Official Feedback for Issue 65

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kelp7

Re: Official Feedback for Issue 65

Post by kelp7 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:30 am

Don't know nor care about this Metroid thingy but the whole issue's worth it just for the Archimedes article. Good stuff. Making of Wolfenstein 3D was good reading too. Enjoying contributions from Iain Lee. Liking a lot of the new features that have appeared in the last two issues. Retro booty's great, keep it up.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:45 pm

I think it's fantastic that in the Yoshio Sakamoto interview, he mentioned how the Alien franchise had an influence on the Metroid franchise. I've always suspected it, but I think this was the first time that someone directly involved with the games acknowledged the link.

sdaonline

Post by sdaonline » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:25 pm

The Acorn article mentions that RISC OS was on 24. It wasn't and was actually an april fools joke on a fansite!

http://www.iconbar.com/articles/RISC_OS ... ex695.html

You got me excited there for a minute...

Dan Hero

Post by Dan Hero » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 am

at last a little Archimedes love...it was never officilally sold here in italy but the first issue of the italian version of the games machine (that's still running since 1988 btw) had an article that really thrilled me talking about its 32 bit architecture with nice screenshots of Virus.

so I've got a little fetish for the acorn powerhouse.

killermike

Post by killermike » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:55 am

@sdaonline

Oops! Looks like I made a mistake there. I remember reading the story when I first came out and it tied in with some of the other mythology surrounding the late, great Paul Vigay. Looks like I need to pay better attention to the date in future. Hope you enjoyed the article apart from that.
Michael Reed freelance writer - http://www.unmusic.co.uk/

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:26 am

hydr0x wrote:So, I finally finished the mag, my last feature was the Elite one. I've got one question and one little gripe with it.

Question:

Why was the article so light on the 90s and especially the last 15 years. I mean, if you're going to stress the 25 years all the time then shouldn't one be so honest as to mention that they basically did nothing (worthwile) for a long time? I'd also have been interested in hearing the possible reasons for this lack of developments.

Gripe:

The Nintendo bit. It seemed to me like utter nonsense and as if someone at Elite had bitter feelings towards Nintendo for some reason. You mentioned the successful Striker, here's a full list of Elite games for the SNES in Europe:

1992: Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja, Dragon's Lair
1993: Eric Cantona Football Challenge, Striker
1994: Adventures of Dr. Franken, Might and Magic II, World Cup Striker
1995: May: Dirt Racer, November: Joe & Mac 3

As you can see, a very constant output, one hit game for 1992 (Joe & Mac), 1993 (Striker) and 1994 (World Cup Striker). 1995s games didn't sell too good I think but this is due to the SNES not being the latest system anymore. Now, how could this move to the SNES (or to Nintendo in general starting with the NES) possibly have been a bad move? They were successful in the 3 best years of the system (92-94), delivering at least three hits. When the new systems arrived they moved on onto them and delivered two final SNES games, one being a stupid business decision (developing a FX game, Dirt Racer). So, quite, obviously, their time with Nintendo was very successful and certainly wouldn't have been more successful on a different system.

So, I don't get the part about Nintendo being the wrong choice at all. If we're being totally honest here, they didn't know how to do 3D games, their SNES 3D game (Dirt Racer) sucked and they didn't improve on the 3D systems.

Giving this a push ;) I'd still be very interested to get the writers POV on this :)

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:17 pm

Dunjohn wrote:
Tabe wrote:1) Even if shiny, I think the Metroid cover looks mediocre at best. Looks like something that was completed in about 5 minutes by somebody rushing to meet a deadline. Not even close to the quality we've come to expect from RG.
Trust me, seeing it in the shiny flesh makes a huge difference. I really love this cover.
I've got my copy now and my original opinion still stands. The cover is strictly mediocre, shiny or not, IMHO.

Tabe

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:27 pm

hydr0x wrote:
Gren wrote:the CPC was a niche "also-ran" machine in a speccy/C64 dominated 8-bit 80s world!!
Nonsense. Your country is not the world and the Speccy is virtually unknown in some other regions.
I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a little less Speccy/CPC coverage and more Apple II coverage.

Tabe

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Describing Metroid as Nintendo's most "un-Nintendo" series? ooooh!!! Cheeky and brilliant!! :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 am

Tabe wrote:I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a little less Speccy/CPC coverage and more Apple II coverage.

Tabe
I'm 100% the opposite. The mags aimed at the European market hence Amstrad/Spectrum, have no interest in the Apple II. Just as an american retro gamer magazine (or website) wouldnt feature the Speccy or Amstrad. When the vast majority of readers are from Europe i hope we stick with european machines as the 'main' ones featured. Items about US computers/consoles are great but not the main focus

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:23 am

psj3809 wrote:
Tabe wrote:I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a little less Speccy/CPC coverage and more Apple II coverage.

Tabe
I'm 100% the opposite. The mags aimed at the European market hence Amstrad/Spectrum, have no interest in the Apple II. Just as an american retro gamer magazine (or website) wouldnt feature the Speccy or Amstrad. When the vast majority of readers are from Europe i hope we stick with european machines as the 'main' ones featured. Items about US computers/consoles are great but not the main focus
A game is a game is a game...

BJWanlund

Post by BJWanlund » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:06 am

I got this at the local bookshop here in the States that carries RG. Great mag.

More feedback later.

BJ