From the forum question for issue 65

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MC1

Re: From the forum question for issue 65

Post by MC1 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Metroid Prime on the Cube.

The SNES version is lovely, but for me, going 3d made a class game absolutely incredible.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Fri May 08, 2009 7:21 pm

Metroid II Return of Samus. I don't remember just where I was stuck for a few weeks with just my trusty Gameboy for entertainment, but this game got me through it. Took me at least an hour to figure out how to damage the final boss.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Fri May 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Metroid Prime left me with that uneasy feeling you get when turning up late to an office meeting, having missed all the important parts that tell you who the visitors are, and why you were invited in the first place. Given this, my choice is the splendid Gameboy offering.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat May 09, 2009 6:39 am

The wii version is really good and uses the wiimote to really good effect......

graphics are very purdy and the game has some nice little puzzle elements too...

Never seems to get mentioned anywhere, but it is one of the best wii games (and there are plently more before the `ive never played on a wii` - haters comment)

joefish

Post by joefish » Sat May 09, 2009 7:49 am

Perhaps the question should be, who's actually played more than one Metroid game?

I've played Super Metroid on a SNES and Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii. But for me, as an FPS, the Wii one has far too much forcing you down particular routes, rather than letting you explore and just co-ercing you in the right direction. I think I stuck with the SNES one a little longer, so that would probably count as a favourite, but for all its novel effects it was still a bit too obvious with the 'go this way, collect ability, retrace your steps until you find an open door that was previously shut, dispose of baddie, repeat' mechanic. They're decent games, but they haven't got the balance right for me. It's like I love Zelda:Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, but I don't get on with Wind Waker as it's just that little bit more blatant with its linearity.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat May 09, 2009 2:34 pm

I've had a brief play of Metroid Prime and I didn't get very far, but I spent many hours trying to finish Super Metroid. Never quite managed it either, and I keep meaning to start the game from scratch. Always wanted to play the Super Metroid-like Gameboy titles. I guess I will one day, but for now my favourite is Super Metroid.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sat May 09, 2009 5:46 pm

i might get slapped by a purist for this, but for me its metroid prime pinball on the DS!
i take my ds every where i go and this is by far my most played game on it!
not too keen on the rumble pack...but the game has the kind of gameplay that stops it from getting boring....ever :D
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

clarance

Post by clarance » Sat May 09, 2009 5:48 pm

Gonna check that out, quite fond of portable pinball :)
Death may be your Santa Claus.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat May 09, 2009 6:06 pm

mohicankid wrote:i might get slapped by a purist for this, but for me its metroid prime pinball on the DS!
i take my ds every where i go and this is by far my most played game on it!
not too keen on the rumble pack...but the game has the kind of gameplay that stops it from getting boring....ever :D
Another fan :D Best pinball i've found on the DS, by far
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Sun May 10, 2009 2:49 am

I regret not having played Super Metroid yet. Still, I've enjoyed both Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission on the GBA, I and I found them great games. Then I've played Metroid Prime on the GC and I must say that this is definetly my favourite. Great gameplay, level design, graphics and sound! 100% thumbs up. I think it completely and successfully managed to transfer the game from 2D to 3D.
Something that I regret Konami hasn't yet managed to with the Castlevania series.

I have played a bit Metroid Prime 2; it's as nice as the first episode, but it has that little 'more of the same' look that makes me put it on a slightly lower step. Great game still.
I own MP3: Corruption for Wii and MP:Hunters on DS, but I haven't played tham yet.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon May 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Snes Super Metroid.. Played it up my friends house when it first came out and was blown away.. I only had a Megadrive bought a Snes after that
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Mon May 11, 2009 6:22 pm

joefish wrote:Perhaps the question should be, who's actually played more than one Metroid game?
Well, perhaps you could ask the same about many well know franchises. I have only played a single game of the following frachises: Mario Kart Double Dash (GC), Paper Mario the Thousand-Year Door (GC), Lylat Wars (N64), Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS), F-Zero X (N64), Wario Land 4 (GBA), etc. However incidentally I've played every single Metroid game but part II on the GB and Pinball... if it can be considered a Metroid game.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue May 12, 2009 4:17 am

I haven't played Metroid II either. I have, however, played a demo of a PC remake called Metroid: Confrontation <LINK>
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Tue May 12, 2009 4:21 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:I haven't played Metroid II either. I have, however, played a demo of a PC remake called Metroid: Confrontation <LINK>
Yeh I've been following this awesome remake for a long time, that guy is very talented indeed.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue May 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for me. I love the way it melded all the quintessential Metroid elements from the 2d games, Prime and Echoes and then took it all a step further with motion controls. As close to feeling Samus as you can be. Sorry, I meant to say, as close to feeling like you're there in Samus boots as can be :wink: