From the forum question Issue 63

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Loafer

Re: From the forum question Issue 63

Post by The Loafer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:17 am

Hmmm, tough call:

standalone handheld: WildFire pinball (LED). I must have put 50 hours into that thing. It still worked last time I tried it (a couple of years ago, I sent it away to a friend in the states so he could create a Visual Pinball version of it that was fairly accurate (that's dedication! :).

For a console handheld, I played the Atari Lynx the most of the entire lot (and its a long list!). Blue Lighting says it all. I have a PSP, it's probably the most impressive technical handheld ever, but its also the one that gathered the most dust. It's nothing to do with quality of games, which are great but those types of games, I run and enjoy them better on my 360. I guess my PSP has entertained me more with it's emulators than actual games.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:What's your favourite handheld? (console and standalone)
The original Gameboy brick for me, was just brilliant back then, changing the game cartridges, discovering a 128 games in 1 cartridge for the first time in Spain !

Standalone was Firefox - F7, superb old skool shoot em up, ate the batteries like anything (this was before rechargeables) but a brilliant game

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:53 am

You can't beat a bout of SNK vs Capcom MOTM on Neo Geo Pocket. I bought that game 6 months before I could afford the console!!

Bland_Boy

Post by Bland_Boy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 am

I'd never imagined you could have that much fun on a hand-held (until TonyHawksProSkater2/Mario Kart Super Circuit/Golden Sun)...
Being backwards-compatible with all previous GameBoy games was the icing and the filler...
With the GameBoyAdvance, gamers suddenly could have their cake and eat past-prime cakes as if they were new! *winks*
For a videogame that was released 11 years ago now, Perfect Dark for the N64 completely trounces all its FPS competitors
of the last decade or so, in terms of variety of multiplayer option at your disposal.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:39 am

finding out that my Gameboy Color was able to part colourise some Gamboy original games was a nice surprise - unlike seeing colourised Laurel and Hardy films which is horrible. (still voting for neo geo pocket colour though)

Rabiteman

Post by Rabiteman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:26 pm

The original GameBoy was great, the Pocket even better but the dark screens could make it difficult to see the games at times. So my vote goes to the GameBoy Light, with its electro-luminescent display which allowed for Tetris sessions wherever and whenever. It's slightly thicker than a Pocket as well and is more comfortable to hold as a result.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:19 pm

An honourary mention would have to be the GBA, a cool bit of kit after you hack it!

After you add an internal back-lighting mod, CF card for game backup ;) its an awesome bit of kit.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:41 pm

Gameboy!.I think super mario worked way better in the handheld world than sonic did!
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titan

Post by Titan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:55 am

Modern, it would have to be the DS. Leave it to Nintendo to come up with something innovative, and I'm really glad that it helped Ninty regain some of their former glory.
The Game Gear also has a place in my heart though. Just wish it didn't suck down the batteries so liberally...

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:38 pm

@Titan,

I Admit the DS is a very good handheld console, however its not really innovative is it?

touch screen has been done to death on many systems, as well as audio input.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:55 pm

TBH, when it said handheld, i thought of a different kind of handheld (oo-er, missus!) :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Grandstands Munchman. I learned every trick in the book to get those high scores as it was my very first home gaming experience and I will never sell it. Its too sentimental of my youth.

craigritchie

Post by craigritchie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:25 am

I'd say my favourite handheld is the GP2X. Such a great little machine, and basically a retro gamer's dream handheld. I'm looking forward to the Pandora, though - when that comes out, nothing else is going to come close.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:55 am

For me, it's probably gonna be the Gameboy Advance SP.
It's a lovelt little machine, truly is 'handheld' and can play GB, GBC and GBA ..... also, like Zetr0 says, it's awesome once hacked/modified.

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:44 am

I will stand very much alone and say the Nokia N-Gage QD. There are loads of mobile phone games out there worth trying, and the N-Gage is the only way to play them with a proper controller. The N-Gage exclusive library is small, but worthwhile - and to date, the only way to play them is with the actual machine.