Official feedback thread for issue 26

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:17 am

Has Final Fantasy IV Advance been reviewed in this issue or in a previous issue? I don't know since I don't have this issue yet.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:57 am

I've just flipped through it for now but it looks great.

However, I do find the double page spread for a single game rather annoying. Nothing wrong with the content or the length of the text, but the huge pixalated screenshot is really just poor. It doesn't do the game any justice. Can't it have lets say 4 screen shots filling the same space or even two but at a resolution that doesn't look like the pic was taken on a 50 inch monitor running at 640x480.

Otherwise I'm really thrilled with the layout of the mag.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:05 pm

Mantas wrote:I've just flipped through it for now but it looks great.

However, I do find the double page spread for a single game rather annoying. Nothing wrong with the content or the length of the text, but the huge pixalated screenshot is really just poor. It doesn't do the game any justice. Can't it have lets say 4 screen shots filling the same space or even two but at a resolution that doesn't look like the pic was taken on a 50 inch monitor running at 640x480.

Otherwise I'm really thrilled with the layout of the mag.
There have been some like this - issue 25's Zelda, and issue 26's Spiky Harold have been several screens pasted together.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Okay, feedback after 1st look through

IK article - looks good, will read it right through :-)

sonic article - never really been into Sonic so may just look over it (same goes for the definitive article)

large screen shots - FAR BETTER!!! combining several screens (as many have suggested is far better) :-)

Back to the 80's - still my favourite section. See you haven't followed the general consensus to get rid of the A-Z and just increase the section :-(

USA via Britain article - yep really good. i had thought about something like this before :-)

Still quite a few articles I'm not interested in, but then you're never going to like everything in the mag.

really looking forward to the outrun and lucasarts coverage next month
c64 > spectrum 48k

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:05 am

SirClive feedback Part 1

Cover - Superb. Love it.

RetroRadar - Good as ever, though I'm not sold on Grumpy Old Gamer yet.

America Free Retro - Getting better. At least this one felt like it had more of a reason to be in the mag.

Archer - This is always good, but probably my least favourite of his pieces so far. Didn't seem to have the anecdotes of other months and was more straightforward information giving.

Back to the Eighties - Good first 2 pages as ever, but still don't like the A-Z

Sonic Team - Really good and interesting piece. But I think the mag went too Sega based this month.

Check back later for the exciting 2nd episode of SirClive's Issue 26 Feedback 8)

Cloud Atlas

Post by Cloud Atlas » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:51 am

I've finally found all 15 Sonics after looking four times.

Having read through the whole of ish26 now, I'd say it is the best one so far. Nice work, everybody.

Seany

Post by Seany » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:35 am

The ish sure sounds good. Am particularly excited about reading the Raiden article. Would have happily written that one myself, such is my lurve for the series. If it is of a similar calibre to the recent R-Type and Gradius features then obviously it will be the absolute tits.

Cheers to all for the positive feedback on the Sonic article. Was my first ever bit of published work EVAR, and to say I had difficulty writing it would be an understatement. Still - here's to several more in the future, hopefully with les impenetrable interview subjects ;)

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:14 am

Cloud Atlas wrote:I've finally found all 15 Sonics after looking four times.
I'm still lacking one of the little sods. Some of them really are quite well hidden.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Spanner

Re:

Post by Spanner » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:46 am

Seany wrote:The ish sure sounds good. Am particularly excited about reading the Raiden article. Would have happily written that one myself, such is my lurve for the series. If it is of a similar calibre to the recent R-Type and Gradius features then obviously it will be the absolute tits.

Cheers to all for the positive feedback on the Sonic article. Was my first ever bit of published work EVAR, and to say I had difficulty writing it would be an understatement. Still - here's to several more in the future, hopefully with les impenetrable interview subjects ;)
Welcome aboard! For a debut feature, the Sonic Team profile is very impressive. Hope to see you around (I wrote the R-Type piece you mentioned, so I thought a slap on the back was in order).
You're right about it being difficult to penetrate those interviewees, but persistance usually brings results ;)
Yes, my real name is Spanner and I've already heard that joke you just thought of. On the plus side, a name like this also comes with built in chat up lines, so at least the chicks dig it...

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:08 am

I'm missing just one Sonic now. Does the one on page 5 count?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:41 am

Ash wrote:I'm missing just one Sonic now. Does the one on page 5 count?
NO :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:49 am

It's the first time I've properly looked at Bargain Hunt...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:02 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Ash wrote:I'm missing just one Sonic now. Does the one on page 5 count?
NO :lol:
Bugger. That means I'm missing two. :(

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:33 pm

I only found 4, but got my girlfriend to look and she found them all no problem!

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:38 pm

SirClive wrote:I only found 4, but got my girlfriend to look and she found them all no problem!
Ask her what colour his shoes are. I'll bet she knows without looking ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.