The Mobile Phone Section

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13160
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by sscott » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:01 pm

An interesting article on BBC news site about the emergence of the iPhone as a dominant games platform - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7960513.stm
Say what you will, but the Apps section of iTunes has proved immensley popular.
Image

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:28 pm

As I've mentioned on the feedback section , I see no need for i-phone reviews in the mag , let alone an i-phone section
If a good one comes along , thjat is really worthy of notice then great - if not , then I'd really rather not bother. There are countless PSP/DS/homebrew games
being released every month which are FAR better than any phone game , surely they should take priority?
In all honesty I buy RG for it's retro , not for new releases and certainly not for i-phone software ; there are other magazines and publications to cater
for those who want them. Sure , if one is special or unusual enough to feature , then that's perfectly fine , but I feel (and I hope I'm wrong here) that RG are going to find several
iphone games every month to ensure these 2 pages are filled
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:41 pm

There is no iPhone section. You are misinterpreting those 2 pages. They are Mobile games pages, not iPhone. They cover other phones too.
Image

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:49 pm

SirClive wrote:There is no iPhone section. You are misinterpreting those 2 pages. They are Mobile games pages, not iPhone. They cover other phones too.
I only said iphone as I assume that's where most of the 'best' mobile-phone gaming comes from. As far as I'm concerned , my comments apply to any form of phone-gaming
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:57 pm

I still think that is a bit blinkered. Why be blinded by the fact that it can also make calls? The fact of the matter is that there are some fantastic games on the iPhone/iPod Touch and regardless of peoples prejudices against mobile phone games it is a fact. I can fully understand the 'I don't want new games in RG' position, but no iPhone games is like saying no PSP or no DS.
Image

Gabe
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:24 am

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by Gabe » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:01 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
SirClive wrote:
I can fully understand why a number of people are feeling p!ssed off and maybe a little betrayed in this instance.
How can you be betrayed by getting exactly what Darren said? How can you be betrayed by getting retro styled games reviewed - just like every other issue of the mag?
To be fair he's got a valid point.

I specifically stated that there would be no more than 8 pages (i wasn't including the homebrew stuff) but the very next day we went into a redesign meeting and it was felt that those 8 pages I'd put forward wasn't strong enough for the revamped section and it was quickly changed. Therefore, it now looks like I was lying, which would no doubt cast distrust on any future claims I may make.
It doesn't make it look like you are lying - but it does make it look like you don't really have much control over what actually happens. I'm not saying there's much truth in that, mind; just that it is an impression that could be formed.

Although it *does* raise further questions as to what exactly was felt would be achieved in 9 pages that couldn't in 8? How does that extra page make the section so much stronger?

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6770
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:06 pm

I have a boss like everybody else Gabe ;)
Image

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by clarance » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:07 pm

SirClive wrote: but no iPhone games is like saying no PSP or no DS.
That's the crux for me, personally, I seldom read anything that has any kind of modern content to it (apart from the homebrew, which is still after all based on old hardware). If I want to read about that kind of thing I'll go to the appropriate channels, that's not what I buy Retro Gamer for. Retro remakes on modern systems are all well and good, but there's so much more out there on the 'retro' systems that would be of more interest to me.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:09 pm

SirClive wrote:I still think that is a bit blinkered. Why be blinded by the fact that it can also make calls? The fact of the matter is that there are some fantastic games on the iPhone/iPod Touch and regardless of peoples prejudices against mobile phone games it is a fact. I can fully understand the 'I don't want new games in RG' position, but no iPhone games is like saying no PSP or no DS.

well , I only mention mobile games as this thread is about them . Personally , I wouldn't have ANY modern games reviewed in the mag , but if we are to have some , then only
feature thme if they are truly special or unique (as could be argued is the case with SFIV and the Megadrive Collection). I really would rather not see RG filled with a growing number of pages of modern game reviews; like I've said , there are other mags that cater for them
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:09 pm

And I would agree to a point. I don't mind a few pages of remakes/retro styled, but if I had my way we would be talking 4 pages and not 9.
Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6770
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:25 pm

the only games reviewed in the mag will be those based on established franchises or what look like retro games. It's how it's allways been, it's how it will continue to be. We've not changed that stance over the past 43 issues (more if you include the old RG) it's unlikely to change now.
Image

User avatar
Crunchy
Posts: 2123
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:43 am
Location: Claymorgue Castle

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by Crunchy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:44 pm

SirClive wrote:I can fully understand the 'I don't want new games in RG' position
I don't.

I never have. Not even back in the Live days.

I've never got my head around people who view retro gaming as a strictly hardware/software nosatalgia thing. They'll happily play a 2D platformer on the NES but won't touch a remake on a modern system because it isn't "retro". They miss the point of it all IMO. For me, gameplay itself can be just as retro as the old hardware and software. The title of the mag has always been Retro Gamer rather than Retro Collector or Retro Nostalgia. What sort of person sniffs and turns his nose up at a swish new version of Robotron just because it's on a modern platform? I certainly wouldn't call them retro gamers and that's a fact. Retro nerds more like.
Some games are just obviously Retro no matter what new platform they appear on. Retro in style and Retro in spirit. They deserve coverage and always have.

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by clarance » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:59 pm

Crunchy wrote:
SirClive wrote:I can fully understand the 'I don't want new games in RG' position
I don't.

I never have. Not even back in the Live days.

I've never got my head around people who view retro gaming as a strictly hardware/software nosatalgia thing. They'll happily play a 2D platformer on the NES but won't touch a remake on a modern system because it isn't "retro". They miss the point of it all IMO. For me, gameplay itself can be just as retro as the old hardware and software. The title of the mag has always been Retro Gamer rather than Retro Collector or Retro Nostalgia. What sort of person sniffs and turns his nose up at a swish new version of Robotron just because it's on a modern platform? I certainly wouldn't call them retro gamers and that's a fact. Retro nerds more like.
Some games are just obviously Retro no matter what new platform they appear on. Retro in style and Retro in spirit. They deserve coverage and always have.
Horses for courses.

For me retro is all about the nostalgia, and that isn't at all the same on a modern system. It's all about reliving those halcyon days where the power-packs smelt funny, the loading times made you stamp your feet, and the games would often leave you wanting and imagining much much more. Retro remakes, OK, there's a place for them in the whole shebang, but it's not quite the same thing. iPhone and retro is too much of an oxymoron for me to take.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26900
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:32 am

I'm ok with mobile games in the mag, but I don't think they warrant a regular section of their own.

Give us reviews highlighting what's worth playing acros a range of platforms, mix it up with other systems.

If it must be a dedicated section, it should be a cross platform handheld one, not a specific mobile one. Throw them in among the PSP, DS, GP2X etc.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re: The Iphone debate.

Post by SirClive » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:12 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm ok with mobile games in the mag, but I don't think they warrant a regular section of their own.

Give us reviews highlighting what's worth playing acros a range of platforms, mix it up with other systems.

If it must be a dedicated section, it should be a cross platform handheld one, not a specific mobile one. Throw them in among the PSP, DS, GP2X etc.
I completely agree with Ant there. I think this whole debate could have been avoided by not badging the reviews sections. I have never been a fan of the 'psp reviews issue' or the 'xbla reviews issue'. I think every month should cover the games that are around that month and not just focus on specific systems. I like the more random approach.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests