From the forum question for issue 27

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dell_Zincht

Post by Dell_Zincht » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:06 pm

Oh God there's LOADS.

Streets of Rage stands out, mainly because when you kill enemies they just fall normally and then disappear from the screen. But when YOU die, you fly backwards into the air with a loud scream, and crumple to the floor.

I used to die on purpose on FFVIII where you had to stop the missiles from hitting Balamb Garden. That little bit of FMV where the missiles destroy Garden really show you how much you screwed up.

Swan-diving into the pool, only to immediately get sucked into the underwater fan on the ship level in Tomb Raider 2 was pretty fun too.

Not a death, but the animation when you flew off your bike in Road Rash 2 was really cool. Hurtling towards the ground with your arms flailing wildly in the air, only to crashland and roll about 50 times before getting up dazed and staggering back to your bike!

I also loved the death animation in Mayhem in Monsterland too. A cheeky little nod to Mario/Sonic, but with Mayhem's eyes rolling into the back of his head!

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:17 pm

The first one that jumped to mind is the "Transmission Terminated" screen on Paradroid. It has a nice "TV full of static" effect, the 999 Command Cyborg and a good bleeping sound :D What more do you want?

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:59 pm

The most Gory Death on an 8 bit, even beating Barbarian and Forbidden Forest must be Get Dexter on the Amstrad. Jump up and down on the bed gaining height under a ceiling fan, jump high enough and you get to see the screen get splashed in blood. Now thats Gory :-)
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

Deeply Cynical

Post by Deeply Cynical » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:51 pm

The Master System version of Operation WOLF apologising to you.
"You have sustained a leathal injury. Sorry, but you are finished here."
Taito didn't send any flowers though.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:53 pm

Deeply Cynical wrote:The Master System version of Operation WOLF apologising to you.
"You have sustained a leathal injury. Sorry, but you are finished here."
Taito didn't send any flowers though.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice first post matey 8)

Deeply Cynical

Post by Deeply Cynical » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:57 pm

Thanks clive i was missing everyone on the Retrosurvival forums and ended up here!
I Just Require Your Bank Account Details and Sort Code - George Agdgdgwingo

skinny

Videosgame death

Post by skinny » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:40 pm

Not really a death, I know! But I loved it in Geoff Crammond's F1GP, if you had an accident that resulted in retirement, there were a couple of short cut scenes accompanied by a suitably minor-keyed piece of music to illustrate the end-of-race.

MattC

Post by MattC » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:20 pm

I've died in videogames so often that any death, no matter how entertaining, now fails to amuse me. I really am a truly lousy player, unworthy of the 'retrogamer' title.

I do like seeing Roland being eaten by the dragon though - or rather 'being wedged awkwardly into the dragon's mouth and use your imagination to decide what happens next as it falls outside the scope of the game'

See my avatar :wink:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:06 pm

How about the eternal death in Jet Set Willy,when you poke'd infinite lives
and fell down too far?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

C4

Post by C4 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:03 pm

It would have to be when Sonic drowns in the Mega drive Sonic series.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:45 pm

C4 wrote:It would have to be when Sonic drowns in the Mega drive Sonic series.

Dizzy always looked so doll like when he drowned, like he knew it didn;t matter because he'd live on forever in the hearts of us all.

( dizzy rules )
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Bleugh

death, can i have deaths?

Post by Bleugh » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:59 pm

worms, yeah, those little cute creatures being bought to a macabre end..........'oh no'

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:23 pm

There was nothing more entertaining than a worms death, except when the drowned, such a slow painfull way to die with all the weapons exploding around you. :cry:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:36 pm

Pikmin when your little flower guys were drowning and crying out for you to help, It was heartbreaking to realise that one had detached from the pack and you wouldn't reach him in time.
Or when they caught on fire and ran around like burning headless chickens (only with heads and without chicken bodies).

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:17 am

Dizrythmia wrote:The Prince of Persia falling into a pit. At the time the game was so realistic & fluid you just slightly felt the prince's pain as he fell onto the spikes. Also, the crunch sound that you could hear when he fell too far sent a shiver down my spine.

They really programmed some good death scenes into that game.
You forgot the the scream he made as he fell (on the Amiga) you heard thee "AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!" ........ "SPLAT!"

This was ssssooooooooo cool. I use to purposly jump off a high ledge to here this, I'd turn up the TV to max and then purposly die. My mum thought someone outside had fallen off a ladder or something - just shows how good the Amiga's sound was.