From the forum question for issue 26

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

READBOY

Post by READBOY » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:15 am

Got to be the early 8 bit period. The first time you experience anything always seems to be the most memorable. For me that would be an Atari 2600 playing Space Invaders at primary school. I eventually convinced my dad to buy me a VIC 20 (because it would be more educational :lol: )

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:06 am

The path of my life was profoundly changed forever when my father bought my brother and I a 48K Spectrum in 1983. Simpler games seemed to generate far more excitement in those days, compared to the technically superior 16-bit games later on. So it's the 8-bits for me.

Shaun.Bebbington

Post by Shaun.Bebbington » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:50 am

My serious answer to this is that as our first family computer was the 16-bit TI99/4a, launched sometime back in 1979 or 80, my favourite era has to be the 8-bit one. There are so many classic machines: CBM/PET, VIC-20, ZX81, Spectrum, C64 etc, which lead to so many classic games.

Regards,

Shaun.
"It is far easier to apologise afterwards than to obtain permission." - Felix Dennis

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:16 pm

You're all mental for wanting to go back to those days when you were a socially awkward teenager who could only afford to buy one budget game a month. NOW is the time, baby!
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:05 pm

revgiblet wrote:You're all mental for wanting to go back to those days when you were a socially awkward teenager who could only afford to buy one budget game a month. NOW is the time, baby!

Right that's it!
I'm going to my room!
I hate you all!

....slam!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

jumpman

Post by jumpman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:15 am

I think from any era the best bit to remember is at the end of the machine's lives.

The 8-bit era excited me greatly, but the truly amazing stuff happened after the machines stopped being produced and the commercial giants moved on.

Same with 16/32. Loved my A1200 to bits, but again the truly startling and innovative stuff happened when it was all over bar the shouting.

There will never be that kind of excitement now when systems are so closed and with the combination of short life cycles and backwards compatibility. You buy a new console and keep your old games, so there's no need to push old hardware.

Machines nowadays are so powerful that we're never going to be blown away the way we were when our 8-bit did something thought impossible. Nowadays we know that *nothing* is impossible.
Well, except a good Fifa Street game.

Johnnyclaymore

Post by Johnnyclaymore » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:04 pm

Even though I loved my Spectrum it's gotta be the 16 bit era.
When I first clapped eyes on games like Shadow of the Beast, It Came From The Desert and Carrier Command, the leap in graphics, sound and gameplay blew me away. God bless the Amiga.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:24 pm

My favorite retro era would be the 8-bit, mid-80s era. That's when I owned an Apple IIe and spent the most time playing games and enjoying them. While the 16-bit era produced probably the best games, the 8-bit era remains my favorite.

Tabe

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:29 pm

I keep meaning to post here - so here I am.......

8 bit era for me. It was all fresh back then - So many new ideas coming from so many brilliant bedroom programers. It just cannot be beaten. I really enjoyed the 16 bit era, but when I think of the happiest time of my life, it has got to be the Commodore 64! Oh if only I had a time machine :(

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:43 am

jumpman wrote:Machines nowadays are so powerful that we're never going to be blown away the way we were when our 8-bit did something thought impossible. Nowadays we know that *nothing* is impossible.
Well, except a good Fifa Street game.
But thats the thing, to me machines are so powerful now but how come i hardly buy any PC games nowadays. Theres not many games out there now for the PC which makes me think 'wow'.

At the end of the day playability beats graphics/sound/huge 3d cut scenes etc. Yeah i'm a retro fan but on MAME i regularly play all the older games rather than some latest huge graphic blockbuster.

So many PC games are just amazing graphics, amazing tunes, huge 3d cut scenes but sometimes playability isnt always there. You have huge manuals to read through, a disc which takes a fair while to load up.

To me it was great to see Warioware Inc do so well on the GBA, that was simple simple gameplay but that game seem to outsell many others.

What i love about the 80's era are the amount of playable games you can have a quick go on. Yes of course theres a huge nostalgic thing with that era but for me the games were just simple and playable and so quick to get into.

On the other hand we're spoilt as you can quickly have a go of so many games on so many emulators now.

dj-spuddy

Post by dj-spuddy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:12 pm

16-bit. Street Fighter II.

Need I say more?
Dj-spuddy.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:44 pm

dj-spuddy wrote:16-bit. Street Fighter II.

Need I say more?
yes please :wink:

dj-spuddy

Re:

Post by dj-spuddy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:04 pm

SirClive wrote:
dj-spuddy wrote:16-bit. Street Fighter II.

Need I say more?
yes please :wink:
Shhhh you! :) Just a great fighting game, Definately a classic. I actually have a Jamma arcade machine setup right now playing Street Fighter II.
Dj-spuddy.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:28 pm

I don't know how to wire up the 5th and 6th buttons on my cab, so can't play SF types and I have a soul edge pcb gathering dust :cry:

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:43 pm

I'll do it for ya
you want a removeable or permant fixture, it wires to the board not the cab

I owe you one so no prob...