

Review section was better now iPhone reviews integrated into other reviews, it just seems to sit better with me now they're not a separate thing. Still won't be reading them though, but that's up to me.

Didn't like:-
Iain Lee - smug and pointless, who cares what machines he gets rid of... he could sell them all and buy a collection of My Little Pony dolls for all I care. I really fail to see how his two paragraphs contribution to the magazine adds anything. I hope you're not paying him much.
(I'll whisper this) Let's all Play is just frankly a bit boring for people who haven't all played it. I'm a ZX Spectrum fanatic but don't really care what happens on level 6 of Jack the Nipper???? (who chooses these games... why Jack the Nipper? I don't remember it as a stand out game of the eighties). If I want to read people's opinions (and I do, I really do) I'll look at the forum (which I do)... If I want to read professionally put together magazines I'll read Retro Gamer but not the LAP section.
T-Shirt review??? They all seem overpriced to me, and not very cool at all. I like the other retro-themed gadget stuff, but the t-shirt thing felt a bit commercial to me.

In all I thought it was a good issue (and I got my name mentioned on the letters page) so it must be a great issue... at least as good as the Spy Hunter one, and better than the Metroid obsessed one.

Great work, still my favourite read of the month.

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:03 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
SirClive wrote:Sims 3 review :?
Thought we had done away with the non-retro/non-retro related reviews.
Since when was that agreed? I stated we wouldn't do any sports games in the future, but don't remember saying anything else.

Anyway I won't be visiting the feedback thread for the forseable future, it's far too depressing. I'm putting all my energy into making the mag as good as I can instead. I'm going to start acting like every other editor. Maybe then you might appreciate the effort we actually put in then. I'm all for constructive feedback as it's a great way of improving the mag, but i don't like to see the feedback thread bogged down with the same old topics, it's just getting incredibly frustrating and pulls away from everyone's enjoyment. There are plenty of threads for stating your disappointment for existing topics so why not use those? If anyone needs to get in contact with me then send an email to my usual address.

See yah!
Take a chill pill Darren for goodness sake. How many times are you going to throw a strop about feedback you don't like?
Maybe instead of going over the same old ground every month we could have a Darren's Strop Thread where you could flounce away till your heart's content.

But seriously, try not to take negative feedback so much to heart. There's always loads of positives as well and you know we all love you and the mag really. Chin up pal.

DRS

Post by DRS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:59 am

Surely everyone's missing the big story this issue... John's back! Szczepaniak, where you've been? Did your yatch sink mate?!! I reckon you've 'done a Hanks' and been shipwrecked on an island, finally escaping by strapping together a load of FM Towns Marty machines to form a makeshift raft... Welcome back lad! Though surely they should have scribbled in more beard on your retrobates pic ;]

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:36 am

Loved the Operation Wolf articile.. Retro Gamer is the only new Magazine I subcribe to/buy.. In my opinion its this era's Mean Machines/Super Play.. And the only magazine newer than Mean Machines I actually keep
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

merman

Post by merman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:25 am

DRS wrote:Surely everyone's missing the big story this issue... John's back! Szczepaniak, where you've been? Did your yatch sink mate?!! I reckon you've 'done a Hanks' and been shipwrecked on an island, finally escaping by strapping together a load of FM Towns Marty machines to form a makeshift raft... Welcome back lad! Though surely they should have scribbled in more beard on your retrobates pic ;]
Hear hear! John's article was excellent.

Very good issue guys, loved the Operation Wolf article which put all that info (conversion, creation, how to play) into one, and personally I enjoyed Let's All Play Jack the Nipper. (Apart from the fact that Herbert's Dummy Run is set in a DEPARTMENT STORE, not a mall as the caption said :wink: )
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:52 pm

DRS wrote:Surely everyone's missing the big story this issue... John's back! Szczepaniak, where you've been? Did your yatch sink mate?!! I reckon you've 'done a Hanks' and been shipwrecked on an island, finally escaping by strapping together a load of FM Towns Marty machines to form a makeshift raft... Welcome back lad! Though surely they should have scribbled in more beard on your retrobates pic ;]
What? John is back (one of my favourite RG writers)? Which article?

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:09 pm

I spotted him on page 1.

I'm not sure where else he is, as I haven't got much read yet.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V