Issue 67 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

vic26

Re: Issue 67 Feedback

Post by vic26 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:01 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
vic26 wrote:Did I dream it or does the Operation Wolf article say that light gun games have been around since the Thirties? is that correct?
Probably read it right, if it was referring to those Wild West shoot-out things. Lots of fun, they were :D
Ah get ya - I was imagining "Kaiser Wilhelm 3D" or something :)

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:18 pm

Just received my copy in the mail today here in the USA. Made a quick flip-thorough and it looks to be another issue with great content. I'm only about halfway through issue #19 right now, so I'm going to finish that one off before I start with #67. :D
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:40 pm

Got mine today and after a quick flick through, there looks to be plenty of great content. Seems to be much more appealing than the last few issues on the basis of what I saw.

Oh and that Cammy statue in the retro booty section looks amazing - shame about the hideous price-tag though...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

zarkov

Post by zarkov » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:08 am

Hi,

In Issue 67 there is a Left 4 Dead remake for Spectrum; how do I download this and is there a video of it in action?

Thanks.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:03 am

zarkov wrote:Hi,

In Issue 67 there is a Left 4 Dead remake for Spectrum; how do I download this and is there a video of it in action?

Thanks.
It's just a "how could it look" mock-up screen, not a real game.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:24 am

zarkov wrote:Hi,

Thanks.
Its been released at £7.95 by Ocean as part of the Speccy Classics collection.

Also theres an advert for X-Ray glasses which you can send off for in the magazine which seem superb for £3.99.

Also that email from King Um Bongo about the 28 million dollars and how if you give him your bank account details he'll give you 4 million, thats true !

;)

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:34 pm

mikeb wrote: Cheers Steve, glad you liked the Apidya piece - I was dead chuffed that all three ex-Kaiko members agreed to be interviewed (that kind of thing doesn't happen often!) and it's one of my favourite features I've done for RG, so kudos to Darran for kindly letting me get it in the mag. I was considerably pushing the word count as it was, so unfortunately coudn't go into covering the hidden levels or 'Miss Honeybee' spin-off that never was. Frank sent me some work-in-progress sprite/background artwork which also unfortunately coudn't make it into the feature but I'll try and post at some point for you to have a look at.
That sounds great, Mike. For what it was, the feature was absolutely brilliant and I couldn't have been more surprised (after absolutely no mention of them in previous articles about the Amiga and what not, I never, ever thought I'd see Kaiko get the coverage they deserve). It's just that I'm a total Kaiko fanboy and would happily read an entire magazine just about Chris Hulsbeck's music quite frankly! :lol:

I rediscovered Apidya again a few months ago thanks to the joy that is emulation and, though quite simple in execution in comparason, it stands beautifully next to my favourite Konami shrumps. Funny to think that had they gone down the route of making a straight forward spaceship type affair they may have cashed in more at the time but we probably wouldn't be talking about it today. And to show that little bit more extra love, I've used a brief sample from Meadows Edge stage 1 as my ringtone! (Best. Opening. Theme. Ever!)

Have to say too that if there were Amiga titles on the likes of XBox live, Apidya and the Turrican trilogy would be ideal fits.

The rest of the magazine is also extremely pleasing. The Japanese computer feature is just fascinating and it leaves you wanting more (couldn't this be a regular feature?!).

I liked the Bomberman history but I would have appreciated recognition of Dynabaster on the Amiga (now this post makes me sound like an Amiga fanboy... dang!). I bet this is how a lot of people first discovered Bomberman here in the UK. Still, the feature was based on its roots so this is understandable.

Like many, I wasn't keen on the new discussion feature last month but this time it actually makes me want to play the title in question (I can't ever recall playing Jack the Nipper but my mates loved it).

Anyway, I couldn't possibly really grumble about anything. After thinking it's already past its prime, RG continues to amaze. I think I'll go out on a limb and say this is my favourite issue to date.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:46 pm

So, finally I was able to read a whole mag fast enough to actually provide detailed feedback ;)

Main content in order of appearance:

Reader's Revival:
Thankfully, for once an oddball. I'd love to see more obscure games featured. A German retro mag has a section where it shortly reviews "random" retro games. Like four columns on a page, 4-5 pages in total, similar to your review section. I think this is a great way to make people aware of a lot of interesting games that don't warrant a real feature or can't get one due to lack of industry contacts etc.

