From the forum question for issue 64

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

neuromancer

Re: From the forum question for issue 64

Post by neuromancer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Splinter Cell for the Xbox. Seriously. But not for the game, for the magic powers it can unleash when wielded in the right hands (a bit like Adam's sword in He-Man) - its the keys to the emulator kingdom on the black monolith :D

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:36 pm

I actually preferred Doom 64. The visuals were improved over the first two games, and it stayed just as creepy and fun. Having an all new final boss was great too.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:07 pm

Jeremiah Jones wrote:I actually preferred Doom 64. The visuals were improved over the first two games, and it stayed just as creepy and fun. Having an all new final boss was great too.
Doom64 gave me the worst motion sickness; it ranks alongside Timesplitters 2 on the GC in that department!

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Disruptor, on the Playstation. Great gameplay, with colourful planetary scenery and a space station with big windows, all looking far more exciting than the drab browns on PC FPSs. Psionic weapons, big cybernetic baddies and neat snatches of FMV between levels made it a classy looking game. Even if the plot excuses for fogging did wear a bit thin on a couple of the levels...

In some ways though it's a tough question to keep Retro, when there are so many new FPSs. Other memorable ones are the original Wolfenstein 3D, for making me wish I could afford a PC, and HALO, for making me glad I bought an XBox (not that I think of it as retro whilst I'm still playing on it). But mention must also be made of Alien Trilogy on the Playstation for a great and scary experience that had you tiptoeing and peering into the darkness one moment, and backing up spraying pulse rifle fire around the next - desperately trying not to hit a glass case that would release something even nastier into the room with you.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:06 pm

Ghost Squad on Wii (if light gun games count) - if not then sadly it's Halo for me. (Does beach head count - the First Persons I Shot were in the that game :wink: )

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:28 am

Its got to be Kileak the blood !! (just kidding) , Call of duty 4 - not retro - yet !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

mile

Post by mile » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:19 am

goldeneye 007. quite simply the best FPS ever made and probably the best game ever made.

the first truely adult game i had ever played. rather than flying into space to shoot green monsters and save bikini clad 2d sprites. you were put into a realistic environment and asked to take the fight to enemies who looked like real people. there was something so special about exploring buildings that could exist in real life. the missions were simple, well thought out and apart from the dodgy tank mission were all excellent. This game didn't have 20ft tall boses to conquer, just some new and classic bond villains to put down.

the weapons were excellent from the silenced pistol to the deadly sniper rifle. the bond gadgets were there too. it was a true jame bond moment when you used your magnetic watch to steal the key to a cell.
you didn't rocket jump through this game, instead you ruthlessly took out all opposition with deadly force.

this game was the must have for the N64, and those without the mcahie were sure to rush out to buy the thing just for that game.

and it didn't end there, the multiplayer was an instant classic, one of the best ever made.

and the extras were excellent, instead of typing 'god mode', it made you work for the cheats, and it was a better game for it.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:21 am

Use to be Doom and GoldenEye 007. But when Call of Duty 4 arrived, it took it to another level.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:30 pm

Doom is the only first person shooter I can tolerate, mainly because of the total lack of realism. I can't get on with WWII or modern warfare shooters, I tend to humanise the 'targets' and I'm just not that into killing them. Gimme the chance to communicate properly, a feature that hasn't been implemented properly in a game since Captain Blood back in 88.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Jeremiah Jones wrote:I actually preferred Doom 64. The visuals were improved over the first two games, and it stayed just as creepy and fun. Having an all new final boss was great too.
I'm actually considering buying an N64 just for this game, I've played it a couple of times and love it.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:03 pm

harlequ1n wrote:
I'm actually considering buying an N64 just for this game, I've played it a couple of times and love it.
I'm glad there's somebody else who likes Doom64 ... I presonally thing it's a great version.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm going to abandon any thoughts of getting in the mag for this one and stick with Doom. Well, that and Doom II. No matter how far the FPS genre evolves, there will always be a reason and a desire to return to those trusty corridors again. Your GoldenEyes and Calls of Duty will come and go, Doom is forever.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:55 pm

My all time favourite FPS has got to be the superb Half-Life. I never completed it, but boy was I sucked in! The experiment at the start going horribly wrong is one of gaming's finest moments.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:07 pm

Half Life 2. For sheer immersion it cant be beaten, the way the story is integrated into the game is superb. It really has got a unique atmosphere. Quite eerie with the G man popping up in the corner of the screen and sloping off every now and then.

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:11 am

Rise of the Triad. What other game gives you bonus points if you can figure out how to shoot yourself?