From the forum question for issue 27

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:19 am

Forgot to mention the the Mortal Kombat II pit stage, when you're knocked into the Acid Pool, you drown, and then a skeleton of you pops up

"FATALITY"

This is probably the best death & most gruesome death sequence I've seen i a long time.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:51 pm

When the infantry die in command and conquer - classic scream

caffeinekid

Post by caffeinekid » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:51 pm

Really going back in time for this one... but the mushroom cloud and the shiver down my spine at the end of a game of Missile Command really used to give me the creeps. Back in the 80s everyone had nightmares about that kinda stuff and watching the last cities in the world getting blown apart - and the inevitability of it all - really hit a nerve I think.

Sending a shiver down my spine again right now just thinking about it.
10 PRINT "TCK IS COOL!";
20 GOTO 10

http://www.tcksoft.co.uk

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:36 pm

In a similar vein to the previous post,

When playing Balance of Power and triggering a nuclear war, you just get a screen of text stating something along the lines.....

Game over, there are no flashy graphics of bombs exploding etc, in this game we do not reward failure.

Pretty heavy stuff, made me stop and think for a while.

frank grimes

Post by frank grimes » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:02 am

Cannon Fodder because you can keep shooting the bad guys around the screen after they die, accompanied by comical yells of pain.

Resident Evil is also satisfying when you're equipped with the Magnum. Watch those heads pop.

The Metal Slug series would surely win this argument though. The superb animation and dark humour combine to make a truly hilarious (not to mention violent) experience.
Giving it 100%, 60% of the time.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:16 am

Another fav death sequence - DOOM (or DOOM II) on the PC

When you run out of health the screen goes a red tint (like blood dripping) and you then keel over & fall flat on your face - but the little face on the status bar (at the bottom) is the best bit - when you start you look like a pretty meaty guy - but by the time you'r dead you look like raw hamburger.

Also the way that the enemies explode into a pool of blood when they die is pretty cool - don't play Doom after you've eaten!

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:37 am

I love it when Grunty gets her comeuppance at the end of Banjo Kazooie. Granted, she didn't die but watching the Jinjonator kicking her arse is awesome.

Dimrill

Post by Dimrill » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:05 am

The false death ending of The Secret of Monkey Island, when Guybrush rebounds back off the rubber trees below. Nothing has made my heart jump more realising that I hadn't saved in the last 6 hours. Curse you Ron Gilbert, expect a phone call from Claims Direct.

READBOY

Best Videogame Death

Post by READBOY » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:42 pm

My favourite death sequence is in Conkers Bad Fur Day. In multi player using one of the infamous cheats (spunkjockey), when you slice off someone’s head with the chainsaw you are treated to a Matrix style slow motion death sequence. I still find it hilarious today.

RWhitney

Post by RWhitney » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:25 pm

Has to be Cloud administering the smackdown on Sephiroth at the very end of Final Fantasy VII. Anyone who has played this will know how much Sephiroth deserved to die in such spectacular fashion, the insufferable prat. He made me so mad that I broke the first disc. They cost 26 quid now. Sephiroth knew that when he did it. Sephiroth owes me 26 quid.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:46 pm

I've got to say Renegade on the Speccy. Grabbing their shoulders and kneeing them in the nads until they die. The sound effect was the winner. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. :shock:

Will

MattC

Post by MattC » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:13 pm

One thing which always amused me was how everyone invariably died from a 'cleaved skull' in the Lord of the Rings adventure game. Never a 'ruptured spleen' or a 'collapsed lung' always a 'cleaved skull'. You could even kill yourself if it was all getting too much!

>Kill Frodo

You attack you.

With one well placed blow you cleave your skull.

You are dead.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:44 pm

MattC wrote:One thing which always amused me was how everyone invariably died from a 'cleaved skull' in the Lord of the Rings adventure game. Never a 'ruptured spleen' or a 'collapsed lung' always a 'cleaved skull'. You could even kill yourself if it was all getting too much!

>Kill Frodo

You attack you.

With one well placed blow you cleave your skull.

You are dead.

Did you ever try to strike the door with Sting in the dungeon?
Very odd things would happen...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

MattC

Re:

Post by MattC » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:12 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: Did you ever try to strike the door with Sting in the dungeon?
Very odd things would happen...
I don't think I ever did - but I will now! Thanks.. :)

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:52 am

best videogame death? dunno, weirdest ones are those guys that play for 60 hours straight unblinking in internet cafes, can't be bothered to eat, drink, sleep or go whoopsie.