Official feedback for Issue 64

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

hydr0x

Re: Official feedback for Issue 64

Post by hydr0x » Wed May 20, 2009 2:06 pm

Hey, all I did yet was browse through the issue once, so forgive me If I was mistaken.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed May 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Well it is Issue 64...

There would have been a making of Bruce Lee as well if I'd been able to get it, although maybe that would have pushed the 'ninja' count up a bit too high for some people :)

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed May 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Mine arrived this morning. Haven't absorbed it yet, but a quick flick shows promise. Had been expecting more 64-oriented content, of either the C or N variety.

Cool to see Paul Davies and Iain Lee around. I never watched Thumb Bandits but I did watch the 11 O'Clock Show. It took me a moment to recognize Davies, the name was very familiar but the mugshot just didn't ring a bell, was it there the whole time, did I just not notice, I know the name so it must've been... then I read the editorial and all became clear. He might need a different colour t-shirt, though, or there'll be war.

Looking forward to diving into that Virtua Boy article, I've always been curious about that thing.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Ruudos

Post by Ruudos » Wed May 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Eddie in Pixel Perfect. Isn't that the sam character as Flip-Top? I think so, then his first appearance was in Mega Man 4.

avoidz

Post by avoidz » Thu May 21, 2009 5:15 am

CraigGrannell wrote:'C64-heavy' is a curious description of an issue with precisely one C64-specific piece (the Quedex DPS), although, granted, a lot of Twiddy's stuff is C64-oriented.
Is this a return of the My Computer Is Better Than Your Computer argument from the playground?

C'mon, it's a multi-format mag :mrgreen:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu May 21, 2009 6:27 am

It's not really "my computer is better than yours", just a question of what's a lot of content. Then again, hydr0x already said he'd just flicked through the mag and was mistaken anyway.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu May 21, 2009 7:28 am

CraigGrannell wrote:It's not really "my computer is better than yours", just a question of what's a lot of content. Then again, hydr0x already said he'd just flicked through the mag and was mistaken anyway.
yup, although browsing through it again I can see why I got the impression. There's, like you said, the Quedex RR and the Twiddy piece. But there's also at least 2 homebrews, a couple of shots in the Beyond feature and I probably mistook Dandy as C64 :oops: plus, of course, Back to the 80s. That's probably still more coverage than let's say the NES (mind, I didn't check this) gets on average :lol:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu May 21, 2009 7:56 am

..and there was the top five chart for the C64 in back to the 90's :D
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu May 21, 2009 11:14 am

I've only just started looking at this issue (and I like to make them last!) but it looks frickin awesome so far! Really like the look of the Shinobi, Tetris, Garou, and Frankie features, awesome looking review section, looking forward to reading all that, the interview with John Twiddy, Virtual Boy bit... It all looks awesome! Already read the Back to the 80's and 90's sections, interesting as always.I usually read those pages first for some reason.. Thanks guys, really great issue! :)

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu May 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Speaking of Back to the Eighties, am I reading that right? Atari were at a game show in 1987 showing off a machine that wasn't due for release until 1992? What did they have on display, the developer's dad?
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Tank

Post by Tank » Thu May 21, 2009 3:34 pm

As usual, back to the 80's/90's are the best parts of the mag (IMHO) the missis always likes those sections for the music charts :wink: Thanks for the sizzler for Outrun, also enjoyed reading Jamie's Quak article, keep it coming and make it bi-weekly please :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 21, 2009 4:29 pm

Well, after somehow managing to cancel my subscription I had to go to WHS and actually buyt the mag off the shelF! :shock:

Got subbed back up again now , but a quick flick shows it to be of the usual high standard. The use of cyan in the Frankie piece is interesting - very Spectrummy!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu May 21, 2009 4:39 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Well, after somehow managing to cancel my subscription I had to go to WHS and actually buyt the mag off the shelF! :shock:

:lol: :lol: How the heck did you manage to accidentally cancel your sub?
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Meant to cancel sub to GamesTM, but ended up stopping this one instead!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 22, 2009 6:42 am

Still waiting to get mine; the local co-op seems to either not have it yet or have stopped stocking it since I used to buy it from there. Going to have to go slightly out of my way to see if Whsmith has it on their shelves.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.