The Mobile Phone Section

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Re: The Mobile Phone Section

Post by woody.cool » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:18 am

Opa-Opa wrote:If you don't belive that the 2 pages is enough to do that and know that most of your regular readers can't stand the thought of mobile phone games in the magazine why bother with it in the first place..?
Like you're good self, I really don't get why there even needs to be a mobile section .............. the mag is called Retro Gamer, where does the iPhone fit in to retro?

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:39 am

woody.cool wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:If you don't belive that the 2 pages is enough to do that and know that most of your regular readers can't stand the thought of mobile phone games in the magazine why bother with it in the first place..?
Like you're good self, I really don't get why there even needs to be a mobile section .............. the mag is called Retro Gamer, where does the iPhone fit in to retro?
I still share that opinion too. I don't understand why there's an iPhone section either - esepcially over the PSP/DS which are much better systems for retro gaming!

And before anyone mentions it - I have played on the iTouch, my boyfriend owns one. I personally think they're extremely gimmicky and naff gadgets. And even though Mark loves the iTouch he can't really see why RG now has a 2-page section with phone games either.

Okay. I'll keep quiet now ;)

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:50 pm

I think the section is a great addition. The only criticism I have is that it was limited to the iphone/ipod touch; not extended to other platforms.

I own and have enjoyed games on all of the following:

-iphone
-symbian based mobile phone
-palm pda
-windows mobile pda.

I will admit that none of them have the flexibility of game control that a dedicated handheld console offers. Even the Nokia N-gage, which does have a D-pad, can only accept one button press at a time.

As game platforms, they each have limitations. However, there are games to play on all of them. Among those are some genuinely enjoyable ones. How appealing they may be depends on the preferred genre more than anything else, I think. i haven't found a good platformer or driving game (in my opinion) on any of them - mainly because of the control limits - but they can handle slower paced games like adventures, RPGs, strategy, and board/card games.

Another thing that I like about them is the relative simplicity of the games on offer. To me, a big part of the appeal of retro games is the willingness to experiment with new, innovative ideas and unusual concepts. Mobile and PDA games don't require massive budgets and development teams to create. Publishers do not need to worry about recouping as large a cost, so they can afford to take more risks.

I will grant you that there is quite a lot of rubbish for mobile phones in particular - but if anything, that offers more justification for the magazine to help readers find the gems hidden amongst the dross.