Official Feedback for Issue 65

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Official Feedback for Issue 65

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Yeah, I noticed that too. It was the DS that came out over here in 2005 (2004 in Japan). Probably just a typo that was meant to be 2001 rather than 2005.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Cheers chaps. I was all confused there. Thought it was my old age.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:07 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Weblaus wrote:
2. There's a rather big error in the Wolfenstein piece, or more specifially with the conversion capers bit: You point out that the GBA port was released in Germany, and that supposedly even in an unedited form. This is plain and simply totally wrong. There are laws here that specifically forbid the sale of toys (which covers video games) with any Nazi symbolism in them at all - it's highly illegal. No way would any publisher have risked getting into trouble over that, especially with Wolfenstein 3D being one of only a handful of games that are completely outlawed (as opposed to the dozens that are hit with the standard ban that "only" forbids sales to minors and advertising etc.).
That's the last time we trust Romero ;)
Really? Daikatana for me :wink:

Now that Retro Shamer seems to have fallen by the wayside, is there any chance of a look at that? It's probably the biggest dud since Rise of the Robots which, incidently, had a nice little article devoted to it a couple of years back....
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:18 pm

so true, that has to be done for the shamer!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Yeah, that'd make a great Retro Shamer, I still have the PC Zone Daikatana special - the whole magazine's basically a massive censored-off of Daikatana :lol:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:38 pm

i hope they choose the c64 port of hard drivin too!

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:50 pm

I don't think Daikatana fits that category. Yes, it was a big disappointment but it still wasn't among the worst FPS, let alone worst games in general. If you want a bad FPS try out Virtuoso...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:53 am

Did chuckle at the David Crane interview.

Christ, im not surprised he hit 4 aces against that bloke - I wouldn't be able to concentrate either if the guy serving to me had a haircut like that.

I wonder if his family are always a bowl short at breakfast :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:10 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's a simple mix up. No one is deliberatly mocking you. I just saw Simon as Salmon that's all. Don't ask me why though...
So there's nothing fishy going on then? :lol:
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Since I'm in the U.S. it'll be a month or two before I can actually READ this issue but I'll comment anyway:

1) Even if shiny, I think the Metroid cover looks mediocre at best. Looks like something that was completed in about 5 minutes by somebody rushing to meet a deadline. Not even close to the quality we've come to expect from RG.

2) Metroid and Super Metroid are two of my favorite games ever, can't wait to read the articles on them.

3) Castle of Illusion is another of my favorite games. Can't wait to read that feature either.

4) It sounds like a lot more content is coming from the forums. Add me to the voices expressing concern that this is a way of pushing off the generation of content from the professionals to the readers. I liked the "Favorite Gaming Moments" thing from RG 50 - and not just because mine was included - but I hope that such things don't get carried too far.

This all reminds me that I'm waaaaay behind on reading my Retro Gamers. I must have 10 or 12 issues unread at this point...

Tabe

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Tabe wrote:1) Even if shiny, I think the Metroid cover looks mediocre at best. Looks like something that was completed in about 5 minutes by somebody rushing to meet a deadline. Not even close to the quality we've come to expect from RG.
Trust me, seeing it in the shiny flesh makes a huge difference. I really love this cover.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

konnichiwa

Post by konnichiwa » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Dunjohn wrote:
Tabe wrote:1) Even if shiny, I think the Metroid cover looks mediocre at best. Looks like something that was completed in about 5 minutes by somebody rushing to meet a deadline. Not even close to the quality we've come to expect from RG.
Trust me, seeing it in the shiny flesh makes a huge difference. I really love this cover.
I have to agree.

I got my issue aswell. I didn't finished it yet but so far I am enjoying it ^^'.

Btw is there always a new RG every month cause their are magazines that take a month off (just wondering).

killermike

Post by killermike » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:50 pm

1) Even if shiny, I think the Metroid cover looks mediocre at best. Looks like something that was completed in about 5 minutes by somebody rushing to meet a deadline. Not even close to the quality we've come to expect from RG.
Looks good to me. There's a guy holding it up in this video at around 0:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHJ_Xb_FZQ
Michael Reed freelance writer - http://www.unmusic.co.uk/

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:29 am

Dunjohn wrote:
Watched the video and, while it does look better now that I've seen it shiny, I still think it's overall pretty mediocre and a weak design.

Tabe

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:10 pm

konnichiwa wrote:Btw is there always a new RG every month cause their are magazines that take a month off (just wondering).
It's released every four weeks, so that's thirteen a year with no breaks (and few breakdowns).
It's called a MEGADRIVE