Issue 67 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
NickLoTurco10
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:31 pm
Location: Cardiff, S.Wales, UK

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by NickLoTurco10 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:57 am

So it'll be THIS weekend then! Top!
Please visit my blog page http://www.hitthesport.wordpress.com

Amiga 1200, Blizzard IV, WHDload-massive!

User avatar
stulec52
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 pm

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by stulec52 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:44 am

I still don't have this issue yet.
hasn't hit the shelves here yet.

I'm only glad we're dealing with stuff that's already older anyway ,but still, the wait is killing me !!
oh, and then I have to pay $17 for the priviledge of waiting so long......

User avatar
Jet Pilot
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Kentucky, USA

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by Jet Pilot » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:47 am

stulec52 wrote:I still don't have this issue yet.
hasn't hit the shelves here yet.

I'm only glad we're dealing with stuff that's already older anyway ,but still, the wait is killing me !!
oh, and then I have to pay $17 for the priviledge of waiting so long......
Even with the overseas subscription rates being high, it's still cheaper to subscribe than it is to buy issues off the newsstand. Subscribing costs $10USD per issue (not to mention you get your copy about 1.5-2 months before it hits the newsstands overseas).
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

User avatar
stulec52
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 pm

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by stulec52 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:24 pm

Jet Pilot wrote:
stulec52 wrote:I still don't have this issue yet.
hasn't hit the shelves here yet.

I'm only glad we're dealing with stuff that's already older anyway ,but still, the wait is killing me !!
oh, and then I have to pay $17 for the priviledge of waiting so long......
Even with the overseas subscription rates being high, it's still cheaper to subscribe than it is to buy issues off the newsstand. Subscribing costs $10USD per issue (not to mention you get your copy about 1.5-2 months before it hits the newsstands overseas).
yes, and with the Canadian Dollar doing quite well right now, worth considering !
it's just a lot to shell out at one time.
Especially when every other mag here is about $20-$25 per subscription, but of course no where near RGs standards :D

User avatar
Jet Pilot
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Kentucky, USA

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by Jet Pilot » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:51 pm

stulec52 wrote:
Jet Pilot wrote:
stulec52 wrote:I still don't have this issue yet.
hasn't hit the shelves here yet.

I'm only glad we're dealing with stuff that's already older anyway ,but still, the wait is killing me !!
oh, and then I have to pay $17 for the priviledge of waiting so long......
Even with the overseas subscription rates being high, it's still cheaper to subscribe than it is to buy issues off the newsstand. Subscribing costs $10USD per issue (not to mention you get your copy about 1.5-2 months before it hits the newsstands overseas).
yes, and with the Canadian Dollar doing quite well right now, worth considering !
it's just a lot to shell out at one time.
Especially when every other mag here is about $20-$25 per subscription, but of course no where near RGs standards :D
Maybe this might help? Still some questions about the offer though (i.e. is it USA only or Canada as well?) It just started today, so hopefully some of our questions will be answered in the coming days. :D

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=16986
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Gabe
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:24 am

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by Gabe » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:15 pm

psj3809 wrote:
I know this article isnt for everyone, i personally dont mind it, brings back memories as it did the other month for that Mickey Mouse game, after reading the article i wanted to play it again so it inspired me to do that.

I mean the mags about retro games yet you dont seem to know about Jack the Nipper ?!? I'm glad the mag didnt 'dumb' it down as Jack the Nipper is a VERY famous retro game, if you didnt know much about the game then arent you even vaguely interested in trying the game out ? If i see an article about a game and i've never played that game myself i often want to load it up to see what the fuss is about. I might see a screenshot, see someone mention a retro game i havent played before so i'm often interested to see if its any good so i'll find it and give it a go. Specially MAME as theres a ton of games i've got installed which i probably havent played.

I cant believe you dont know how the game is played though, its like someone saying 'So this Elite, whats it about ?'. Its all about playing a classic retro game, i dont think they need a huge write-up on the actual game itself. Thought the comments from the gameplayers was interesting and even though i've played this game a ton back in the day i'll give it another go as its an 80's classic. Zzap Sizzler, Crash Smash, Amtix (whatever they called it), a huge hit.

At least give it a read or load up the game to see what the fuss is about. Think you'll dismiss it whatever out of spite which is a shame.
I'm sure you don't mean it as such, but this is an incredibly patronising post. Who says he is dimissing it out of spite? And asking how something plays is a valid question, and I think it's something that is worthy of mention, if only a sentence or two. You seem to be saying that anybody with an interest in retro has to know about *everything* retro, even if it was long before their period of interest. Why should anybody know what Elite is about? Can you not be a retro enthusiast unless you pass some rite of passage or something?