Complete History of Bomberman:
Very interesting feature, although I'd have loved to read more about some recent entries in the series. But then again, the space is limited and the old ones are certainly more interesting. A rather obvious error though: Super Bomberman 4 certainly wasn't released outside of Japan, unfortunately :(

Boss/Rush
Still not a major fan of this feature but for obvious reasons I liked this one ;)

Retroinspection
Very interesting read, unfortunately though, it was rather superficial and left me wanting for a lot more. I don't get why you did a "perfect 10" or even one of those two-page screenshot collages though, there certainly must be enough interesting games. I'd love to read more on some of the mentioned systems though. Speaking of Retro Inspection, what systems are there you guys haven't covered? I always liked this section but I'm afraid it's going to run out of new topics soon.

From the Archives: Hudson
Might be the best feature of this issue, absolutely loved it.

Why You Must Play
Very interesting, but I didn't really get the part about the game's secrets and how they enhance the game. I'm also surprised to see the Atari ST port as worst version. The screenshot looks far better than the atrocious CPC outing and the reader feedback and the text indicates it is indeed the better of both.

Making Of SEUCK
Wasn't very interested in this one to tell the truth and I'm still a little tired by the same names popping up again and again. I get the reasons though. It was an interesting read though. Didn't like the fact that not all shots had captions :(

Cheap as Chips
Nice read about a real gem, not much else to say

Lets All Play
Okay, I'll try to put it friendly: I almost stopped reading it. I hadn't read the topics online, so that's not the problem. My main gripe is that I had no friggin idea what everyone was talking about. The first page only has tiny screenshots, and no description of the game whatsoever so I had not the faintest idea what the game was about or how it played which didn't particularly helped reading the feedback. And then, the comments just aren't good enough to make up a feature, even with the editorial content thrown it. To make things short: Probably the first time ever I was close to not reading a feature in RG.

Making of Lands of Lore
Now, for me, this is kind of a mixed bag. I love the fact Lands of Lore got a feature. But, in general, I'm really not a fan at all of series being covered in one Making Of. It always means that the feature has to be low on details, especially on the sequels. In this case, this especially hurts as all three games are quite different. I'd have preferred a LoL 1 Making Of with a small sequels box-out. Now we'll never see a proper feature on LoL2 too :( Other than that it was a good read. One last gripe though. The screenshots. Man, they really leave a lot of room for improvement.

Coin-Op Capers
In general I loved this but I thought that "expert" got way too much coverage and space. And what's up with the ridiculous photo? Overall I'd have wanted a slightly longer actual main text (it's only 2/3 of a page now).

Making Of Apidya
Loved ever bit of it, it's great to see a German game pop up in the mag and the feature was well written, researched and designed. One of the best articles in a while.

Desert Island Disks
Much preferred this so some of the more obvious names we had in there. Interesting to get a new perspective. I think you're underestimating Dr. Muto though, I haven't thoroughly played it but it looked fun.

Retro Rated
I like that the iPhone reviews have been merged in, finally, thank you. But then you go and mess it up with a Sims 3 iPhone review... :?: How the heck does that meet any of the reasons you often state for having games reviewed? It's not a sequel/remake of a retro game. It's not retro themed. And it's certainly not on a retro system. I just don't get such choices and you're making your life harder through them because they are destined to produce feedback like this. Especially when it gets the same space as MI:SE.

Homebrew
Never been much of a fan of this section but the only real gripe I have with it is that all the interviews read exactly the same and aren't all that interesting.

Mailbag
Huh, Mailbag feedback? Yeah. About the DOS Box question, why didn't you answer what he actually asked, which was whether you'd run a feature on getting DOS games running. Obviously you won't but why don't you just say that? You'd still have been able to give him the link and all.

Retro Radar
Is it just me or is this section getting longer and longer? I just don't find most in it very interesting to be honest. Iain Lee's columns is okay although it doesn't add all that much to the mag, but I can't say the same about Paul Davies' one I'm afraid. Hopefully he'll be able to improve it. Retro Booty is interesting but the T-Shirt special just seemed like a free ad for those stores. And so we come to Retro Evolution which was a bit of a mess this month, mixing up both series which was entirely unnecessary. In fact, the new game has nothing to do with both series and is just a new game set in the same universe. I don't really see how this qualifies for this feature. Having said that, I don't get the feature anyways. It has an aura of ad to it I'm afraid.

Wow, I'm sorry for the long write-up. Just in case I left too many negative feedback: Overall I loved the issue, one of the best ever.

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Loved the article on the Jap computers, most interesting article for a while, but I wanted more info on the games, and many more screenshots. Still, great stuff.

