New Vs Old - Super Mario 64 Vs Super Mario Galaxy

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy?

Super Mario 64
49%
Super Mario Galaxy
51%

Total votes: 53

Darran@Retro Gamer

New Vs Old - Super Mario 64 Vs Super Mario Galaxy

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:49 pm

So which 3D Mario is the best eh?

FatTrucker

Re: New Vs Old - Super Mario 64 Vs Super Mario Galaxy

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:03 pm

Tough one, Galaxy is marginally a better game but 64 was there first, pretty much defined (and continues to define) the benchmark for 3D platforming, brimming with ideas, great touches, playability and discovery and really felt like Super MarioWorld in 3D......so I'm going to go with SM64.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:06 pm

Mario 64 by some considerable margin
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm probably going to upset a few people but i didn't like Super Mario 64 that much......but Galaxy, i just love it to bits :D

I know all the arguments to why it should be 64, but to me Galaxy has more of a sense of freedom, and the control method with the remotes is exemplary, i just had more fun with it. To me, thats what counts........
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:00 pm

At the time Super Mario 64 was a 3D revolution whose series of vast playgrounds offered previously unseen gameplay thrills. It was worthy of the many 'greatest game of all time' accolades it received. The greatest achievement of Super Mario Galaxy was to make the N64 classic (and certainly GC follow-up Sunshine) look like a misstep. Its second greatest achievement was to pen a love letter to Super Mario 3's legion of loyal fans while chatting up the future of platforming. Those who claim it's just more SM64 with better graphics know nothing about either.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:04 pm

Given the options I went for Mario 64 - Having said that, I don't really like him in 2D or 3D!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:56 pm

I've only played the Mario 64 DS version- and it was a lot more fun than Galaxy - but none of the 3d Mario's had thrilled and charmed me

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:14 pm

SM64 is still one of the best games ever made, yet Galaxy somehow makes it look dull and repetitive. Galaxy is simply wondrous, the only serious contender to GTA for the best videogame of all time, and anyone with a single bad word to say about it can die in a chemical fire as far as I'm concerned.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:26 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote: Galaxy is simply wondrous, the only serious contender to GTA for the best videogame of all time, and anyone with a single bad word to say about it can die in a chemical fire as far as I'm concerned.

Glad i stuck my neck out now...... :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Galaxy is the best Mario since Super Mario World for me.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:SM64 is still one of the best games ever made, yet Galaxy somehow makes it look dull and repetitive. Galaxy is simply wondrous, the only serious contender to GTA for the best videogame of all time, and anyone with a single bad word to say about it can die in a chemical fire as far as I'm concerned.

er...which colour fire extinguisher do I need to save my bacon...... :shock:

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:46 pm

Mario 64 became the measuring stick for every 3D platformer at the time, it accomplished so much more than Super Mario Galaxy did! And in Mario 64, you could pull Mario's nose! :lol:
Last edited by Spooky on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Garystone10

Post by Garystone10 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:07 am

Galaxy definately, still the only Wii game I've spent more than a couple of hours on. Super Mario 64 was great, but was literally just a straight translation of Mario from 2D to 3D (not a bad thing I hasten to add) with the same Mario staples and level designs. Galaxy however is possibly the best 3D platformer ever and is imo the only game to try and add new things to the genre. The level design is perfect, the atmosphere is amazing and I really like the addition of a second player 'helper'.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:21 am

Garystone10 wrote:Galaxy definately, still the only Wii game I've spent more than a couple of hours on. Super Mario 64 was great, but was literally just a straight translation of Mario from 2D to 3D (not a bad thing I hasten to add) with the same Mario staples and level designs. Galaxy however is possibly the best 3D platformer ever and is imo the only game to try and add new things to the genre. The level design is perfect, the atmosphere is amazing and I really like the addition of a second player 'helper'.
That's where our views differ on the games. For me 64 was a brand new style of 3D game that happened to star Mario and some of the Mushroom Kingdom regulars, as much of an adventure as it was a platformer, whereas Galaxy is far more focused on platforming and a successful attempt at taking Mario's 2D games into the third dimension (and beyond). To echo my first post, it wasn't until Galaxy came out that I realised just how little of a true Mario game 64 actually was. Before Galaxy, when it came to determining the best Mario game, it was always difficult to compare 64 with SM3 and World. Now Galaxy can hold a genuine claim to best Mario game of any era.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:07 am

They're both fantastic... Super Mario Galaxy is one of the few games though that makes me feel nauseous with motion sickness. All that spinning round planets and everything... so my vote goes to SM64.