From the forum question for issue 26

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed May 17, 2006 2:56 pm

16-bit, with a dash of 8-bit, you could come and go from Mega Drive to Master System to SNES and onwards, everything gaming seemed exciting as so much was going on and the future looked golden.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 18, 2006 4:27 am

forestville wrote:The 8bit era 1987-1989 is the one for me.
at that time i had a speccy 128k with many cool 8) 128k games, inc Where Time Stood Still, Saburture 2, i left school in 1988 and had that bit more money to buy tape based games from boots, whsmith etc.
the mags of the time where also cool 8)
:D
Good point ! Back in the day i hardly had any pocket money, i saved up for games but it would take ages. Then finally when i started getting a low wage to me it was like heaven ! Buy any game i want every week !

Rayek

Post by Rayek » Thu May 18, 2006 10:55 pm

I'm going to have to say the 16-bit era. I grew up around that era, and many of my favorite games (and my favorite franchises) began there. It was also then that Sega tasted the flavour of victory for the first time, if only for a short moment. And what a moment that was!

romanista

Post by romanista » Fri May 19, 2006 3:07 am

The Amiga Era, for me the time, as the market wasn't yet dominated by endless 3d shootemups and racing games, and the genres started in the 8-bit era reached maturity...

(and it might have something to do that it was during my teens, so it left more of an impression, i had time to play the game, and was smart enough to understand what was going on)
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Dimrill

Re:

Post by Dimrill » Fri May 19, 2006 3:50 am

romanista wrote:The Amiga Era, for me the time, as the market wasn't yet dominated by endless 3d shootemups and racing games
Bang on! Every sodding game nowadays has to have frickin 3D in it. I'm really tempted to buy Alien Hominidnddididid.m.n. just to get away for a while. Is it any good though?

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue May 23, 2006 12:01 pm

8 BIT all the way!!

The Breadbin C64 holds some very fond memories for me. Memories and little bits of crisps that are stuck under the keyboard.

Shaun.Bebbington

Post by Shaun.Bebbington » Tue May 23, 2006 12:24 pm

I like the 16-bit Texas TI-99/4a (my first machine) and the "32-bit" Sinclair QL from the 8-bit era as well as the 8-bit Sam Coupé from the 16-bit era... I should stop being pedantic, eh? :-P

Regards,

Shaun.
"It is far easier to apologise afterwards than to obtain permission." - Felix Dennis

C4

Re:

Post by C4 » Tue May 23, 2006 12:28 pm

Shaun.Bebbington wrote:"32-bit" Sinclair QL
The QL was a 16-bit 'business' computer.

Kramer

Post by Kramer » Tue May 23, 2006 2:16 pm

1990. What a year that was. All the 8-bit home computers and consoles were still alive and kicking, the 16-bit home computers were in their prime, PCs were emerging as a serious gaming platform and the Megadrive had just arrived.
When a new game was released, its advertising was mostly used just to list the amount of platforms it was available for!
Can anyone else think of a year when we had so many - commercially significant - machines on the go at one time?
"Video games, not parents, are to blame for many of these teenage crimes. I'm certain it was Frogger that taught my son to jaywalk."

http://www.theonion.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue May 23, 2006 3:01 pm

8 bit, no censored!

GetDexter

Re:

Post by GetDexter » Tue May 23, 2006 3:03 pm

SirClive wrote:8 bit, no censored!
Rock n' roll!
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Shaun.Bebbington

Re:

Post by Shaun.Bebbington » Tue May 23, 2006 5:04 pm

C4 wrote:
Shaun.Bebbington wrote:"32-bit" Sinclair QL
The QL was a 16-bit 'business' computer.
The QL was actually had a 68008 processor running at about 7.5Mhz which was internally 32-bit but it only had an 8-bit data bus, so if you split the difference, we're both right. Sinclair marketted as a 32-bit though as I recall ;-) It could also multi-task which, for 1984, was pretty impressive stuff. Being a Sinclair, there were some compromises though.

Regards,

Shaun.
"It is far easier to apologise afterwards than to obtain permission." - Felix Dennis

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue May 23, 2006 5:08 pm

Well choices, choices here. I'm a C64, SNES kinda freak, so how do I choose? Simple, I don't.

There's one era no one's mentioned yet and deserves recognition as being one of the most exciting ever in computing history. And that's the pre-crash 1980-1983 era for arcade machines. Just think how many classic games were created in that time, and just how exciting it was to be there.

(okay so that could be hard for those younger people, but trust me, it was incredible)

There's just too many games: Pac-man, Asteroids, Missle Command, Tempest, Robotron, Defender, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, Major Havoc, Battlezone, Centipede, Galaxian, Galaga, Scramble, Qix, Crazy Climber... the list just keeps going on :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Utini

Post by Utini » Tue May 23, 2006 6:43 pm

It'd have to be 16-bit era from 1990-1994; a Golden Age, when people weren't so jaded as they are now, where "Lad" culture had yet to be invented by Sony to flog even more units of certain grey console, PC's were for spreadsheets and the whole world wasn't been slowly overtaken by a mountainous heap of derivative FPS's.

Looking back to those times, I remeber actually enjoying gaming - which can't be said of a lot of modern games (except for Guild Wars, which is ace.) :D

Thank God for emulation and eBay!
Last edited by Utini on Wed May 24, 2006 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Tue May 23, 2006 8:58 pm

For me it is easily the 8-bit era, the truly Golden Age. My first computer was a TRS-80 MC-10 with 2K, I had the 16K expansion which dangled of the back. There were no real games for the MC-10 so I had to buy Dragon User magazine and convert the programs of it's bigger brother the "CoCo". Two years later, somehow my parents got me a C-64. Well I'm almost ashamed to say that my first love was a computer. I got a tape drive and a cartridge, which was Loderunner. Sweet lovin' indeed. Sweeter still, a year later by the grace of God, I recieved a 1541 drive with Ultima 3 and Flight Simulator 2. Atari who? Apple what? You never forget your first love and a part of me will always remain there at my desk in 1984. My first Peek, my first Poke the love taps that kept my 1541 spinning. Heady times indeed...