On a different matter, am I the only one that misses the price guides. I remember when I first started reading the mag it was one of the things that got my instant attention, and I s'pose it served to draw new readers into the whole retro shebang.

Oh, and the Reader's Revival was quite good :D
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:13 am

hydr0x wrote:Coin-Op Capers
In general I loved this but I thought that "expert" got way too much coverage and space. And what's up with the ridiculous photo? Overall I'd have wanted a slightly longer actual main text (it's only 2/3 of a page now).
If you think that's a ridiculous photo, you haven't seen nothing yet!

Both Got Chavez
Both Got Big Ego's
Both Got A Side Kick

What's the difference?
"Only One" Is in Retro Gamer Magazine! :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:48 am

hydr0x wrote:Lets All Play
Okay, I'll try to put it friendly: I almost stopped reading it. I hadn't read the topics online, so that's not the problem. My main gripe is that I had no friggin idea what everyone was talking about. The first page only has tiny screenshots, and no description of the game whatsoever so I had not the faintest idea what the game was about or how it played which didn't particularly helped reading the feedback. And then, the comments just aren't good enough to make up a feature, even with the editorial content thrown it. To make things short: Probably the first time ever I was close to not reading a feature in RG.
I know this article isnt for everyone, i personally dont mind it, brings back memories as it did the other month for that Mickey Mouse game, after reading the article i wanted to play it again so it inspired me to do that.

I mean the mags about retro games yet you dont seem to know about Jack the Nipper ?!? I'm glad the mag didnt 'dumb' it down as Jack the Nipper is a VERY famous retro game, if you didnt know much about the game then arent you even vaguely interested in trying the game out ? If i see an article about a game and i've never played that game myself i often want to load it up to see what the fuss is about. I might see a screenshot, see someone mention a retro game i havent played before so i'm often interested to see if its any good so i'll find it and give it a go. Specially MAME as theres a ton of games i've got installed which i probably havent played.

I cant believe you dont know how the game is played though, its like someone saying 'So this Elite, whats it about ?'. Its all about playing a classic retro game, i dont think they need a huge write-up on the actual game itself. Thought the comments from the gameplayers was interesting and even though i've played this game a ton back in the day i'll give it another go as its an 80's classic. Zzap Sizzler, Crash Smash, Amtix (whatever they called it), a huge hit.

At least give it a read or load up the game to see what the fuss is about. Think you'll dismiss it whatever out of spite which is a shame.

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:30 am

clarance wrote:On a different matter, am I the only one that misses the price guides. I remember when I first started reading the mag it was one of the things that got my instant attention, and I s'pose it served to draw new readers into the whole retro shebang.
No, I agree. I can understand it getting repetitive for regular readers, but it was all those pictures of lovely old computers laid out in the style of a 1980s Which mag that was the definitive deciding factor in my purchasing issue 19 when I really couldn't afford it, all those years ago. I miss it too.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

The Master wrote:
clarance wrote:On a different matter, am I the only one that misses the price guides. I remember when I first started reading the mag it was one of the things that got my instant attention, and I s'pose it served to draw new readers into the whole retro shebang.
No, I agree. I can understand it getting repetitive for regular readers, but it was all those pictures of lovely old computers laid out in the style of a 1980s Which mag that was the definitive deciding factor in my purchasing issue 19 when I really couldn't afford it, all those years ago. I miss it too.
Just cut it out of an older mag and pop it in the issue you are reading - that's essentially what the mag team did anyway :wink: :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:37 am

This "Lets All Play" thing....

I'm afraid I am one of the chaps that doesn't really get on with it. But thats fair enough, hourses for courses and all that.
However, I quite like the idea of getting a group of readers to play a game but I always kind of hoped it would be a more competitive thing. The RG guys setting challanges and each player trying to achieve it, documenting the way they did it and the frustrations they encountered along the way. Imagine the hilarity! Perhaps. I used to love it when Zzap did that back in the day with someone coming to Zzap towers to take on the reviewers. but now, with the power of teh interweb.... you get the idea.

The bits about what they thought about aspects of the game seem to just re-cover what has already been said. Perhaps a box-out from each player with an overall opinion would suffice.

Still, I tend not to read the article and thats fine, loads of people like it I'm sure. I've said it before, if you listened to me the mag would cover spectrum and amiga games solely with a section each month explaining why the spectrum is in fact better than every home console on the market today. So you would do well to ignore me.
I think therefore I'm right!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:54 am

I like this issue, especially the Bomberman article.
However, in the Bomberman article, there's no mention of a particular clone, called Dynablaster, which is essentially, identical!