Official feedback for Issue 64

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

clarance

Re: Official feedback for Issue 64

Post by clarance » Sat May 23, 2009 2:22 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:will the stealthy Ninja cover be even hard to find in smiths? :lol:
Mine was hidden away at the back of the bottom shelf in Smiths - took me a few minutes to locate it as it happens.

As for the magazine itself, I think this is one of the strongest issues in a while, seems to have much less 'corporate' content to it, and the new look and feel gets my thumbs up.

Don't know why Iain Lee seems to be so disrespected, dare I say that his involvement in the magazine gives it an air of acceptability and mainstream respectability, and I for one like the cut of his gib.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat May 23, 2009 2:25 pm

clarance wrote:Don't know why Iain Lee seems to be so disrespected, dare I say that his involvement in the magazine gives it an air of acceptability and mainstream respectability, and I for one like the cut of his gib.
Who is he, anyway? :|

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sat May 23, 2009 3:50 pm

Nice Front Cover. :) Can't wait to read the issue very soon. :)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat May 23, 2009 6:25 pm

clarance wrote: Don't know why Iain Lee seems to be so disrespected, dare I say that his involvement in the magazine gives it an air of acceptability and mainstream respectability, and I for one like the cut of his gib.
Dammit, I don't want to be respected! I want to be frowned upon by my peers!

(by the way, that's intended as a :lol: thingy)
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 24, 2009 4:43 am

Well, I've read most of the issue now. Not as much inside this one to interest me compared with the previous two or three but still a great read. The Virtual Boy and Shinobi features were great and it was nice to have a piece on Garou as well. Also loving that Chun-Li costume on page 13 :wink:

Looking forward to next issue's Super Metroid and Castle of Illusion features.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun May 24, 2009 5:55 am

Great Virtual Boy article :D :D :D
Really enjoyed it,made me put some batts in mine and have a quick game of Galactic Pinball.
But has anybody had a problem with the front cover of theirs?
The black on mine seems to be coming off?
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:07 am

Another fantastic issue! The quick Eugene Jarvis interview was hilarious, he comes across as such a great guy. Virtual Boy and Ninja articles were also very interesting. Big thanks for briefly mentioning Ninja Cop/Ninja Five-O, the game is a hidden gem and it really is a shame it got lost in gaming history.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 24, 2009 6:21 am

famicom69 wrote:Another fantastic issue! The quick Eugene Jarvis interview was hilarious, he comes across as such a great guy.
Me too!

Q: What's your proudest achievement?

A: Finally getting laid after decades in the computer lab.

Most of his answers to the questions made me smile but that one sticks out in my memory! :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun May 24, 2009 9:17 am

Eugene is a great guy—super generous with his time, and was massively enthusiastic during the interview I did with him on Defender and Robotron: 2084.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun May 24, 2009 10:29 am

Indeed, reasons why he's one of the few classic creators I'd still love to meet...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Mon May 25, 2009 6:01 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:I love the original on the Master System, even though I never managed to defeat the last boss (I hear the game only had a simple 'Game Over' ending anyway though).
Blood, sweat, and f**king tears... I played, and played, and played, and finally did it... And yes, just game over. Not even in pretty colours or anything, no, white on black. Bastardos.

Oh, great issue. Love the look of the new stuff, and dead pleased to see Iain Lee in there. And Paul Davies.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Tue May 26, 2009 4:12 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:It wasn't until years later I discovered it's the only version to have a life bar, so Lord knows how hard the others are!
It's not the only version - Super Shinobi 2 (aka: Shinobi III) has a life bar.
RetroKingSimon wrote:I can't believe the original Shinobi really ported to the NES though? I'm sure you did your research and stuff, I just don't get why a Sega game appeared on a Nintendo console at a time when Sega had their own hardware.
It wasn't just Shinobi - After Burner, Space Harrier and Out Run (to name just three) also appeared on rival consoles. At the time Sega was a distant second in Japan so I assume the company saw this as a way of making as bit of money out of the success of the Famicom. It's worth noting that the ports were done by other companies and not Sega itself, so it would be a good way to make some quick and easy cash. Ports also appeared on the PC Engine thanks to firms like NEC Avenue and Asmik, and ironically they were often far better than Sega's own conversion efforts.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:11 am

Overall a great issue, happy with the changes and new columists. My two bug bears though are the small size of some of the screenshots(difficult to balance I know), the Virtual Boy top 5 were tiny. The other one is a Last Ninja cover with little Last Ninja content. The Mario Kart issue had 10+ pages!

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue May 26, 2009 1:17 pm

Duddyroar wrote:
RetroKingSimon wrote:It wasn't until years later I discovered it's the only version to have a life bar, so Lord knows how hard the others are!
It's not the only version - Super Shinobi 2 (aka: Shinobi III) has a life bar.
I meant it's the only version of the original Shinobi to have a life bar (as far as I know), most of the other games in the actual series have got one (Shinobi 3, as you mention, Revenge of Shinobi too, and Shadow Dancer, and the Cyber Shinobi, can't remember about the GG Shinobi's though...). I used to be good at Master System Shinobi. When I finally played another version (on the Engine), I discovered the game's true hardness! :o
Duddyroar wrote:
RetroKingSimon wrote:I can't believe the original Shinobi really ported to the NES though? I'm sure you did your research and stuff, I just don't get why a Sega game appeared on a Nintendo console at a time when Sega had their own hardware.
It wasn't just Shinobi - After Burner, Space Harrier and Out Run (to name just three) also appeared on rival consoles. At the time Sega was a distant second in Japan so I assume the company saw this as a way of making as bit of money out of the success of the Famicom. It's worth noting that the ports were done by other companies and not Sega itself, so it would be a good way to make some quick and easy cash. Ports also appeared on the PC Engine thanks to firms like NEC Avenue and Asmik, and ironically they were often far better than Sega's own conversion efforts.
Yes, I know the Engine got a lot of Sega coin-op conversions, I was just surprised that the NES specifically got one. Nintendo and Sega were rivals even that early. :P

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue May 26, 2009 1:22 pm

Smurph wrote:
RetroKingSimon wrote:I love the original on the Master System, even though I never managed to defeat the last boss (I hear the game only had a simple 'Game Over' ending anyway though).
Blood, sweat, and f**king tears... I played, and played, and played, and finally did it... And yes, just game over. Not even in pretty colours or anything, no, white on black. Bastardos.
Haha, so it's true! Wow, what a wanky ending! I can get to the end boss fairly easily (although it's been while now). As I recall, he has four or five different incarnations with differing attacks. I could get to the last one, but just couldn't do it. I wouldn't have put in so much effort if I'd known! A good ending is the least one should expect for a game of that quality! The MS has my favourite game ending ever too! :P