A few questions

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

A few questions

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:44 am

Probably this is for Darran,or perhaps anyone involved in computer mags

I was just curious to know

Do you have to pay people for interviews featuring in the mag,or do they do it for free?

Do you have to pay anyone for reprinting old adverts?

Did you have to get permission or pay Sega for featuring a picture of their mascot on the front cover?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Shaun.Bebbington

Post by Shaun.Bebbington » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:45 am

You don't tend to pay people for interviews as it usually works out as advertorial for the interviewee; I can't think of an example where they are being paid. Although, sometimes there are perks. For instance, meeting someone to interview them on expenses ;-) Not sure how much this happens with Retro Gamer though.

Regards,

Shaun.
"It is far easier to apologise afterwards than to obtain permission." - Felix Dennis

Devin

Re: A few questions

Post by Devin » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:03 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Do you have to pay people for interviews featuring in the mag,or do they do it for free?
For free, although i've only contributed one article to RetroGamer magazine in my previous experience (mostly web based) most people involved in the video game industry are simply enthused that your interested. This is especially the case with RetroGames and offers a real nostalgia trip for them!
paranoid marvin wrote:Do you have to pay anyone for reprinting old adverts?
I really doubt that! Although boxart comes under the same copyright it goes as free game along with adverts simply because it promotes a video game/franchise that might still be on going. For the most part companies don't seem interested in any legal pursuit although Nintendo did contest use of their video game characters on fan sites believe it or not a few years back!
paranoid marvin wrote:Did you have to get permission or pay Sega for featuring a picture of their mascot on the front cover?
I'd imagine same as the above, it's simply good exposure for the franchise.
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

CraigGrannell

Re: A few questions

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:05 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Do you have to pay people for interviews featuring in the mag,or do they do it for free?
As confirmed by others, I can't imagine Retro Gamer paying anyone for an interview. In fact, for all of the magazines I've done interviews for, the most the interviewee has ever gotten is a free copy of the magazine (and that includes the likes of Stephen Fry and Kyle Cooper).
Do you have to pay anyone for reprinting old adverts?
That's kind of an interesting one, and I'm still kind of surprised to see gamesâ„¢ doing full-page reprints. Smaller ones clearly come under "fair use", but the full-page ones, I'm not so sure. Then again, I'm sure imagine has a pack of lawyers to check such things.
Did you have to get permission or pay Sega for featuring a picture of their mascot on the front cover?
Using current IP is very different from older stuff. I suspect that Sega's approval would have been required, to confirm that the image was suitable for the "product" (i.e. Sonic). You couldn't, for example, get away with creating an illustration of Sonic that was considered derogatory to the brand and then whack that on the front cover.
Last edited by CraigGrannell on Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:24 pm

Thanks for the replies

I can understand that companies would be more than happy to see their IPs used to advertise a new game they had released,bust wasn't so sure about using it to sell someone else's product (in this case a magazine)

I assumed that some kind of permission would be required to put such an
iconic figure on the front cover (ootherwise it could end up on a mag which didn't please Sega)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:26 pm

Also I'm glad to hear that our heroes of yesteryear (in some cases still going!) are providing their opinions of the industry for the pleasure of it
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:10 pm

Everyone I've every spoken to has done it for free. As said, for the most part, it provides us with something to read and them with some promotional inches.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Devin

Re:

Post by Devin » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:13 pm

Mayhem wrote:Some promotional inches.
I'm not sure I even want to ask what sort of Interview style you use! :roll:
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:17 pm

:P

The word "column" went AWOL in that post ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:11 am

>Do you have to pay people for interviews featuring in the mag,or do they do it for free?

People usually speak to magazine journalists for free, although Brian Eno negotiated a deal with Wired where he would be paid the same as the writer was. He argued that he was giving up his time and wasn't likely to see any incremental income as a result of it, his name was helping to sell the magazine, and everyone else was being paid, so why not? That's pretty rare though.

>Do you have to pay anyone for reprinting old adverts?

They're still covered by copyright, and reproducing something in its entirety is unlikely to qualify under fair use provisions, even if it is 20 years later. I think they're probably used on the basis that nobody really cares much, and most of the copyright holders see no value in protecting this IP.

>Did you have to get permission or pay Sega for featuring a picture of their mascot on the front cover?

I was working at another magazine that had to get permission from Lego to put Lego men on the cover. If Retro Gamer didn't get permission, it might have exposed itself to copyright infringement claims from Sega as well as claims of 'passing off' (ie, using Sega's name to sell unofficial product that looks like official product).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:17 am

We actually asked Sega to re-do the original artwork, so we had full permission to use it. I wasn't keen on using any of the new CG art that's available, as that's not how many of us would have remembered him.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:18 am

Damn fine decision Mr Jones.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:45 am

Dunno if they were just kidding but didn't RF have to redo their cover cause of Sega? Or did I just read that incorrectly?
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Dunno if they were just kidding but didn't RF have to redo their cover cause of Sega? Or did I just read that incorrectly?
It's not for me to say, you'll have to ask Chris about that.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:09 pm

Yup, found a post referencing it here. http://www.retrofusion.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151

Not sure if I should be linking to another mags site so if this is removed i'll understand why.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.