From the forum question Issue 63

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum question Issue 63

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:50 pm

What's your favourite handheld? (console and standalone)

FatTrucker

Re: From the forum question Issue 63

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:01 pm

RetroGamer, other than that handhelds are for small people with 12 year old eyes.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:02 pm

FatTrucker wrote:RetroGamer, other than that handhelds are for small people with 12 year old eyes.
what???? prepare for severe DS fanboy backlash
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:05 pm

I've set out stalls so you can all form an orderly queue.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:06 pm

The handheld "Time Out" LCD game Fireman, Fireman

I've only had a couple of these old LCD ones, and nothing more advanced, so that wins. It's also the first one I got.

The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:08 pm

FatTrucker wrote:I've set out stalls so you can all form an orderly queue.
i assume youre joking about handhelds being for 12 yr olds. yeah that must be it.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Nope I stand by my original comments. I can see the appeal but they just aren't for me, if I'm gaming at home I don't need a handheld and if I'm not at home I'm doing something else. I can just about see the point if you're spending several hours on a plane or a train, other than that they have no use for me. Definitely in gadget territory.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:17 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Nope I stand by my original comments. I can see the appeal but they just aren't for me, if I'm gaming at home I don't need a handheld and if I'm not at home I'm doing something else. I can just about see the point if you're spending several hours on a plane or a train, other than that they have no use for me. Definitely in gadget territory.
well they certainly arent just for "twelve year old eyes". brain training and zelda games alone have shifted the DS from its kiddie market to millions of adults worldwide. you dont have to just play them on a train or bus. just before bed or when you have a few mins free is also a perfect time.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:18 pm

For me,its got to be the Sega gamegear.
As well as playing games on it,you can watch the tv and listen to the radio.
And the graphics are not that bad either,although it does tend to blur a bit and eat the old AA batteries.....but i love it.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:39 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Nope I stand by my original comments. I can see the appeal but they just aren't for me, if I'm gaming at home I don't need a handheld and if I'm not at home I'm doing something else. I can just about see the point if you're spending several hours on a plane or a train, other than that they have no use for me. Definitely in gadget territory.
You are so not going to like next issue... (edit Issue 63)

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:54 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
dont you dare edit it for he sake of one person. handhelds rule!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
:D

Going back to the pm's we exchanged I'm all for seeing modern handhelds covered in the section aloocated for that kind of thing, and regardless of whether I like the platform if it covers Retro handhelds then I'm good with any articles covering interesting or popular systems I remember from back in the day.
However if the Mag starts turning into an iphone/DS/PSP fest then you're right, I'll hate it, and you might as well dispense with the RetroGamer moniker in favour of something more suitable.

Anyway why aren't you at byteback?.
krusty40 wrote: dont you dare edit it for he sake of one person. handhelds rule!
Would never, ever happen so I don't think you need to worry. The mag isn't run by forumite committee, although they will listen to our opinions and act on one's they agree with, we represent a fairly infinitesimal part of the readership.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:05 pm

Tomy Tronic's Sky Attack - there was nothing quite like it back in the day
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Whilst the DS/Lite is very nice with its touch screens and wifi, my favourite handheld is my GBASP.

i'm sure i actually drooled when i first saw it advertised, and was one of the few machines that made me think "I have to have it!!'

Very practical too, the clamshell design protecting the screen and genuinely small enough to fit in your pocket and a battery life that turned all the other handhelds green with envy :mrgreen: Plus all the classic Ninty franchises.....BRILLIANT!
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:12 pm

i'm going to have to say my (very) well worn Gameboy Advance; i've got loads of shoot 'em ups for it, there are even more for the Gameboy as well and i've even got the cartridge for a game i did graphics for - yay!