Your ideal SID/C64 music feature in Retro Gamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Your ideal SID/C64 music feature in Retro Gamer

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:35 pm

So, say there was a possibility of a SID/C64-oriented feature in an upcoming issue of Retro Gamer, who would you like to see interviewed? What questions would you like asked? And who are your favourite SID musicians and tunes?
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

paranoid marvin

Re: Your ideal SID/C64 music feature in Retro Gamer

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:55 pm

oooh , so many!

Ok , here's one: Mark Cooksey. You must be very proud of the music you created for Ghosts n Goblins , but what was the reason for not using the audio from the arcade original?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Programmers from ocean/thalamus they made some memorable tunes for the c64.if i could ask question guess it would be about memory constraints.How did they work around it.Do they think the sid chip is one of best made?.Some my fav sid tunes

Myth
Powerdrift
Led storm
Flimbos quest
Last ninja 2
Platoon
Shadow of the beast
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killermike

Post by killermike » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Perhaps the SidStation deserves a mention?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektron_SidStation
Michael Reed freelance writer - http://www.unmusic.co.uk/

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Interviews with any of these would be fantastic:

Martin Galway
Rob Hubbard
Ben Daglish
Matt Gray

Questions would include:

How did you go about making a SID tune? Did you use a keyboard to compose on, then re-make it on the SID, or write down notes, then program it straight in?

How long did an average tune take to make? What was the quickest and longest?

Did the composers all get along and meet up at shows, etc?

Did you think the tunes you did were as amazing as we (the C64 owners) thought they were when we heard them?

Did you think people would still listen to them long after you made them?

Have you or would you like to remake any of your tunes?

Do you ever listen to any of the remixes at RKO?

Do you still write or play music?

Some of my favourite SIDs:

Monty on the Run
Sanxion
Rambo
Delta
Crazy Comets
The Last V8
Thing on a Spring
Thrust
Giana Sisters
Max Headroom
The Last Ninja series
Comic Bakery
Ocean Loader v2
Enigma Force
Suicide Express
Parallax
Spy Vs Spy
Glider Rider
Arkanoid
Yie Ar Kung Fu
Green Beret
Commando
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Another for Ben Daglish. You created some of the most memorable tunes for the C64 including the Ocean loaders 1&2 , but also went on to compose music for many of Origin's games- were you at all tempted to include loading music for the PC? Also was the introduction of the CD-Rom a good thing for producing game music,as you were no longer bound by the constraints of the hardware , or did having limited resources help you to be more creative
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:58 pm

The thing that's so great about C64 SID tunes is that they cannot be 'bettered'. Sure , other machines may have had more 'channels' and more cpu power or whatever it is that's required to make music on computers/consoles , but none could match the C64 at it's best. For me , the SID epitomises everything that is good about RETRO - it brings the memories flooding back , it's totally unique - but most of all it sounds just as good today as it did 20 years ago.

Another question I have for any of the 80's C64 musicians really , is are they suprised as to just how far the capabilities of the SID have been exploited - take the Fanta in Space demo for example
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:10 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: Ok , here's one: Mark Cooksey. You must be very proud of the music you created for Ghosts n Goblins , but what was the reason for not using the audio from the arcade original?
I always wondered that but enjoyed the C64 theme regardless.

I know Hubbard is extremely doubtful and most of us have heard the story about him recreating and remixing the Commando music over one night but it should still be reported.

Who did the Cybernoid II tune? Love that.

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:52 pm

Jeroen Tel. Awesome track.

Rob Hubbard did do an expansion pack for reFX's quadraSID not too long ago, so he's not out of the scene altogether... there may be faint hope?

As for me, I'd just be interested in anything and everything regarding the SID, it's my number one interest of late...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:17 pm

As with the Master, an in depth look into the world of SidChip and its programmers would be like a wet dream x Pi :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:22 pm

Getting an interview with Matt Gray would be a coup, I've heard he's about as talkative of his past music as Martin Walker is... which is a pity, as once you get past the big three (Hubbard, Galway, Daglish) he's my favourite SID composer; Last Ninja 2, Driller, Dominator, Hunter's Moon loader... all brilliant stuff :D

Finding out if Jeroen will ever set a date for a release of his long-awaited album would be nice heh...

But a look at some of the memorable composers outside of the main three would be nice, a chance to focus on them instead of the obvious; besides Jeroen, there could be Tim Follin (if you can convince him), Matthew Cannon, Fred Grey, Hagar, Jonathan Dunn, Steve Rowlands, Chris Hulsbeck and Reyn Ouwehand. Reyn's remixes are something to behold, he's one of the few people to embrace modern and retro and combine the two into something magical. Just check out his "from the Church" output on RKO. Mind you, I still feel his Comic Bakery remix is the best thing he's done ;)
paranoid marvin wrote:Another for Ben Daglish. You created some of the most memorable tunes for the C64 including the Ocean loaders 1&2 , but also went on to compose music for many of Origin's games- were you at all tempted to include loading music for the PC? Also was the introduction of the CD-Rom a good thing for producing game music,as you were no longer bound by the constraints of the hardware , or did having limited resources help you to be more creative
Don't you mean Martin Galway here? :twisted:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:51 am

Give us an interview with at least some of the people who compile these things and keep things coherent, like Jan Lund Thomson at Remix.Kwed.Org.

Reyn is a must have interview for me too.

Also interesting to note the current resurgence of chip music in popular music - lots of current chart tracks are featuring little blips, bloops and loops either inspired by or ripped from gaming. La Roux's big hits could practically all be chiptune.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:12 am

Another vote for Matt Gray - Nothing much has really been seen/heard about him since his C64 days. I suspect he'd have a fair old few stories to tell. Some years back I think he had something to do with the music that Cher did? (Around 1998 ish)
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:33 am

Wasn't it Fred Gray that did Believe? I'm not sure, but I thought it was.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:59 am

No, it was Matt Gray who did "Believe"...

I did a mini-interview with Ben Daglish in an early issue of RG, part of the Back in Time Live 2004 article. Then there was the time he accused me of stalking him...

As for new interviews, I'd like to see a full interview with David Whittaker covering his whole career, from Lazy Jones to Lego Star Wars.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube