Do you want new making ofs?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Would you like making ofs or be able to discuss newer old games?

No I don't want to see GameCube, PS2 or XBOX in the mag as there are plenty of old classics still to cover.
52%
Yes, I don't mind as I love learning about old games, regardless of their actual age.
48%

Total votes: 62

Darran@Retro Gamer

Do you want new making ofs?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:10 am

Now before everyone starts jumping up and down and waving pitchforks at me. This is just an idea. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm basically wondering if people would be interested in the odd making of classics game (only) appearing covering GameCube/Xbox and PS2.

I've set up a poll :)

David

Re: Do you want new making ofs?

Post by David » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:12 am

Yeah I wouldn't mind that at all if it's an interesting game.

obviously "The making of generic football sim 2009" wouldn't be covered then?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:17 am

I wouldn't mind if its retro themed or part of a retro series.

Failing that (for the millionth time) DRIVER!!!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:44 am

I voted no, not because I wouldn't like to see the occasional GC/PS2 retro-style game (Viewtiful Joe? :D) but because the coverage of actual retro content is still not balanced enough. Early PC gaming comes to mind. Also, there's just so many games out there that deserver coverage and haven't been mentioned once. I'd like to see as many of those as possible before we enter the newer consoles.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:22 am

Thunderforce VI would be interesting.The last thunderforce outing was on psone/saturn
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:38 am

I voted yes, some making ofs for the PS2 would be cool. Id like the Hitman series. :)

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:59 am

Given that some of these titles are around 8 or 9 years old now (either at start of development or release) it's a definite yes from me.

Would this mean the Retrobates categories could be opened up to include titles for GC, Xbox and PS2?

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:14 am

I'd be happier if you only did Spectrum 48k stuff & maybe the odd 128k feature if it was an interesting game. :D

The more "pseudo-new" stuff the mag has, the more it becomes like any other modern games magazine.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

mile

Post by mile » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:32 am

nah wouldn't be interested in seeing those. wouldn't complain and throw my mag down the village well, would prolly skip the pages though. i think the gamecube era is still a bit too soon (sounds like a murder) to be talking about. i dont mind the odd mention of newer games if they have a strong connection the older games. but you are more likely to see those kind of making ofs in the better 360, ps3 mags.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:19 pm

I honestly don't mind!
These newer titles are gonna be considered retro in the future.
Let's just avoid the current gen stuff, eh!

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:25 pm

Much as I love the Gamecube in particular, I don't feel the time is right yet to welcome these previous generation consoles into the retro fold, tempting though it is.

Far too much modern stuff in the mag as it is as far as I'm concerned, there really is so much more out there from so many different retro systems that hasn't been touched yet. Dig deeper please.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:13 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Now before everyone starts jumping up and down and waving pitchforks at me. This is just an idea. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm basically wondering if people would be interested in the odd making of classics game (only) appearing covering GameCube/Xbox and PS2.

I've set up a poll :)
Yes, I wouldn't mind seeing this, as long as this particular Gamecube/XBox and PS2 game is based on a history of retro games made before this game (part of a Retro series) and this particular game is either a remake/re-boot/long awaited sequel. If this is not feasible, then this particular game covered should be Retro Themed that feels like a Retro Game.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:23 pm

clarance wrote:Much as I love the Gamecube in particular, I don't feel the time is right yet to welcome these previous generation consoles into the retro fold, tempting though it is.

Far too much modern stuff in the mag as it is as far as I'm concerned, there really is so much more out there from so many different retro systems that hasn't been touched yet. Dig deeper please.
I agree with that entirely. I wouldn't be interested in seeing that generation featured for a couple of years at least.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:24 pm

Maybe.

As I said in the other thread, I bought Edge for the last couple of years just for its 'Making of' and 'Revisited' articles. It doesn't have to be really old to be interesting, sometimes its nice just to discover a real corker of a game thats now going cheap.

I'm not necessarily keen on 'making ofs' for these particular systems though, I do prefer the 'revisited' style of article.

The problem with 'Making ofs' is that its what formed a huge chunk of what we've been reading over the last few years anyway, with Edge, GamesTM and all the other mags doing previews and in-depth interviews with devs etc, so we've already read over and over and over about most of the 'big' games and a whole slew of failed or lesser ones too.

Keep it obscure(ish) and it could work.

I'd rather have proper retro if I'm completely honest, but I'm open to the idea of at least throwing it into an issue or three to test the waters and see what you make of it.
Especially if it replaces the mobile phone section ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:44 pm

We've hardly scratched the surface of the PS1 yet - is there any real NEED to go further forward than this?
I wouldn't mind seeing coverage of more modern games where there is a heritage of older titles in the same series ,
but covering games soley for PS2 and beyond? No thanks
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"