DO YOU APPROVE OF 'RETRO STYLE' GAMES IN RG?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DO YOU APPROVE OF 'RETRO STYLE' GAMES IN RG?

Yer - me likey new 'retro style' games being in RG
90%
No! - it boils my blood to see this modern filth in retro clothing
10%

Total votes: 61

Titan

Re: DO YOU APPROVE OF 'RETRO STYLE' GAMES IN RG?

Post by Titan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:50 am

Dunjohn wrote:I'm very cool with it. To be honest, I'd trust a review in Retro Gamer for a game like Sonic Unleashed more than in an all-modern magazine, because I feel they're more likely to "get" the game in the same way that I do. The average twelve-year-old that makes up a good percentage of those magazine's readership isn't going to care about Sonic heritage as much, and those magazines know that.
I agree completely, RG can often give a better perspective that other mags because of this.

And although I know some didn't approve of the Konami advertising last issue, I must admit it worked on me as I then went out to buy Time Hollow for the DS. :P
Although not quite as true to the old "point and click" games as they'd have you believe, its still an enjoyable game.

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:31 pm

I had to vote "Yes" for this.

There are some amazing retro-style games being released these days, and without Retrogamer covering these, then it's going to be difficult to find out about them.

I've recently been enjoying a number of games from Rake in Grass (http://www.rakeingrass.com/), who churn out some fantastic stuff for both Mac and PC.

I can seriously recommend Jets n Guns, and the wonderful Archibald's Adventures. Both titles are really highly polished, and at the same time feel very retro.
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:42 am

I think anything retro styled or based on retro games is fine.

For example I rate Geometry Wars as one of the best retro games around! Modern contemporary game, thats incredibly retro in looks and gameplay. It wouldnt look out of place in an arcade in the early 80s.

So I am all for these :D