From the forum question for issue 64

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

harlequ1n

Re: From the forum question for issue 64

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:52 am

Commander Jameson wrote:For Retro - Doom, but I expereinced it most on the PSX. Or should that be plural. I'll never forget the first time we managed to get 2 tellys, 2 Playstations and a link cable all in the same place at the same time. It was the first time EVER we had connected up 2 systems like this, and just being able to see your mate on your screen just blew us away. Then we started fighting. Oh, my god.....a prime example of graphics do not maketh the game, Sure, they were good in 1996 - but not so good that gameplay took a back seat. Amazing game.
This made me remember of my 1st cooperative and deathmatch Doom experience, not as spectacular as your PSX set up but still amazing for those DOS machines :)

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:03 pm

My favorite is Powerslave on Sega Saturn - smooth frame rate, great use of incremental powers, interesting Egyptian sci-fi/horror theme. And Team Dolls to find.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Commander Jameson wrote: For Retro - Doom, but I expereinced it most on the PSX. Or should that be plural. I'll never forget the first time we managed to get 2 tellys, 2 Playstations and a link cable all in the same place at the same time. It was the first time EVER we had connected up 2 systems like this, and just being able to see your mate on your screen just blew us away. Then we started fighting. Oh, my god.....a prime example of graphics do not maketh the game, Sure, they were good in 1996 - but not so good that gameplay took a back seat. Amazing game.
Yeah i did this too, did you ever play using only 1 disc? Nice bit of disc swapping saving £45 woop!

stulec52

Post by stulec52 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:49 am

Does Elite count as First Person Shooter?
I was just thinking it should, kind of...

so, that's my favourite then.

if not, well then I don't like First Person Shooters. I need help, so I become the 2nd person in a 1st person shooter.
all too complicated.

polomint

Post by polomint » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:54 am

QUAKE ! Sat in my tight leather strapless outfit, with GOD mode on, unlimited weapons and blasting anything that even remotely looks like it might wanna move.... OOoooo, damn it gets sweaty...

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:49 am

I gotta say oddworld strangers wrath on the xbox is a classic.I did enjoy red dead revolver.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:04 am

By the way... As it'll be Issue 64, I trust we'll get lots of Commodore 64 coverage?
8-bit, baby, Hell Yeah...
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:41 am

harlequ1n wrote:This made me remember of my 1st cooperative and deathmatch Doom experience, not as spectacular as your PSX set up but still amazing for those DOS machines :)
Were the PCs networked or linked by Serial cable?

The first time I did this, I didn't have network cards in my PCs (didn't have the dosh to splash out) so I linked the two PCs via Serial and played deathmatch Doom that way ...... Now that's what I call RETRO!

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:32 am

woody.cool wrote:Were the PCs networked or linked by Serial cable?

The first time I did this, I didn't have network cards in my PCs (didn't have the dosh to splash out) so I linked the two PCs via Serial and played deathmatch Doom that way ...... Now that's what I call RETRO!
Linked by serial cable man! My dad's and my 1st very own computer were linked in that glorious moment of human interaction that was mass murdering each other for hours and hours.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:42 am

harlequ1n wrote:Linked by serial cable man! My dad's and my 1st very own computer were linked in that glorious moment of human interaction that was mass murdering each other for hours and hours
Now that's my idea of FUN

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:34 am

Im not a hugeFPS man bu thad a thing for PS1 title Disruptor back in the day. Really fun shooter with some nice graphics and silly american cutscenes.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:23 pm

Zero Tolerance was a real wake-up call for me. Accolade could very easily have just trotted out any old muck and sold it as the first genuine FPS on the MD, but it was and is a brilliant, brilliant game. Still one of the tensest gaming experiences I've ever had.

Descent deserves a huge nod though, and I can't believe I'm the first to mention it. Once you got to grips with the 360 degree controls and over your vertigo, what a game.

There aren't many things that get me to willingly go into our loft, knowing that I'll end up covered in cobwebs and with hands full of splinters from the crappy flooring up there, but the 4 hours I spent going through boxes frantically trying to unearth bits of an old PC and a 3.5in copy of Windows 95 so I could play it again without going through Dosbox hell were hours very well spent in my book.
Last edited by ivortheinjun on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:56 am

Just you tubed that Zero Tolerance, looks mighty impressive.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

uglifruit

Post by uglifruit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:34 am

Although it isn't retro and the 'shooting' decidedly non-aggressive, I'm voting for Portal. One of only a handful of games that I have actually completely traded a night's sleep for.
...you been goofin' with the bees?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:10 am

"Alien Vs Predator"(PC):Not only Rebellion`s finest hour,but STILL the DEF."Aliens"game.

Tense,scary atmosphere.Rock hard gameplay and still the ONLY aliens game to have got the behaviour of the aliens just spot-on.

As good as monilith`s sequel was?the aliens just acted all wrong,thus reducing them to another Fps run at you creature.

Hopefully Gearbox have been playing this,a lot,whilst developing Col.marines :D