Official feedback thread for issue 25

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:22 am

About the article on Maximum:

While still very interesting even for people like me (i.e. somebody who doesn't know the magazine from before), it would have been a very good idea to not only show a lot of Maximum covers, but also some scans from the interior (i.e. articles) - it's nice to read about what it did different, but why is it never shown in a picture?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:34 pm

Read my next chunk now. Model 2 and Forbidden Forest.

Model 2
This was an excellent piece and exactly how you should do a techy article.
It was like a bank job - get in blow the safe take the cash and get out.
Not like those over long techy bits in old RG. Nice job Ash 8)

Forbidden Forest
Never heard of this game, but am really enthused about it and need to get a 64 emulator and dig it out. I am even tempted to pick up a little breadbin and add it to my retro family. Its exactly the kind of game that I want to know about, the ones that let you see why one machine might be chosen over another (but don't take that as any kind of weakening of my stance in the Speccy vs Commy battle!).

jumpman

Post by jumpman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:19 am

I enjoyed the Activision article and it made me wonder whether we might have more pieces on the history of big names that are still around today and whether they bear any reseblance to the original company, ie Infogrames/Atari or Tulip/Yeahronimo/Commodore? Perhaps some info on how the name's are still around when the companies aren't.

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:04 am

jumpman wrote:I enjoyed the Activision article and it made me wonder whether we might have more pieces on the history of big names that are still around today and whether they bear any reseblance to the original company, ie Infogrames/Atari or Tulip/Yeahronimo/Commodore? Perhaps some info on how the name's are still around when the companies aren't.
Thanks, I enjoyed writing it :)

I think the idea here though is quite interesting, certainly there's scope for an article looking at labels that no longer mean what they used to.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:33 am

Weblaus wrote:About the article on Maximum:

While still very interesting even for people like me (i.e. somebody who doesn't know the magazine from before), it would have been a very good idea to not only show a lot of Maximum covers, but also some scans from the interior (i.e. articles) - it's nice to read about what it did different, but why is it never shown in a picture?
That's a fair question and one that deserves an honest response.

The reality is that the covers were scanned from my own collection and that to scan the inside pages without getting shadows or blurs around the inner spine would have involved cutting the pages out - something I was reluctant to do. We did discuss scanning the inner pages and Rich Leadbetter himself has asked me why this didn't happen but in the end it just didn't happen. In retrospect I wish I could have found a second set of issues on eBay but that would have been quite expensive.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:14 pm

Surely opening them all up, and putting them all around in a kind of pile, and then photographing them with a high quality digi cam would have also worked to a certain degree?

This raises a good point, since I quite like articles on the history of great retro mags, but how do you convey the internal imagery that people have witnessed over a number of years, into a few screens on a few pages? It's not easy.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:17 pm

Szczepaniak wrote:Surely opening them all up, and putting them all around in a kind of pile, and then photographing them with a high quality digi cam would have also worked to a certain degree?
You buy me that camera and I'll be happy to. ;)

Devin

Post by Devin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Oh I don't know, by not revealing any of the articles within it kinda adds to the mystery and thus the urge to track down issues on ebay! A pristine collection just went under the hammer for around £15 as well, I could've kicked myself :cry:

Jolly good article Ash, anymore like this planned for RetroGamer? I dare anybody to find a complete collection of the tissue papered magazine Sega Power!
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:48 pm

Devin wrote: Jolly good article Ash, anymore like this planned for RetroGamer?
I would love to do more of these. Let's hope that the stars align again sometime soon.

Devin

Post by Devin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:23 pm

Well it can feel like moving the heavens researching a piece at times!

I quite fancy a feature of the lesser known magazines, always thought Megatech would make a nice article. Loved that magazine back in the day.
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:41 am

Ash wrote:The reality is that the covers were scanned from my own collection and that to scan the inside pages without getting shadows or blurs around the inner spine would have involved cutting the pages out - something I was reluctant to do. We did discuss scanning the inner pages and Rich Leadbetter himself has asked me why this didn't happen but in the end it just didn't happen. In retrospect I wish I could have found a second set of issues on eBay but that would have been quite expensive.
I see your point and I can understand the wish to not damage the issues for this, I wouldn't want to do this to my own collection either.

While I think John's idea is a good one (though problematic if the equipment isn't available), I also think some scans with a little shadow/blur would have been quite okay as well - the "Back to the Eighties" scans very obviously aren't close to perfect either.

ajgreen

Post by ajgreen » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:20 pm

So far so good. Really enjoyed the Activision and CPC articles, but no mention of the far inferior Ghostbusters for the Speccy. Probably best not to mention it, come to think of it.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:07 am

Was really good Maximum magazine piece but failed to mention why the magazine really failed to ignite the publics imagination, sure the figures quoted would be impressive today but at that time mags sold well and the numbers quoted arent great.

The mag failed because video game releases went into overdrive for PSX and Saturn but the gamers were slow to catch ion to 32bit so most people were still using 16bit snes and megadrives but playing older games. 3DO and Jaguar made up a percentage of new game sales however small and just wrerent covered, the same is true for SNK's NeoGeo CD, totally overlooked.
Most of the features were longer than the games, gaming was going casual and the mag was going hardcore. It also had to compete with Sega Saturn magazine which was probably the best (and was regarded as at the time) official mag of all time, the official ninty mags were strong selling, and PSX mags were trading through a culture that was breeding around the Playstation.

You had to be there to understand why it failed, incidentally I threw all the mags in the bin when I moved house ling before ebay :) Forgotten all about mag till article, which has reinforced to me how contentious retro gaming really is. Surely its the consumers that take product at market end that provide significance to a product and not its makers, Romero had no idea what people would get from Quake in the same way that Lucas to this day doesnt understand Star Wars. because he made soemthing as an adult that under tens fell in love with, how could he know how it was really percieved?
Just where is Mickey T?

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:36 am

The Universal wrote:Was really good Maximum magazine piece but failed to mention why the magazine really failed to ignite the publics imagination, sure the figures quoted would be impressive today but at that time mags sold well and the numbers quoted arent great.

The mag failed because video game releases went into overdrive for PSX and Saturn but the gamers were slow to catch ion to 32bit so most people were still using 16bit snes and megadrives but playing older games. 3DO and Jaguar made up a percentage of new game sales however small and just wrerent covered, the same is true for SNK's NeoGeo CD, totally overlooked.
Most of the features were longer than the games, gaming was going casual and the mag was going hardcore. It also had to compete with Sega Saturn magazine which was probably the best (and was regarded as at the time) official mag of all time, the official ninty mags were strong selling, and PSX mags were trading through a culture that was breeding around the Playstation.

You had to be there to understand why it failed, incidentally I threw all the mags in the bin when I moved house ling before ebay :) Forgotten all about mag till article, which has reinforced to me how contentious retro gaming really is. Surely its the consumers that take product at market end that provide significance to a product and not its makers, Romero had no idea what people would get from Quake in the same way that Lucas to this day doesnt understand Star Wars. because he made soemthing as an adult that under tens fell in love with, how could he know how it was really percieved?
While I agree with some of your points I think its unfair to say that Maximum failed solely because it didn't have an audience. CVG had a very similar outlook to Maximum but was raking in the readers around 96/97 so I think that Maximum's death can be attributed to a number of factors - missed deadlines/articles that were too long if you weren't interested in the game/lack of interest from Emap/the rise of official magazines and covermounts.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:00 am

I have the first 3 issues of Maximum, after that my local shop stoped selling it which is why I stop buying it, so maybe distribution had something to do with it's downfall..??