I think the problem a lot of people have with LAP is that it really does just read like a forum thread (especially when there aren't a lot of comments) - highlighted perfectly with one comment under the 'Best Conversion' header being (paraphrasing) "I've only got one version so I can't compare,". It's like you're listening-in on a private conversation; it makes the reader feel excluded.

I actually like the general idea of the feature, though I do prefer the execution of it in Imagine's 360 mag, where comments are linked by some editorial. Some have mentioned in other threads on the matter that it seems like the mag is 'ripping forum content', and whilst that is a tad strong, it's hard to refute based on the JTN LAP (adding a couple of box-outs is the only non-forum content in the article, really).

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6766
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:48 am

Never mind...
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18886
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by psj3809 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:54 am

Gabe wrote:I'm sure you don't mean it as such, but this is an incredibly patronising post. Who says he is dimissing it out of spite? And asking how something plays is a valid question, and I think it's something that is worthy of mention, if only a sentence or two. You seem to be saying that anybody with an interest in retro has to know about *everything* retro, even if it was long before their period of interest. Why should anybody know what Elite is about? Can you not be a retro enthusiast unless you pass some rite of passage or something?

I think the problem a lot of people have with LAP is that it really does just read like a forum thread (especially when there aren't a lot of comments) - highlighted perfectly with one comment under the 'Best Conversion' header being (paraphrasing) "I've only got one version so I can't compare,". It's like you're listening-in on a private conversation; it makes the reader feel excluded.

I actually like the general idea of the feature, though I do prefer the execution of it in Imagine's 360 mag, where comments are linked by some editorial. Some have mentioned in other threads on the matter that it seems like the mag is 'ripping forum content', and whilst that is a tad strong, it's hard to refute based on the JTN LAP (adding a couple of box-outs is the only non-forum content in the article, really).
Blimey that post was from a few weeks back.

It wasnt meant to be patronising but i was surprised he didnt know the game. Theres a ton of games in the mag i've never tried before but even before reading the article i might download it on an emulator to have a quick go before i read the article (Or perhaps read the article first which makes me want to try the game).

Okay i shouldnt assume but with retro i like trying out the 'big name' games to see what the fuss was about back then, many games i dont like (Pokemon etc) but i like at least trying them even if its a short time so i can understand threads about them better rather than moaning about how crap a game looks when i havent even tried it, not saying this guy did that but i've seen lots of other threads where people seem to slate a game by just looking at it rather than trying it out.

If i had never tried Jack the Nipper before or had even heard of it i would have downloaded it and given it a go and then the article would have made more sense to me. Granted he had no 'faintest idea' what the game was about but why not then download it or play it online somewhere to see ? Just thought it was a shame he hated that article about lets all play: Jack the Nipper, and was surprised he had never heard of the game. Download the game, give it a go, if you hate it after 5 minutes at least hes tried it

User avatar
hydr0x
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by hydr0x » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:04 pm

But features, especially LAP should get you interested in a game and give you an idea what makes it great and how it works. This LAP just didn't do that and as such misses the point. Why even have this feature if I can't learn anything from it?!

I never said I didn't like the game or that I thought it's a bad game judging by the feature, that's your interpretation. Also, judging by the Wikipedia article and internet presence in general you seem to overestimate the (worldwide) popularity of the game. Besides, are you actually trying to tell me you try out every single game you read about in RG that you haven't played? I have a hard time believing that, especially for stuff like DOS games.
Image

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:39 pm

Imho LAP is an interactive feature and needs to be read in conjunction with playing the game - hence let's all play
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809
Posts: 18886
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by psj3809 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Must admit every month its made me want to play the game after reading the feature ! Played the Mickey mouse game (Brought back a lot of memories), Jack the Nipper yet again (Been some time since i last had a go), shame about Moonwalker this month as i'm a huge anti-MJ fan but 'may' give it a go !

Think people should give 'Batman' a try on the Gameboy, brilliant Super Mario Land clone

User avatar
Duddyroar
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:11 am
Location: The Land of Wind and Ghosts

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by Duddyroar » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:37 pm

psj3809 wrote:Think people should give 'Batman' a try on the Gameboy, brilliant Super Mario Land clone
I picked GB Batman up recently and it's a fantastic little game - highly recommended.
Image

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3550
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:54 am

First time buyer here, and I have to say I was really impressed by the mag. The Bomberman feature was really cool - some of my best memories come from playing the SNES game with some mates. Fun times! :D The feature on Japanese retro games was fascinating.

...One small niggle though, I couldn't help but see you get in a few digs at Halo when talking about Kagirinaki Tatakai. It did make me chuckle, and fanboy though I am I'll admit the series is overrated, but c'mon guys. It's not that bad, is it? :?:
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest