Official Feedback for Issue 65

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Official Feedback for Issue 65

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:07 am

Just got this through the post this morning...

Super Metroid on the front cover, not keen on it but a good old skool cover

Small interview with David Crane (He so has to get rid of that bowl cut)

Complete history of Metroid

Retroinspection at the Acorn Archimedes, not a fan of this machine but i'll see if i get converted !

Making of Toobin' (Great game)

A look at Elite Systems - Looks a brilliant article, one of the best software houses from the 80's

Making of Super Metroid

Lets all play: Castle of Illusion - New type of feature, interesting seeing peoples views on it, photos of a fair few retro gamers, nice pic Rinoa !

Why you must play: LED Storm - another great game

Making of Wolfenstein - Looking forward to reading this

Nice to see ZX Shed feature in the Homebrew Heroes

Next month - Bomberman

Miniman

Re: Unofficial Feedback for Issue 65

Post by Miniman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:11 am

Damn, I was 3 minutes short of the first to post. Congrats! So, here's a cut'n'paste:

"Just to say that I adore the cover. Don't you think it looks like box art for a VCS version of the game? :D"
Last edited by Miniman on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
All I wanted was to make the world a better place...and make an a**load of money.

XFile2708

Post by XFile2708 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:13 am

Mine doesn't come into my local newsagent for another week - any chance of posting a pic of the Castle of Illusion article please matey? :D

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:56 am

Another issue that I've really enjoyed in the couple of hours or so spent reading it this morning, hot on the heels of the excellent issue 64. 'S funny, really - I get the idea that with RG, sometimes it's 'your turn', as it were, to get an issue about all the games/franchises that you really like, and for me this issue was one of those.

It helps, of course, if you like the Metroid series, which I do. I really enjoyed the two in-depth articles on this series of games. But it's also great to learn about games you don't know but would like to hunt down - and one real gem as far as that's concerned is that 3D shooter, Star Fighter 3000 on the Archimedes. I really liked Guardian on the A1200, and this looks like a similar sort of game. Enjoyed the whole Acorn Archimedes article in fact, and I know that a number of forumites were interested in this machine. I know the mag's primarily about games, but I like the fact that in Retroinspection articles there's some licence to talk about the hardware and the operating system.

Another game I must try to get into is Retrograde - I've often overlooked it in favour of the very games Darran mentions in his article, so I must dust down the 64 and load it up.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:58 am

Not a Metroid fan but i'll read it and no doubt be persuaded to try out the games on an emulator. Love the Elite article and as i mentioned before Toobin', great 2 player game that was.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:11 am

Only had a quick look through so far but it's a really poor issue for me.

I'm not a fan of most of the games featured, the cover looks like a 5 year olds comic and the Lets All Play feature I have already read on the forum.

Probably the worst issue for at least 18 months....

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:15 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Only had a quick look through so far but it's a really poor issue for me.

I'm not a fan of most of the games featured, the cover looks like a 5 year olds comic and the Lets All Play feature I have already read on the forum.

No it isn't.
In terms of content there's some fantastic stuff in there. We can't help it if you don't like the games covered.
Still it's been a while since we've had a "this issue is rubbish because it doesn't feature all the stuff I PERSONALLY WANT IT TO so I guess I can forgive you :wink:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:23 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Only had a quick look through so far but it's a really poor issue for me.

Give it a chance fella ! Theres a few articles on first inspection i'm not keen on but often i'm surprised if i give one of them a chance and it then often makes me want to give those games a chance. I mean Wolfenstein, you dont honestly like that article ? True retro-goodness ! Article on Elite ? One of the best software houses from the 80's ?!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:36 am

psj3809 wrote:

Give it a chance fella ! Theres a few articles on first inspection i'm not keen on but often i'm surprised if i give one of them a chance and it then often makes me want to give those games a chance. I mean Wolfenstein, you dont honestly like that article ? True retro-goodness ! Article on Elite ? One of the best software houses from the 80's ?!
Never said I won't give it a chance, I will read it cover to cover like I always do. I just think that for me, it is a poor issue, we all don't like the same stuff and now and again we will all come across an issue that we are not keen on.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:40 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

No it isn't.
In terms of content there's some fantastic stuff in there. We can't help it if you don't like the games covered.
Still it's been a while since we've had a "this issue is rubbish because it doesn't feature all the stuff I PERSONALLY WANT IT TO so I guess I can forgive you :wink:
Yes it is, for me. Other people will love it and thats fair enough, but if I didn't subscribe I wouldn't have bought it.

Groo_the_Wanderer

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:44 am

Red and shiny. Red and shiny things are good.
Oh dear, there's little pamphlets living in it.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:50 am

Only had a quick flick through...Initally thought it`d be an ok-good issue but NOT me, as i never took to the Metroid games on any format. but:

Woah-Very, very impressed. :D

WHY? Easy-For starters-Its covered a machine, until now i knew VERY little about-The acorn Archimedes.This is what i want-Fantastic features on Retro. machines that back in the day were always a mystery.So Big thumbs up there. :D

Same for the elite systems Article Very well written.

Stand out Feature-Lets all play. Brilliant!-Plus? i get to put faces too many of the good people on here.Result.

Seriousily-this is a fantastic new feature.Loven it.

Damn....I`m a Die hard cynic to the core-yet can find nothing to fault, must be something? :lol:

Errrrr...oh bugger...

For the people? Curses, yet again, you`ve delivered the kinda thing i Want to see in a retro.mag. :D

it`s NO good....Considering a lot of space is given to a series of games i`ve NO intrest in-i`m loving the mag.

Please put at least one poor bit in next months issue...or my Inner cynic will be feeling unwanted. :lol:

Darren-You know from my previous emails/Comments that i say it as i see it-If i think a feature or article is poor or lacking, i`ll shout out. :wink:

But This months issue? Fantastic. More like this please. :D

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:56 am

Well, I really like the cover! Very shiny! Really looking forward to reading the Super Metroid articles - it might actually tempt me into finally playing it after all these years of planning to.

The "For The People By The People" section looks really interesting too. Had a quick flick through and spotted that Avalanche game... never heard of it until now so that'll be something I'll have to track down.

Oh, and I love the Let's All Play section. There's definitely a great community feel to the magazine :D

[Edit] And I just realised we bought Wolfenstein 3D at the carboot last week. What a nice coincidence!
Last edited by Rinoa on Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:00 am

no Wolfenstein cover? :cry:

Still going to love this issue, lets hope it arrives on Thursday

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:01 pm

Always excellent that we get the mag on a Saturday morning. Not particularly any games I'm interested in this issue but was good to see the Archimedes article and found that really interesting - the kind of thing the mag always does well.