From the forum question for issue 68

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: From the forum question for issue 68

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:35 pm

garybracey wrote:For me it's between Addams Family, Wizball, F-29, Head Over Heels, Pushover (addictive and underrated game IMHO) and Arkanoid.

Oh, and Typhoon... and Target: Renegade.
I also played a lot of Batman, The Movie. And New Zealand Story.

And Highlander*.

*Only joking - just seeing if you were still paying attention!

Anyway, I did genuinely seem to spend a LOT of time playing the above (and more) - by choice, I hasten to add!
yeah we're paying attention matey, should have said transformers though lol

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:36 pm

Wow, that's a tough one. I'll have to say Jurassic Park, but there's a certain Kiwi bawling his eyes out somewhere.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:46 pm

sirclive1 wrote:Surely defender has gravity ?
Not on the player's ship, it hasn't... and since they don't accellerate towards the ground, there isn't gravity in Defender either and they're presumably using jet packs!
sirclive1 wrote:Also - have you played the original street hawk recently ? Its shockingly bad :?
If you mean the one i was referring to then yes, i played it about two weeks ago and i still think it's a great game, far better than the second Street Hawk in fact.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:02 pm

hmmm tricky.... a lot of ocean games were crap - rehash platformers...

but a few stand out but its a difficult question, as ocean published a lot of other developers stuff....

so limmiting it to Developer OCEAN / OCEANFRANCE heres my lil' recomends to play...

Pang, (Amiga 1990)
Truely a classic re-invention... if you wanna call it that ..... Pong anyone?

Operation Wolf, (Amiga 1988)
This is just astounding Amiga graphics for 1988, truly a Ocean France Master Piece!
youtube linkie... an A500 in 1988... what a site!

Ivanhoe, (Amiga 1990)
A very good little beat'em up... similar to Aladin that we saw a couple of years later, had some nice touched, but if memory serves it was over too quickly..

A huge pity it wasn't released was Universal Monsters (Amiga 1993) it sported some great graphics and looked like the much needed updat of pitfall!!!

Image Image
Last edited by Zetr0 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:51 am

Frankie Goes to Hollywood. I never particularly liked the band, but the game was too bizarre and stylish not to love.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:35 am

Gordon Bennett wrote:Frankie Goes to Hollywood. I never particularly liked the band, but the game was too bizarre and stylish not to love.

great game. I always like to think of Wizkid as the lovechild of Frankie and Wizball
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:41 am

Only first played this quite recently but I'm going with New Zealand Story. Such a cute game!

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:23 am

Actually, yeah, changed my mind. New Zealand Story. If only because I'm the master at it (I know all the warps, how to do the "infinite loop" to play forever, how to get into and back out of all 3 heavens...)

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:10 pm

TMR wrote:
sirclive1 wrote:Surely defender has gravity ?
Not on the player's ship, it hasn't... and since they don't accellerate towards the ground, there isn't gravity in Defender either and they're presumably using jet packs!
sirclive1 wrote:Also - have you played the original street hawk recently ? Its shockingly bad :?
If you mean the one i was referring to then yes, i played it about two weeks ago and i still think it's a great game, far better than the second Street Hawk in fact.
It either has gravity or it doesn't , the ship can hold its own , if there was no gravity the dudes would float - come on !! They float down - not up or stay still . :)

Also you say the original street hawk is better than the re release - that true - but its still awful. :wink:
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:14 pm

sirclive1 wrote:It either has gravity or it doesn't , the ship can hold its own , if there was no gravity the dudes would float - come on !! They float down - not up or stay still . :)
Float yes, as opposed to fall so presumably Defender doesn't have gravity and the men are making their own way down in some undocumented form.
sirclive1 wrote:Also you say the original street hawk is better than the re release - that true - but its still awful. :wink:
Nope, don't agree with that and have played it quite a lot.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Spent many happy hours waggling my joystick in my bedroom.......

playing Daley Thompson's Decathalon on the Speccy!

dirty minds, you lot have :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:59 pm

Not easy as they published some great games.

After considering Rainbow Islands, Operation Thunderbolt, New Zealand Story and F29 Retaliator I have decided to ignore them all (even though they are all great) and opt for WIZBALL, which is quite simply one the best, most originally brilliant games ever made.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Wizball was Developed by Peter Johnson and John Hare, it was published by OCEAN, so not built or designed by them,

OCEAN pulished a LOT of games even Team17 games where published by Ocean *Alien Breed 3D and AB3D II*, and Magnetic Fields Games such as "Kid Chaos" and even some Delphine titles like "Shaq Fu", this doesn't make them Ocean games..... does it?

Ocean developed very few, pity they had the talent in house and we quite open with this, but they bought licenses and then farmed out to other developers and just published them... as we know OCEAN was superceded by INFOGAMES and thats pretty much what that company does as well...

I dont know.... I felt that the questions was directed at Games OCEAN / OCEAN FRANCE developed, if not then hell.... WIZBALL all the way!!!

garybracey

Post by garybracey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:56 pm

Zetr0 wrote:Wizball was Developed by Peter Johnson and John Hare, it was published by OCEAN, so not built or designed by them,
Jon Hare and Chris Yates, actually.
Credit where it's due. :wink:

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:17 pm

TMR wrote:
sirclive1 wrote:It either has gravity or it doesn't , the ship can hold its own , if there was no gravity the dudes would float - come on !! They float down - not up or stay still . :)
Float yes, as opposed to fall so presumably Defender doesn't have gravity and the men are making their own way down in some undocumented form.
They don't float (i.e stay at the same level) , (they fall/float down ), they fall towards the planet assisted by gravity . Whats this undocumented form ? Its Gravity . Simplest explanation , rather than some imaginary one.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer