Issue 66 Feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

forestville

Re: Issue 66 Feedback thread

Post by forestville » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:54 pm

another great mag, load 66 is a great read.
8) :D
Press play on tape

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:05 am

thevulture wrote:Ref: Infiltrator request, i too would love to see a look at the series. Cannot recall it being a trilogy tho. Just infiltrator and infiltrator:The next day. Was there a 3rd game? :? -If so, even more reason i`d love to see a feature.
I've the two games, and on a blank disk (standard floppy with copied games on) there's an 'Infiltrator III'. It starts on the ground - so no chopper part - and is hard like hell. Don't know if it's official, but it's fun!
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:24 am

Saving it for my 2 week hols to Portugal on Thurs!!!

But it looks, at first glance, to be a million times better than the last issue.

Shame Road Runner didn't have a home conversion box out but im sure this will now happen in future editions.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:42 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:the god awful LAP feature is not there (hopefully it will only rear it's ugly head now and again before being completely put to death in the not too distant future
Do you not like Let's All Play? I'd never have guessed.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:05 am

I don't mean to criticise, because Darran will sit on me... ;) - but:

What with the current vogue for "pulling in the punters to the max" covers (and rightly so!), surely Arkanoid would have been a far more seminal and striking image for it?

Or is just me? I was never impressed with Spy Hunter, thought it was dire rubbish to be honest... then again, I did mainly play the Beeb version....
Last edited by The Master on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:13 am

Great issue loved Spy Hunter in my local arcade especially the thumping baseline to Peter Gunn, and I loved the C64 conversion. Nice Wally and Arkanoid features. All in all the best issue in the last few months!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:14 am

Got my issue 66 today - think it's really a strong issue - less gimmicks than the last few editions and more solid articles. :D

Love the Spy Hunter cover - though I always lasted about 20 seconds on the game - which were rock hard as I remember...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:22 am

Anyone notice the typo in the Julian Rignall piece?

Surely, he said his fav gaming system was the C64!!!!

Seriously though, was very disappointed to read that his fav was the i-phone / i-pod touch (whatever it was).

His reason was that it plays games, does music, video, internet, GPS etc - surely that is flawed and only one of those is relevant to what makes a gaming system great?

The PSP does most of that but I love the PSP cos it plays games!

Its starting to p*ss me off a bit now - I might have to buy one if this carry's on!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:25 am

SirClive wrote:The issue looks really good, but I hope you are ready for the backlash Darran...

Tiger Woods 09 reviewed in a retro gaming mag???? And just to wind up even more people it is the iPhone version!!!!!
To be honest I was more cheesed off at the full page Virtua Tennis review - a franchise I have always hated & never considered retro! Like most I don't like the iphone reviews section but so long as it stays at two pages I can easily skip it, like I would skip 2 pages of adverts without complaint.

Skimming through the issue last night it is a FANTASTIC read compared to the last 2 issues! Maybe I'm just part of that confused and disorientated 8-bit generation that doesn't understand the world around it. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:42 am

Just to say, thanks for all the kind comments regarding the Spy Hunter piece - glad people are enjoying it :)

Was very impressed with the Road Runner making of - great interviews... Ed Logg and Mike Hally... yay!
Looking forward to reading the Arkanoid, Wally Week and Stunt Race FX stuff.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:01 am

The Master wrote:What with the current vogue for "pulling in the punters to the max" covers (and rightly so!), surely Arkanoid would have been a far more seminal and striking image for it?
Interesting thought—I wonder which game has more pull for the primarily UK audience. Mind you, I liked the Spy Hunter cover... (Also, has Arkanoid been on the cover before? If so, that'd explain any possible absence, since Imagine—or at least Retro Gamer—appears to have a policy of never putting an item on the cover twice, which is a bit mental.)
Bub&Bob wrote:Anyone notice the typo in the Julian Rignall piece? Surely, he said his fav gaming system was the C64!!!!
Of all the people I've emailed who worked on classic-era Zzap!, I don't think any consider the C64 their favourite system. Almost all of them were/are decidedly into modern systems, and the C64 was modern back then. Rignall (who I've not spoken to) moved on once the C64 was on its way out, remember, getting really into consoles each time something new and exciting appeared. At least he wasn't as dismissive of old systems as Steve Jarratt, who pretty much told me he couldn't understand why anyone would want to play crappy old games.
Seriously though, was very disappointed to read that his fav was the i-phone / i-pod touch (whatever it was). His reason was that it plays games, does music, video, internet, GPS etc - surely that is flawed and only one of those is relevant to what makes a gaming system great? The PSP does most of that but I love the PSP cos it plays games!
The likelihood is that the interview was cut down for the tiny amount of room available. Given that Rignall's still into gaming, I can't imagine he wouldn't cite iPhone/iPod touch as a favoured system if it wasn't for the games. I know from my own standpoint, my iPhone has now mothballed my DS, DC, Xbox and GBA. I simply can't be bothered with those systems when there are so many great and affordable games for Apple's system. It still beggars belief that Apple has a system with decent games (I remember the Pippin, and the Mac itself, while always having the odd classic indie title, has been pretty terrible for games since at least the 1990s), but then it's all about the indie devs and cheap prices. It amazes me so many people here are so anti the system, given that it's basically the closest thing we have to the good ol' days of 8-bit gaming, with 'pocket money' games and single programmers able to get their vision out without serious publisher compromise.
mikeb wrote:Was very impressed with the Road Runner making of - great interviews... Ed Logg and Mike Hally... yay!
Three interviews to transcribe while doing that... my poor fingers!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:12 am

Craig's just made me want to buy an iPhone. Curses.

drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:42 am

As usual, a great issue! What I would like to know is how many of you have a Sinclair QL?

And doesn't the Classic Video Game Tournament look fab! I'm gonna have to make a pilgrimage to New Hampsire one day! :mrgreen:

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:54 am

drummerboy wrote:What I would like to know is how many of you have a Sinclair QL?
I bidded on one a week or two ago, but it got into !silly money and the angel on my left shoulder persevered...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:17 am

CraigGrannell wrote:my iPhone has now mothballed my DS, DC, Xbox and GBA. I simply can't be bothered with those systems when there are so many great and affordable games for Apple's system.
Ditto.