Official feedback for Issue 64

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroKingSimon

Re: Official feedback for Issue 64

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri May 22, 2009 8:53 am

Megamixer wrote:Still waiting to get mine; the local co-op seems to either not have it yet or have stopped stocking it since I used to buy it from there. Going to have to go slightly out of my way to see if Whsmith has it on their shelves.
Wow, your Co-op normally stocks RG? :o I live in Portsmouth and I only know of two stores in the entire city that stock RG. A Costcutter near my house gets 2 or 3 copies of each issue, failing that the WH Smith in the precinct has it. If either of those sell out, I'm screwed! :? We have about a billion Co-ops, I've never seen RG in them, just the usual XBox, PlayStation, and PC stuff. RG's publishers needs to broaden their distribution!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:37 am

The virtua boy article was interesting.Any chance of neo geo aes/cd inspection in the future?
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 22, 2009 9:40 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Still waiting to get mine; the local co-op seems to either not have it yet or have stopped stocking it since I used to buy it from there. Going to have to go slightly out of my way to see if Whsmith has it on their shelves.
Wow, your Co-op normally stocks RG? :o I live in Portsmouth and I only know of two stores in the entire city that stock RG. A Costcutter near my house gets 2 or 3 copies of each issue, failing that the WH Smith in the precinct has it. If either of those sell out, I'm screwed! :? We have about a billion Co-ops, I've never seen RG in them, just the usual XBox, PlayStation, and PC stuff. RG's publishers needs to broaden their distribution!
Well, that's where I used to get it from when I wasn't a regular buyer of the mag. They have quite a broad selection of mags actually (3 shelves of them taking up 1.5 small aisles) including all the weird mags for obscure hobbies etc.

Went up again this afternoon to post some stuff off that I'd sold on ebay and they still hadn't put it out so I guess they may have stopped selling it after all. Whsmith later today it is then.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri May 22, 2009 9:50 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:Wow, your Co-op normally stocks RG?
Wow, I honestly didn't know that Co-op still exists!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri May 22, 2009 11:35 am

Just got mine today, from the Happy Shopper, no less.

Nice enough cover, although I've never played them Last Ninja things. Shinobi though, yep. I was hoping there'd be something about The Ninja (Master System) in there, but nah.

Paul Davies' portrait is hilarious! He looks like what General Jumbo would look like if he ever grew up. And Iain Lee? Sorry, had to hold back the vomit on that one, he's one step away from Justin Lee Collins and two steps away from Nathan Barley.

Nice to see the Pokemon Mini getting a bit of coverage in the Tetris article, maybe a full Pokemon Mini inspection someday? It's got a great pinball game on it.

And Byte Back was in there too! I was terrified in case I was in any of the photos, didn't happen :D

The Virtual Boy piece looks nice. Haven't read it yet, but I have a Virtual Boy, so maybe I'll be able to compare and contrast or something. What happened to the Perfect Ten though? And the And The Rest bit? I know there was only 22 games for it, but this could've been an opportunity to show them all in one big spread.

That Retro Diary thing is a bit confusing, and the Retro Booty thing is just plain offensive - no more of that one, please.

All in all, a good issue, and on first impressions, I'll give it a -B.

EDIT: Oh, and congratulations to Dwitefry for his harsh treatment of Alien Soldier! And it's a bit weird that Cannon Fodder is moaned at for the enemies being hard to see - I thought they were supposed to be camoflaged?
Last edited by TwoHeadedBoy on Fri May 22, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri May 22, 2009 11:45 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
RetroKingSimon wrote:Wow, your Co-op normally stocks RG?
Wow, I honestly didn't know that Co-op still exists!
There's one every mile or so around here! They're all just convenience stores now, not supermarkets like they used to be. I've never seen RG in any of them though!

It's funny you should say that about Co-op though, TwoHeadedBoy mentions Happy Shopper. I didn't know they still existed! I used to like their crisps. :P

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri May 22, 2009 11:49 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:The Virtual Boy piece looks nice. Haven't read it yet, but I have a Virtual Boy, so maybe I'll be able to compare and contrast or something. What happened to the Perfect Ten though? And the And The Rest bit? I know there was only 22 games for it, but this could've been an opportunity to show them all in one big spread.

That Retro Diary thing is a bit confusing, and the Retro Booty thing is just plain offensive - no more of that one, please.
I'd guess that the Virtual Boy doesn't have a Perfect Ten, simply because there aren't enough games for it. A Perfect Ten would be nearly half the entire roster of games for it! :P As for the Retro Booty, I want one of the Pac-Man Ghost keyring! :)

merman

Post by merman » Fri May 22, 2009 12:10 pm

(Actually, that might be part of the re-design - taking it from the perfect ten to the perfect five? Just a thought.)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri May 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Well, I have eight games on my Virtual Boy, all of which are perfectly playable:

Jack Bros.
Mario Clash
Mario's Tennis
Panic Bomber
Teleroboxer
Vertical Force
Virtual Boy Wario Land
Virtual League Baseball

Surely there must be two more to make a Perfect Ten? Too late now I s'pose.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri May 22, 2009 12:27 pm

Do they give you a headache? :P I want to play on a Virtual Boy one day, I guess I'll have to get off my lazy arse and go to one of those retro events! :lol:

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri May 22, 2009 12:31 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: And Iain Lee? Sorry, had to hold back the vomit on that one, he's one step away from Justin Lee Collins and two steps away from Nathan Barley.
Much as Iain Lee's a bit of a tool, I utterly, utterly despise Justin Lee Colins. He's one of those zany bellends that only seems to like something for ironic purposes- he's Timmy Mallet in a Saxon T-Shirt. :twisted:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri May 22, 2009 1:12 pm

They do give a nasty head-feeling, unless you play at night, with the lights off and the curtains closed...
Justin Lee Collins is a horrendous man, wonder if he'll be writing about "Bring Back Street Fighter" in the next issue?

Titan

Post by Titan » Fri May 22, 2009 2:03 pm

Shinobi feature was really interesting, makes me wanna play GG Shinobi again :-P

Oh and my boyfriend's reaction when he saw me reading the Virtual Boy section made me laugh - "What the hell is THAT?!" :lol:

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Finally got my issue - thank God for Whsmith.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat May 23, 2009 10:43 am

Read the Shinobi feature last night, really enjoyed it, thanks Stuart! :) Although I can't help but feel each of the Shinobi games could warrant a feature of its own. I love the original on the Master System, even though I never managed to defeat the last boss (I hear the game only had a simple 'Game Over' ending anyway though). It wasn't until years later I discovered it's the only version to have a life bar, so Lord knows how hard the others are!

I can't believe the original Shinobi really ported to the NES though? I'm sure you did your research and stuff, I just don't get why a Sega game appeared on a Nintendo console at a time when Sega had their own hardware. :? And the Shinobi timeline confused me a bit. How does Shadow Dancer (featuring Joe's son) come before Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi 3 (both featuring Joe himself)? Is he an OAP ninja in the latter two games? :P

Great article though, thanks! :)