Official feedback thread for issue 26

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Official feedback thread for issue 26

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:17 am

Right then Issue 26 features the following goodies

Sonic Birthday Special - Eight pages devoted to every Sonic game

Company Profile - Sonic Team - With input from Yuji Naka

Retroinspection - Atari Jaguar

The Definitive - Raiden - Stu is back with another awesome feature

The making of - International Karate and IK+

The Evolution of Rolling Thunder

The Making of Pinball Dreams and Fantasies

DS Round-Up - Loads of great Retro styled DS games for you to look out for

and much much more

Cloud Atlas

Post by Cloud Atlas » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:13 am

The spine sucks. Oh my god, the spine sucks. It's STILL the same logo, it makes me want to self-harm.

Is it some kind of in-joke to mention SC's name three times in the Raiden intro, or just a bit of boasting?

I'd have also loved SC to have done a Sensible Soccer feature to coincide with the World Cup, not least in light of his musings on Sensi 2006. And there's no SS2006 review this issue either, as well as no New Super Mario Bros. one. Boo!

I can spot a few spelling errors scattered throughout the magazine.

The omission of SegaSonic from the Sonic article is a bit of a shame as it's one of the more interesting entries in the series.

Now all that's out of the way, it looks to be another top issue. It's difficult to call it the best yet because the last one was pretty fab, but it may well be on a par with it, and next month's looks to be just as ace :)

Back to reading it now.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:27 am

Any chance the contents of the other issue 26 thread thats locked could be transfered to this one????? Just after your first post would be good - then you would have some POSITIVE feedback to start things off!!!!!

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re:

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:33 am

Cloud Atlas wrote:The spine sucks. Oh my god, the spine sucks. It's STILL the same logo, it makes me want to self-harm.

Is it some kind of in-joke to mention SC's name three times in the Raiden intro, or just a bit of boasting?
Oh man! They left that in? That was a joke... :lol:

(Since my name didn't appear anywhere in the credits for the Gradius piece.)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:35 am

As I woke up early and the issue was already there on the mat (postman must be an insomniac for once, we don't normally get our mail until after midday!) then here's the read through and opinion ;)

Archer - lovely stuff on mini handhelds, me thinks this needs a proper article doing on them.

Sonic Team - hit all the right spots, might enlighten people on just how many games they've touched over the years.

Super Sonic - could have been twice as long and not got it all in. A good overview of most of the games.

Making of IK/IK+ - when I spoke to Spanner about this, sounded like it was just covering the sequel. Doing both? Brilliant. Everything a Making Of should be here. Poor Rob Hubbard though gets the curse of Scientology AGAIN in the side column :roll: :lol:

Jaguar - everything Johhn writes is good. Nuff said there.

Making of Pinball Dreams - I only played the first one but I liked the piece.

Definitive Raiden - likewise, but same quality as before from the Rev.

Across the Pond - you know, I was thinking about proposing a piece like this myself, but seems I've been beaten to it. Thankfully I don't disagree with any of the "winners" present :)

Rolling Thunder - I liked the piece although I don't like the games.

Nick Pelling - great bloke, good piece, he only lives a few miles from me :lol:

Now to go find some more Sonic sprites... I've seen 10 so far... I hope none are "hidden" in the folds of the magazine :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

funkym00se

Post by funkym00se » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:35 am

@Cloud Atlas:

Cheer up will you. Its summer, the weekend and the world cup. Add to that another terrific looking retrogamer and its hard to do anything but smile :D

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:36 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Cloud Atlas wrote:The spine sucks. Oh my god, the spine sucks. It's STILL the same logo, it makes me want to self-harm.

Oh man! They left that in? That was a joke... :lol:

(Since my name didn't appear anywhere in the credits for the Gradius piece.)
It was so funny I had to keep it in there :lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:41 am

Cloud Atlas wrote: The spine sucks. Oh my god, the spine sucks. It's STILL the same logo, it makes me want to self-harm.
It done for the old live readers. Once it's out of the way we may do something else.
Cloud Atlas wrote:
It's a joke. Well, I thought it was funny lol
Cloud Atlas wrote:
I'd have also loved SC to have done a Sensible Soccer feature to coincide with the World Cup, not least in light of his musings on Sensi 2006. And there's no SS2006 review this issue either, as well as no New Super Mario Bros. one. Boo!
Sensi was begin covered in Retro Fusion, I don't want to copy their content, so I stayed away from anything footy related in the mag. As for Mario, I got it in too late to cover. So it's in next issue
Cloud Atlas wrote:
I can spot a few spelling errors scattered throughout the magazine.
You will do, they appear in most magaqzines and books unfortunately. But did you spot the fifteen Sonics?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:49 am

How do you keep getting away with calling Bargain hunt complete?

Otherwise superbly bold cover, I assume shop avaliability is Thursday?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:11 am

Was going to ask if we won anything if we spotted all the hidden Sonics, but seeing as you've told us how many there are now, I guess I can forget that idea then :(

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:12 am

Nice surprise this morning !!! Had a quick flick through, some very good features in it. Happy as hell to read it in the sunshine today.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:12 am

Lentini2001 wrote:Was going to ask if we won anything if we spotted all the hidden Sonics, but seeing as you've told us how many there are now, I guess I can forget that idea then :(
It says in the contents about the prize.

Find the sonics, tell us where they are and who knows what you will get...

voodoofish

Post by voodoofish » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:13 am

Hi Darren (et al) - thanks for the response about the adventure games. I notice whilst looking through the mag that next month will feature a Lucasarts special - yay!

also in response to your question I personally love text adventures but am also addicted to the SCUMM games and Broken Sword is in my top 5 currently. Basically I'd love to see more features alon any of these lines...

How about a standalone Monkey Island, one for broken sword, developer highlights for Infocom... the list is endless :)

and congrats on the new issue - just ben reading some and it is excellent once again

caffeinekid

Post by caffeinekid » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:22 am

Another top issue and really nice to see a dear departed friend of mine getting a nice mention.

Will give it a proper read later but a skim through and it looks cool.
10 PRINT "TCK IS COOL!";
20 GOTO 10

http://www.tcksoft.co.uk

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:03 am

Concerning the Yuji Naka interview - the words 'blood' and 'stone' come to mind.

I sense that even the author of the article was frustrated with some of his closed comments. He wasn't giving anything away, was he? :roll:
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian