Official feedback for issue 62

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Re: Official feedback for issue 62

Post by woody.cool » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:55 pm

I quite like the MD compilation and although not everyone agrees, I probably would give it a high score like Darran has.
This is based on the fact that I really like most of the games on the compilation.

For those who think this rating was too high, it's most likely because they don't enjoy some of those games .... they're not to everyone's taste.

So, in my opinion, I actually agree with Darran's score (and also, I don't have these games on anything other than the Mega Drive, so a new compilation of Mega Drive games was greatfully received as far as I'm concerned)

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:26 pm

ipmarks wrote:Even an old DOS survivor like me finds it difficult to use, it won't run my copy of Star Trek Anniversary Edition properly for love nor money. Any advice on this welcome...
People at vogons apparently have no problems running it after they got it installed. Are you installing from CD or floppies? If you want I can look into running the game on sunday.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:35 pm

I personally think the mega drive game was rated far too highly but i do enjoy the game after purchasing it 2 wks ago. it is a great collection of the classic sega games and theres always something for everyone. i played the original streets of rage but found the two sequels very underwhelming.

a criticism of the game is that the loading screens take far too long to display the picture from whatever game you have chosen it really should be lightning fast on the ps3 theres no excuse for that.
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:39 pm

hydr0x wrote:
ipmarks wrote:Even an old DOS survivor like me finds it difficult to use, it won't run my copy of Star Trek Anniversary Edition properly for love nor money. Any advice on this welcome...
People at vogons apparently have no problems running it after they got it installed. Are you installing from CD or floppies? If you want I can look into running the game on sunday.

I'm trying on CD. If you could post a solution on the forum that would be sweet...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm CD too... it runs, but without sound or mouse support, so the game is unplayable, thanks in advance.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:09 pm

ipmarks wrote:I'm CD too... it runs, but without sound or mouse support, so the game is unplayable, thanks in advance.
Another users at vogons who had that problem just had to run the setup routine (from the installed directory) iirc

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Many thanks to the good people who replied in ref.to my earlier post`s.

1st up,Hydrox:superb links there,Very gratefull indeed.Dos is confusing to a newbie like myself,who`s clueless.

ParanoidMarvin: :D ahh,but everywhere i look,be it forums,letters pages in mags i allways seem to come across letters/rants etc from folk who feel angry/hard done by with a score that`s been dished out.

Guess i`m a little tired of seeing sites,magazines etc accused of being"biased" towards a format just because a game scores higher or lower than folks expected.

Seen folks ignore games because they"only" got a 7/10 in reviews :lol:

As for myself?i Rent or try demo where ever possible before purchase.Find this far more reliable than a review score-proof in point?was really looking forward to resident Evil 5,Scored highly in the press,yet the 2 level demo.made me think it`s something i`d be better off picking up 2nd hand.

This is just my humble musing on the situation :D

Titan

Post by Titan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:31 pm

thevulture wrote:Guessing that with the saturn,it`s Architecture would make it Difficult to emulate well on todays hardware,but i recall the orig.Panzer dragoon being a hidden extra on Xbox Panzer dragoon orta(seem to recall it not being too hot :D )
Actually, if you read the interview with the developers of the Mega Drive Collection in this very issue, they mention that it was the PC version of PD1 included in Orta, as the Saturn version would have been difficult to emulate :P

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:58 am

:oops: Kinda skipped the Megadrive collection bit of the mag.As own the earlier MD collection on PSP and PS2.My bad.

I`ll........I`ll get me coat(Sound of door slamming) :lol:

Xyphoe

Post by Xyphoe » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:54 am

Is it out in WH SMITHS yet? If so I'll make the trek down to get it

(sorry if its been asked earlier in the topic but didnt want to wade thro 12 pages :) )
ImageImage

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:57 am

Xyphoe wrote:Is it out in WH SMITHS yet? If so I'll make the trek down to get it

(sorry if its been asked earlier in the topic but didnt want to wade thro 12 pages :) )
Someone else got it from SMiths a couple of days ago.

Great issue, best for a while for me.

Mr Campbells Slug piece was good (as is the case with his stuff) and due to coverage of Mega Drive Collection I popped out this morning and bought it.

Yes, it is bewt.

DrewPants

Post by DrewPants » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:25 am

OK, fair point. no more talk of the review in article x. :wink:

I actually wanted to also thank you guys for including the Amiga Game "Walker" and wondered if there has been a previous article about it at anytime? I feel that it is a game that deserves more press as I find most people have never heard of it!

I was thinking about my comments about the less then reliable shelf life of Sega's CD based consoles and wondered about the possibility of Retro Gamer doing a series about the upkeep and repair of the various hunks of junk...err treasure that we Retro Gamers tend to keep around. Surly it is the bane of ours lives when are favorite machines die on us and we are left searching ebay for an affordable replacement? There are a few companies in the back of the magazine that advertise console repair and even have Dreamcasts displayed all over the place but once you get there all they offer is repairs for current gen stuff and perhaps a single (often out of stock) wire for the DC.

There seem to be many videos out there on the 'tinterweb and the odd page dedicated to the subject, perhaps a "novice-eye" perspective and advice would be a welcome addition in Retro Gamer?

Of course something would have to go like, I dunno, telecommunication device coverage...ahem.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:44 am

DrewPants wrote:OK, fair point. no more talk of the review in article x. :wink:

I actually wanted to also thank you guys for including the Amiga Game "Walker" and wondered if there has been a previous article about it at anytime? I feel that it is a game that deserves more press as I find most people have never heard of it!

I was thinking about my comments about the less then reliable shelf life of Sega's CD based consoles and wondered about the possibility of Retro Gamer doing a series about the upkeep and repair of the various hunks of junk...err treasure that we Retro Gamers tend to keep around. Surly it is the bane of ours lives when are favorite machines die on us and we are left searching ebay for an affordable replacement? There are a few companies in the back of the magazine that advertise console repair and even have Dreamcasts displayed all over the place but once you get there all they offer is repairs for current gen stuff and perhaps a single (often out of stock) wire for the DC.

There seem to be many videos out there on the 'tinterweb and the odd page dedicated to the subject, perhaps a "novice-eye" perspective and advice would be a welcome addition in Retro Gamer?

Of course something would have to go like, I dunno, telecommunication device coverage...ahem.
Way too late for me to add anything meaningful to this month's feedback (I was almost forced to take the other half on holiday, and thus had no internet access for the best part of a week, and only a phone signal every now and again).

I'd certainly be interested, especially as I've popped open a few of Xbox (originals), N64s, Dreamcasts and Saturns - I'm certainly no electronics expert (curse you school timetable clashes in the 4th year, way back in 1987. I got forced to take art as you couldn't take both electronics and computing - insane!)

I reckon the answer from Darran will be that there won't be the level of interested in the general readership required to justify it though (I'd love to be proved wrong, however).

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:28 am

there is forums for all console electrical help

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:18 pm

25% less floppy than last month, is my guess; the laminated cover may have returned but RG still seems more flacid than before.... Maybe it's time for the forumite who offered to perform ghastly scientific experiments on his mag last month to reveal all - is RG becoming increasingly flaccid as it ages? :shock: