Issue 67 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:23 am

THE KONG BEAST wrote:THE KONG BEAST mostly approves of this issue, mother******....
Oh god not this idiot again. Using swearwords, how tough !

Think we should post his facebook picture , that'll get a laugh believe me.

Hopefully he'll be banned in minutes

THE KONG BEAST

Post by THE KONG BEAST » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:48 am

THE KONG BEAST spies a troublemaker.......
psj3809 wrote:Think we should post his facebook picture , that'll get a laugh believe me.
THE KONG BEAST is waiting :D

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Don't you think it's time you guys got Jon Hare his own charicature/avatar? :D

He seems to be in every issue these days... :P
Thoughts and prayers.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:07 am

To be fair, you cheeky scamp, the SEUCK feature's been waiting in the wings for a LONG time, and a bunch of people asked directly for it. It would be absurd to ignore great games by a dev, just because they've appeared in the mag before. Also, the nature of Retro Gamer is that people seemingly read it in fairly random fashion and so think people and games appear more than they do in featured form (rather than in passing mention). I know when I did the Robotron making-of a whole bunch of people moaned about it appearing 50 billion times before, but a proper look at the mag shows that it had a DPS one time, a page in a shoot 'em up feature, and not much else major, despite it being one of the most important games ever made.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:32 am

Quite apart from anything else, like it or not, Jops was a major player in games development (and probably still is for all I know). It's always interesting to hear his comments as it is the comments of other developers from the era.

Mind you, I suspect it was a cheeky joke and nothing more:) Perhaps doing avatars for all the major developers of the era isn't such a bad idea although I suspect the artist responsible wouldn't thank you for it:)
I think therefore I'm right!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:33 am

Sherringford Hovis wrote:Quite apart from anything else, like it or not, Jops was a major player in games development (and probably still is for all I know). It's always interesting to hear his comments as it is the comments of other developers from the era.
In my experience, there are also a few people who really love to chat, and so it's inevitable that they'll perhaps be featured more often. Jops (who is still actively in games development) is happy to talk any time and at length, as is Eugene Jarvis. Others (and, no, I'm not going to mention any names) are much more guarded, or will maybe give you a half-hour, but that'll be it for good, or at least a good while.
Mind you, I suspect it was a cheeky joke and nothing more:) Perhaps doing avatars for all the major developers of the era isn't such a bad idea although I suspect the artist responsible wouldn't thank you for it:)
Yeah, I recognised it was a cheeky joke, but this is an opinion that comes up a lot here, so I just wanted to give some reasoning nonetheless, in case someone repeated the accusation in a more serious manner.

As for wee doodles for major devs, that'd be fun, but don't hold your breath—with three exceptions I can think of, the avatars are the people who were writing for the mag in the very early 20s. People like Mike, Stu and Kim have yet to be 'Markied'.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 am

I was due to be 'Markied' a while back but having seen what poor old Paul Davies looks like, I'm not sure I'm all that keen anymore ;)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:06 am

I liked my pic, but when it's reduced down I look like a right miserable sod. I guess I should have sent a thumbs-up Zzap!-like pose instead!

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:42 am

Although they obviously have a nostalgic appeal, in my experience most of those avatar things don't look anything like the real people. Most of them make the person look either very old or rather ill! That may be intentional of course... :lol:
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:01 am

Duddyroar wrote:I was due to be 'Markied' a while back but having seen what poor old Paul Davies looks like, I'm not sure I'm all that keen anymore ;)
i've recently been 'Markied' and after a couple of days the bruising goes down...

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:54 pm

TMR wrote:
Duddyroar wrote:I was due to be 'Markied' a while back but having seen what poor old Paul Davies looks like, I'm not sure I'm all that keen anymore ;)
i've recently been 'Markied' and after a couple of days the bruising goes down...
I don't even know what you guys are talking about (maybe it's better that way :o).
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:04 pm

hydr0x wrote: Retroinspection
Very interesting read, unfortunately though, it was rather superficial and left me wanting for a lot more. I don't get why you didn't do a "perfect 10" or even one of those two-page screenshot collages though, there certainly must be enough interesting games.
I have hundreds of games and screens for them, and in the end I offered Daz an extra 2 pages, but the mag was already jam-packed (I also only asked for 4 to begin with when he was planning things :oops: ).

Off the top of my head though, on top of the top 5, I highly recommend Aquales on the 68000, Popful Mail on the PC98/88, WiBARM on PC88, The Scheme on PC88, Edge (Final Fight clone?) on PC98, and the English DOS port of Sorcerian.

There's loads more which don't require language skills, so take a dip in the pool, the water's lovely.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:11 pm

thanks, I'll try to take a look at them :)

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:39 pm

@ craig: Jon Hare is one of the few inerviewees in RG that you really do get the impression that he'd be a good laugh in the boozer. He comes accross as very likeable. I don't mind when he's in the mag.
Thoughts and prayers.

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Overall fantastic issue.

I don't usually comment in the feedback thread as I'm usually late and have to wade through 10 pages or so of comments, and everything's been said. Not this time!

Wow!

Really chuffed to see one of my games listed in the "Six SEUCK games you have to play"!

Thanks RG!
Really stoked.
Best. Issue. Ever!
:wink:

If anyone does want to play Alien Task Force II, here it is (LINK) with one that is my personal favourite, and another that Zzap agreed to publish but never did.

(hey look a legal download!)

Rock on.