Official feedback thread for issue 25

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Official feedback thread for issue 25

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu May 18, 2006 7:01 am

Contents
Developer Lookback: Activision
Whatever happened to: Starfox 2
The Making of Target Renegade
Retro Inspection: Amstrad CPC 464
The Making of Forbidden Forest
Maximum Carnage (Maximum magazine feature)
Company Profile: Hi-Tech Software
Arcade Inspection - Sega Model 2 Board

And obviously much, much more ;)

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu May 18, 2006 7:35 am

Nice looking cover - I'm expecting my copy to arrive tomorrow - i'm going on a weekend break so won't get to see it till late Monday. Ah well - I'll report back when I have got to read it. :)

EDIT - A glaring error on the cover :?
Last edited by LeeT on Thu May 18, 2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu May 18, 2006 9:00 am

WOW! Very nice cover! Great work!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 18, 2006 10:40 am

God damn i'm away until Saturday ! Looking forward to getting back and seeing this latest issue.

Is it just me but every month seems to go by quicker and quicker nowadays !

C4

Post by C4 » Thu May 18, 2006 11:14 am

Nice cover!

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Thu May 18, 2006 11:19 am

Carried over from the other topic...

I think it's astoundingly good. In fact, I'd probably list it as my personal favourite after the Wil Overton covers. Really good stuff. :)

More like this, please!

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu May 18, 2006 11:22 am

Copied and pasted from the dead thread:

I haven't had a chance to read much of it yet but my first impressions are that it's another classic issue. The cover art is beautiful, we've all seen it before but not on the cover of a magazine. Very nice.

John's Japanese rom Translation article looks like a very interesting read and, as a fan of such things I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it and perhaps trying some of his reccomendations.

Nice to see Back to the Eighties has been extended, although its not in a way that I would ever have expected.

Hi-Tec article looks like a particular hi-light. I had a few of these games as a kid (Scooby Doo, Yogi's Treasure Hunt) so I'm interested to hear the story behind them.

A mate of mine recently convinced me to play Forbidden Forest, which I actually hated, so the Making Of should help me to understand what all the fuss is about.

It's great to see the shmups getting some more love in the Retro Rated section. I keep meaning to pick up a Cave shooter but there are so many that I can never decide which to get.

What else? I'm happy to see High Score retrun this month and am pretty excited about the Amstrad feature. One question though - Why no Burning rubber in the Perfect Ten?

Kramer

Post by Kramer » Thu May 18, 2006 11:24 am

I can't wait to read the CPC464 article. So often the forgotten member of the 8-bit triumvirate, mine was my favourite gaming platform as late as 1995.
"Video games, not parents, are to blame for many of these teenage crimes. I'm certain it was Frogger that taught my son to jaywalk."

http://www.theonion.com

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Thu May 18, 2006 12:52 pm

Brilliant - there's going to be a feature on Ghostbusters in it!! I LOVED this game! In general, I think it got slightly above average reviews in most magazines. It never had an 'AA Rave' or an 'Amtix Accolade' but was much loved across all formats amongst the friends I had.

I loved the way that you could save for a better car and better equipment and although the gameplay was repetive, I thought it was a GOOD sort of repetitive - in the same way Pacman is repetitive.

Loved it. Loved it. Actually, it's time for a remake don't you think? Although... I guess the licensing would prevent anyone making a remake ????

Can't wait to read this feature. Keep up the good work :wink:
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu May 18, 2006 1:12 pm

The cover's splendid, but what the Art Ed really deserves a pat on the back for is the Ghostbusters feature - just beautiful, forces you to stop and read it. Give him/her an extra biscuit with tomorrow's tea, and take it out of my pay.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu May 18, 2006 2:09 pm

LeeT wrote:Nice looking cover - I'm expecting my copy to arrive tomorrow - i'm going on a weekend break so won't get to see it till late Monday. Ah well - I'll report back when I have got to read it. :)

Hi-Tech?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Thu May 18, 2006 2:16 pm

revgiblet wrote:
LeeT wrote:Nice looking cover - I'm expecting my copy to arrive tomorrow - i'm going on a weekend break so won't get to see it till late Monday. Ah well - I'll report back when I have got to read it. :)

Hi-Tech?
Thats The One! :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu May 18, 2006 2:18 pm

Not sure about the cover yet. Think it will grow on me though.

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Thu May 18, 2006 3:29 pm

revgiblet wrote:Hi-Tech?
Having received my issue, it's only mis-spelt on the cover and index. The main article has it correctly as Hi-Tec.

And yes, thumbs up to the Ghostbusters piece layout, that's definitely the best so far for the "Making Of" articles :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Thu May 18, 2006 3:35 pm

Mayhem wrote: And yes, thumbs up to the Ghostbusters piece layout, that's definitely the best so far for the "Making Of" articles :)
Ooooooooh, I'm getting so excited I'll never sleep tonight. But sooner to bed, sooner Postie Claus will come round with his bulging sack.

Tis' most certainly the season to be jolly!