Official feedback thread for issue 25

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:07 am

cheeky_muffin wrote:The first time I've made it into a magazine although I wished it was my real name instead of my gay sounding user id :lol:
Could be worse, your old username of 'Pink Fluffy Happy Fairy' i would say was worse ;)

VinnyM

Post by VinnyM » Fri May 26, 2006 9:04 am

heh heh - I am only partly through the mag but I just need to say that Archer is a laugh. I really enjoy his feature and find his quips and stories very amusing.

Also, can I say that I am glad I'm NOT his next door neighbor! ;)

MORE of Archer and his stories, please.
Fancy viewing some Commodore 64 game endings? http://www.c64endings.co.uk
Old C64 games refreshed and revived: http://www.c64endings.freeolamail.com/h ... yhacks.htm

savva0122

Re:

Post by savva0122 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:16 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
savva0122 wrote:Forbidden Forest - one of the best for me, in my top 3 games, absolutely marvellous, should have mentioned Beyond Forbidden Forest though! What a marvellous game for 82/83.
Glad you liked it. The reason BTFF wasn't mentioned was primarily because Paul didn't talk about it, but also because this was a single-game feature rather than a series one. I did write an "other games in this series" box (with BTTF and a grab, along with FF3) but I guess that was cut for space reasons.

It was good fun going through the game again, too, although getting a decent grab of the Demogorgon took a while!
The one with the white screen? Yep I thought that must have been a mite tricky
pranoid marvin wrote:A lot of people looking at Forbidden Forest in the mag would probably wonder what all the fuss was about-it looks terrible!

But for those of us who've played it,we know just how atmospheric a
game it could be,especially with the lights off!
And the sound turned up on the TV. Gosh I can remember the old ticker pumping as I tried to get the old demogorgan through the eyes! :oops:

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri May 26, 2006 8:35 pm

savva0122 wrote:The one with the white screen? Yep I thought that must have been a mite tricky
Yup, here it is in all its glory:

I took a bunch of stuff from that level, but this one was really fortuitous—I got the timing right and ol' Demo was right in front of me! I couldn't have asked for a better shot!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri May 26, 2006 8:47 pm

Bah, no issue so far.
When did the New Management issues start? I got 2 for free, and have subscribed for 6, so I can't possibly have run out already?

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sat May 27, 2006 1:27 am

Excellent issue - well done guys.

The Ghostbusters feature was superb. Can't fault it.

I was drooling over your anticipated Amstrad feature (see other thread) and I was a little disappointed as I wanted MORE!!!! But, it sufficed. However, you did not feature Sorcery in your 'Perfect 10' OR in your screenshot page! How could you make such an omission! I know top tens are always contentious but to deny it a screenshot... well I am very, very disappointed with you and I may have to take this up with my psychiatrist.

So for this month, I give it a 9 1/2 out of 10

:wink:
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

VinnyM

Re:

Post by VinnyM » Sat May 27, 2006 4:12 am

Have you seen the game ending? I have the game ending to Beyond the Forbidden Forrest in my site, but I am interested in seeing what happens in the first game :)
Fancy viewing some Commodore 64 game endings? http://www.c64endings.co.uk
Old C64 games refreshed and revived: http://www.c64endings.freeolamail.com/h ... yhacks.htm

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Sat May 27, 2006 6:03 am

NorthWay wrote:Bah, no issue so far.
Same here. The last two issues arrived at the in-stores-date, this time round it's already two days late (and I therefore don't have anything interesting to read for the week-end)... :cry:

I wish the subs department would figure out another way for us Europeans, especially since the free issues a few months ago came in a lot faster.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat May 27, 2006 10:40 am

NorthWay—#19 was the first Imagine issue. That means you'd have also got #20 for free. Your six-month sub (assuming you subscribed right away) should run out with #26.

VinnyM—if you mean for Forbidden Forest, there are effectively two "endings", both of which are depicted in the feature. The first is if you fail to defeat the Demogorgon within the allotted time period. Then, his big, scary head descends the screen and the game swtiches to the fast-paced music and the continue screen (same as it does when you die at any point); the other "ending" is when you smack ol' Demy between the peepers, whereupon he explodes into those star-shaped sprites, which zoom about the screen while the background flashes lots of different colours. I can't recall if the game then drops into the standard continue screen at that point or whether it just loops back to the spiders, though.

Weblaus—things could be worse. When I lived in Iceland, my subs (not from Imagine, which didn't exist then) took around six weeks to arrive.

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sat May 27, 2006 11:42 am

You lived in Iceland Craig??? Seriously? Did you ever meet Bjork?

He he.

On a slightly anorak note, I am a bit of a chess player (current grade 1645) and I have always wanted to visit Iceland because of the Bobby Fischer connection.

For those not in 'the know', Bobby Fischer is currently the only westerner ever to achieve the accolade of 'World Chess Champion' because in 1972 he beat the current world champion Boris Spassky, in Reykajik, Iceland. He was given 'freedom of the city' and apparently there are numerous 'shrines' and dedicated museums and shops dedicated to celebrating this event.

So are you a chess player Craig and if so, did you ever visit any location of chess interest???

I am not such an enthusiast these days, but still have a passing interest. Work commitments forced me to drop out of playing for my local town league, though I still enjoy games over the internet using Fritz 9.
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat May 27, 2006 12:07 pm

GetDexter wrote:You lived in Iceland Craig??? Seriously? Did you ever meet Bjork?
Um, no, especially seeing as she's not lived in Iceland for years. I did, however, take a lot of really nice photos when I lived there. It's a really beautiful country. As for Bobby Fischer, I don't know of any "shrines", "dedicated museums" or "shops" based around him, although he was in Icelandic media an awful lot for a while.

As for chess, I can play, but I rarely do these days, and I've no idea about any locations of chess interest!

mr.zzapback

Post by mr.zzapback » Sat May 27, 2006 2:02 pm

I thought the Zzap!64 coverartwork of issue 18 would have been more in place (although it was about BEYOND FF -the sequel) than the cover of Zzap!64 issue 30 only because it had a tiny-tiny budget review of the game in question. If you're not "in the know" you really ask yourself the question: what's that Zzap! cover doing over there?

Just a thought. 8)
*Creator of the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64* www.zzapback.com*

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Sat May 27, 2006 5:07 pm

I'm enjoying this issue more than the last. I've been a big fan of Back to the 80's section and I like the new A-Z of the 80's. Yeah so its not about games but its part of the nostalgia we have about games and is inseparably linked to how we perceived the world while growing up at that time. The A-Team, Airwolf the 1984 Olympics etc is as much a part of our lives (where ever we grew up in the world) as video games.

NorthWay

Re:

Post by NorthWay » Sat May 27, 2006 5:21 pm

NorthWay wrote:Bah, no issue so far.
Newsflash - this just in: Issue #25.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat May 27, 2006 7:35 pm

mr.zzapback wrote:I thought the Zzap!64 coverartwork of issue 18 would have been more in place (although it was about BEYOND FF -the sequel)
Um, exactly: the feature was about the original game—not the sequel. And seeing as #30 was the only Zzap! issue in which the original game was reviewed, I had to use that cover. It would have been a bit strange to quote Rignall (or some other Zzap! person) about the sequel when writing a feature on the original game.