From the forum question Issue 63

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

lexiomiguel

Re: From the forum question Issue 63

Post by lexiomiguel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 pm

The GBA is probably my favorite due to the great Pokemon and Sonic games.I really preferred the position of the screen and how it was a wide screen.It was really a crime that they didn't include a back light as the first upgrade to the Gameboy series was color so then why not light next?Well if you want light then your going to have to get a stupid bendable light attachment that mostly gets in your way or buy our newly upgraded SP. Now Nintendo's pulling out the gadget friendly Dsi.I find the new and improved ploy to be a serious annoyance.I'm not going to waste my money on a slightly upgraded DS.Even if money wasn't an issues I still wouldn't buy it because of the lack of a GBA port and the simple fact that the selling point is two cameras and expanded online capabilities.I get a console to play games,not chat with friends.I'll play with them but if I'm gonna chat I might as well go hang with em,right?

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:37 pm

Has to be my GP2X, all those wonderful 8-bit home computers that can now travel around with me in one little handy bit of technology!
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

mile

Post by mile » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:23 am

The nintendo DS, simply because fo the excellent ZXDS emulator. Now i can be a man about town with all my favorite speccy games ready to play in my pocket.

also if i fell into a time traveling worm hole, i'd have something to do while i waited for the television to be invented.

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:56 pm

The Gameboy Light is the best handheld of all time.
2xAA batteries will keep this baby running all week, including eerie green glow. Not having to worry about charging is a convenience you don't get with other handhelds. It's why I still keep a Light with me in 2009... That and the fact that gameboy games are cheaper than tesco value sausages.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:50 pm

mile wrote:The nintendo DS, simply because fo the excellent ZXDS emulator. Now i can be a man about town with all my favorite speccy games.....
hmmm I always thought the DS was aimed primarly at females..... well thats what the adverts on TV pretty much say.... :oops:

to be honest... the DS specky emulator is reasonable.... but .... FUSE on the PSP is positively blindingly awesome!... really getting to grips with it.... I tried the specky emu on the wifies DS, and to be honest..... it just feels clunky in comparison.... not to mention that it cannot emulate a SNES at 40% effectiveness without stuttering or randomly crashing.

I know the DS homebrew / emulator scene is in its infancy and I would never discourage this developement, but i fear compared to a GP2x or PSP a nintendo DS is in the shade a little bit.

I took some time recently updating the OS on the DSOne card on my daughters DS, as well as trying out the megadrive emulator... jEnesisDS... well it needs some more work to be fair.....

Recently had some fun with SCUMM on the DS, and yes Its not to bad, although it was a *very censored word* to setup Indy and the Fate of Atlantis.

to be fair even though I could never want more than my PSP for emulation, the GBA is a fine handheld, if only they had given the original one a backlight..... tis why I had to hack mine!!! I wonder if its possible to re-house a GBA-SP into a hand-held... now that would be awesome..

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:12 am

My GameBoy Micro - No bigger than an original NES controller but with a perfect bright screen and a charge that lasts ages. 'SEGA Arcade Classics' now goes everywhere with me for a quick game of Space Harrier whenever I need it.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:26 am

TomyTronic 3D Sky Attack. Got this for Christmas early to mid 80s. Always reminds me of the movie Tron. My sister nicked this years later and became her Toilet game! So I only ever got to play it when I went to visit her and use her toilet.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

crazyteknohed

Post by crazyteknohed » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 am

Gameboy Light - it's got the coolest screen of any handheld!

Standalone - Climber 'cause it's so complex for an LCD game. It's almost like a 'real' video game.

crazyteknohed

Post by crazyteknohed » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:24 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
craigritchie wrote:I'd say my favourite handheld is the GP2X. Such a great little machine, and basically a retro gamer's dream handheld. I'm looking forward to the Pandora, though - when that comes out, nothing else is going to come close.
I'm thinking/worrying that the Pandora's not going to happen now, due to the recession and all that. Which means I'll be sticking to my trusty GP2X F-200. Lovely it is, but still haven't found any use for the touch-screen input.
Install ScummVM, then!