RG Reading Habits

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

How do you read RG?

Front to Back
30%
Back to Front
3%
Just flick through and read what interests you
18%
Best bits first
27%
Save the best for last
3%
Some other way
18%

Total votes: 33

SirClive

RG Reading Habits

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:27 am

I have just finished reading the Ghostbusters piece in ish 25. It was the one article that I was most looking forward to, but as I always read the mag cover to cover from front to back, I have only just got to it.

That got me wondering if I am some kind of autistic geek, or do other people have specific ways that they read the mag?

So...

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:35 am

I usually read the articles that I'm most excited about first and then read the rest from front to back.

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:32 am

I just read what I can be bothered with. In other words I never played Ghostbusters so I haven't read that bit of Ish 25... yet.
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:26 pm

I always ready mags from the front to the back. Every page, unless there is something I REALLY don't like. I don't think I've ever skipped anything in RG.

I'm currently up to page four of issue 22. I started at issue five (then got the back issues) and I've been catching up ever since.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:49 pm

A always read front to back, hence why I'm not up to the latest issue yet. I think the only article I ever skipped was the one about modding. Yes, I even read through the reams of text adventure stuff in the old RG...

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:53 pm

Sureshot wrote:I think the only article I ever skipped was the one about modding. Yes, I even read through the reams of text adventure stuff in the old RG...
I really enjoyed all the text adventure stuff, so much so that I've dug a few out since then.

And I read the modding article...

I read everything, starting with the bits I like the sound of most, then working from back to front picking up all the other bits. I just wish I had the memory to cope with it all.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:06 pm

only article i didn't read was about SFII in ish 3 I think. Never been a fan, but I will go back and read it at some point.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:24 am

I skim through the mag to see what is in it and then save my favorite bits for last.

I try and make the magazine last a week or two (say, reading one article a day) but that usually doesn't work out, and the magazine is read through completely usually within a day or two,

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:14 am

I have a quick skim through at first, always look forward to seeing the 'in next months issue...' page as that reminds me of the good old days of seeing a preview of next months Crash.

Always read the writeup on the machine featured each month and a fair few gaming features. Normally avoid a lot of stuff in the back pages, the retro country thing. Love the back to the 80's , like i said in another thread would love to see that expanded but not really about 80's fashion/music etc.

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:30 am

Mr. Pointless wrote:I just read what I can be bothered with. In other words I never played Ghostbusters so I haven't read that bit of Ish 25... yet.
Get a C64 emulator and play it now!!!! C64 version is the best and it's a great game.

Bleugh

Post by Bleugh » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:58 am

I dunno why, almost always have a very quick flick for something really interesting, read that, then read everything from the back to the front for all mags that I buy

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:01 am

I flick through the mag,back to front
Then read the articles I'm interested in
then read the ones I'm not over the next couple of weeks
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:00 am

Bleugh wrote:I dunno why, almost always have a very quick flick for something really interesting, read that, then read everything from the back to the front for all mags that I buy
My dad once told me that men are more likely to read magazines from back to front because they're used to going to the sports pages first when they read the newspaper.

I suppose there's some logic to that but it's quite a sexist and generalistic assumption.

I always start gamesTM at the back because of the retro section.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:21 am

Ash wrote:
Bleugh wrote:I dunno why, almost always have a very quick flick for something really interesting, read that, then read everything from the back to the front for all mags that I buy
My dad once told me that men are more likely to read magazines from back to front because they're used to going to the sports pages first when they read the newspaper.quote]

Rather than page 3? :P
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:13 am

From front to back, just as the editor intended.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian