From the forum question for issue 64

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

mrspud

Re: From the forum question for issue 64

Post by mrspud » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:56 pm

Operation Wolf on Sega Master System with light phaser. Brilliant fun with the grenades controlled by my foot from the dpad connected to the second port.
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:24 am

Lots to choose from. Half-life/Half-life 2 for adding a good storyline to the shooting. Doom for being the first one to grab me....
Difficult....
Can I have System Shock 2? It's played in the first person and you shoot things.... alright, it's got RPG elements too but that just makes it more ace.

Yes, on refelction, using my unique set of rules, I choose System Shock 2.
I think therefore I'm right!

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:05 am

Doom. I had to wait over 10 years though to own a faithful port on XBLA, since I overplayed the very disappointing Sega Saturn version back in the day.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:17 pm

I was probably taking the piss before, but currently my favourite first-person-shooter really is Crysis, LOL.

I love how you can just say "sod it", and go for a swim instead... and then battle with the crabs and turtles... all games should be like this, you know...

(except anorexic pac-man and that)
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:32 pm

I'd have to say Duke Nukem 3D. Only way I can justify grabbing the PC version from Chips several years after getting rid of the Premier Collection copy that came with our first PC THEN downloading the XBLA version a couple of years after that (While keeping the PC copy).

I loved it when I first played it. It was fast, furious and funny at the time, and made Doom feel slow and dull when I finally got to play that.
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

retrakill

Post by retrakill » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Bioshock. By some distance. That game consumed me for months.
my friend's surname is sinclair

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:41 pm

The best I've played, certainly in recent years is Doom 3. Very playabie, superb graphics, extremely atmospheric, lot of scares, tons of enemies and badass weapons...everything a great pure action game should be. Many people didn't like the way you had to keep switching between the guns and the flashlight, but that really added to the 'panic' experience for me.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:03 pm

I would have to choose the original Half Life. The scripted sequences, gun play and graphics pushed it further than anything else at the time. It was probably the first time I felt genuinely immersed within a game setting. Valve did a fantastic job considering no other FPS came close for a good while, and the following expansion packs/mod scene also added to the games longevity. It was Counter Strike though that really pushed online gaming into the stratosphere. A true phenomenon.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:36 am

mrspud wrote:Operation Wolf on Sega Master System with light phaser. Brilliant fun with the grenades controlled by my foot from the dpad connected to the second port.
Excellent, that reminds me of playing Commando on the Speccy with a second Atari CX-40 joystick on the floor, using my heel to lob grenades.

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:51 am

From a Retro perspective it'd have to be Exhumed for the Saturn. Decent use of an Egyptian theme, great ammo system, entertaining and multiple exit maps ala Super Mario World and great re-playability with it's massive Easter Egg in the Team Dolls.

I think you could say it was the first, 'first person adventure' title as it was doing what Metroid Prime did a lot earlier.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:23 am

Painkiller. This kind of Robotron/Smash TV meet FPS kind of games should be done more often. This one has amazing playbility, looks great, and has some depth to it.

tuddy

Post by tuddy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am

Duke Nukem 3D. I spent countless hours playing it as a kid (yes, a child playing Duke Nukem. The horror.) and I think I used to know all of Duke's witty comments back in the day.

Only one's I remember now are "It's time to kick ass and chew Bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum." and "BALLS OF STEEL!". If I find the disc again, then I'll play it. I'm sure that there are better FPS games out there, but I don't care. None of them are as funny as Duke.

Kai

Post by Kai » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:49 am

For me, it's Half-Life, simply because of its thrilling story and the tons of atmosphere. Duke Nukem 3D is a close second. But I think nobody cares, since I'm too late, am I?

Bobak

Post by Bobak » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:20 pm

Left 4 Dead. Zombies = Awesome. Panda Zombies = Even more awesome, but awesomeness has its limits.
-- Bobak!

Bobak

Post by Bobak » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:23 pm

tuddy wrote:Duke Nukem 3D. I spent countless hours playing it as a kid (yes, a child playing Duke Nukem. The horror.) and I think I used to know all of Duke's witty comments back in the day.

Only one's I remember now are "It's time to kick ass and chew Bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum."
So they lifted the line directly from the cult classic "They Live"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_K8prLfso

Roddy Roddy Piper got shafted by the Oscar committee.
-- Bobak!